• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

AltoidBox

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything from official sources that Elio had possession of an engine prototype. And regarding the 81mpg number I was pretty sure that was referring to computer simulations.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My first impression of the IAV engine was: old technology w/the single overhead cam and 2-valve head; more a low revving torque motor, than HP motor.
Modern power plants are a 4-valve head and dual overhead cams, which rev higher for more HP. This motor seems more at home in a Massey Ferguson tractor.

BTW, I'm in big on the refundable Elio deposit since last year, so I'm following this saga very closely and hoping for the best.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My first impression of the IAV engine was: old technology w/the single overhead cam and 2-valve head; more a low revving torque motor, than HP motor.
Modern power plants are a 4-valve head and dual overhead cams, which rev higher for more HP. This motor seems more at home in a Massey Ferguson tractor.

BTW, I'm in big on the refundable Elio deposit since last year, so I'm following this saga very closely and hoping for the best.
Long as it is reliable with low cost easy maintenance..

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

This is just a slightly updated version of the old Suzuki/Geo 1.0 liter 3-cylinder engines. They have not formally said this however I think enough torque to keep acceleration right around 10 seconds was probably one of their goals along with keeping it simple to keep the price down. The addition of modern multi port fuel injection and variable valve timing are really the only major updates I have heard about but these should help make this engine even more fuel efficient.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We truly are a microwave society. Good lord, he is building a vehicle not a go cart. Do you want it safe and reliable? The concept would be a complete failure if he rushes out an inferior product. He has one chance to make a first impression.
I not only want it safe and reliable but I also want it for $6,800, 84 mpg, projected 5 star safety rating and made in the USA. That is what is promised and that is what I want. Why should I accept less? I am not willing to compromise simply so I can get my Elio at an earlier date. As HTJ says, you only have once for a first impression so it had better be a good one. Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The thing that makes most people o please worry is the level of transparency. In most companies, I would guess, there are far more iterations and much more time and money spent "getting it right". USING the Mustang as an example, how many different iterations did that go through? At least three. The first "Mustang was built in 1961 but didn't see production for 4 years. This was a car based on the already in production Ford Falcon. Of course, as secretive as people were, we have no idea how confident those close to the product were about its success. The Elio will have its share of challenges as well (already has had many). However, we get to see this all first hand. We stand in a place in history where we get to not only see a car company being born but we get to be a part of it as well. Talking about the cars and keeping the buzz positive and in the media in a positive light will go far to ensure the success of this endeavor. We all benefit directly by getting a great product and watching the company grow but we also benefit indirectly as other manufacturers jump on the band wagon as driving 3 wheelers becomes socially accepted and popular. This will help clear our skies, reduce our oil dependence, create American jobs, and make the roadways beautiful with Elko colors. Hey, as another bonus, lighter cars tear up the roads less... saving taxpayersvdollars AND resulting in better roads. Go Elio!

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is just a slightly updated version of the old Suzuki/Geo 1.0 liter 3-cylinder engines. They have not formally said this however I think enough torque to keep acceleration right around 10 seconds was probably one of their goals along with keeping it simple to keep the price down. The addition of modern multi port fuel injection and variable valve timing are really the only major updates I have heard about but these should help make this engine even more fuel efficient.

I thought that's one reason they can keep cost down. Take an existing engine and update it and in turn less development cost?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that's one reason they can keep cost down. Take an existing engine and update it and in turn less development cost?

This is also pretty much my understanding of their reasoning behind this particular engine choice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom