• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

tenbsmith

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve heard the Elio rear end referred to as a Kammback, a standard approach to auto rears that provides low drag and thus better gas mileage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback

I’m another one not quite ready to pull the trigger. I heard of Elio less than a week ago, so my opinions are still changing. I love the concept and the goals, but have concerns about financials. The idea of waiting until the factory is tooling up is very logical. Another milestone would be a third-party description of driving a prototype with an IAV engine and something close to production transmission. When will transmission be selected?

On the other hand, I may throw $100 into the ring as a sign of support prior to that. Enough reservations will help them convince other investors and partners.

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the weird fold/line across the hood is so they could try to duct air out of the engine compartment and over the hood? Otherwise, it seems like the line would just disturb the laminar flow. Ducting air out of the hood (so long as it didn't disturb the air above the hood) would lower the drag coefficient.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The wheel spatz are fiber glass and should weigh less than those utility trailer metal fenders they replaced. So perhaps a weight saving ?? I lean toward liking the P-3 tail end better but storage space won out as well as ease of access, so the result is a squared off rear end with better running /tail/brake lights.An aircraft with airfoil wing structure has different drag forces that lend themselves to fuselage streamlining to enhance overall lift! You obviously do not want "lift" on a ground based vehicle . In any event, lets get this machine form into enough prototypes with the correct IAV engine and drive train so real testing for MPG can be made and endurance runs can be monitored. RB

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do not care for the hood crease line either but wonder if it has something to do with the inboard headlamp placement where a totally smooth hood line transition was not possible?

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It appears the Kammback info reinforces my take on the effect of a squared off rear versis a bullet end! Thanks" tenbsmith" for your time in digging that info up!!! RB

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't really like the P4 design since I think it is clumsy, but I'd rather have that than nothing at all.

On a different note - I looked at what the plastics company builds and their web site shows shipping containers...lots and lots of shipping containers. I did not see any kind of automotive or motorcycle parts.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mounting the larger, auto plate would have been easy enough to do with a blended in mounting panel without redesigning the entire rear section.

Top Bottom