• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is no joke...shipping containers. Here is the link to their web site of 'typical products produced by PRC' They may be qualified, but it is abit of a shocker. I don't see any car parts listed on their web site...but I do see a picture of an un-manned drone.
http://www.prccal.com/products.cfm

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to read a discussion about Elio Motors production progress...or lack of it.

Elio said they would hire 900 people late in 2013...(folks, that is only 6-8 months away), with production starting in 9-10 months...Where is the progress?

Here are my insights/questions:
1. FB, why so many new posts mostly just to introduce a new t-shirt, and little about production updates?
2. Plant - Has Elio actually paid anything towards leasing the building?
3. Other business progress - Has Elio done any real consumer web site design, location scouting, list of available options, Build your Elio Web Software, etc...is there any anything substantial happening?
4. FAQ Elio Site - Why are there no answers to all the "what is the production progress" questions?
5. Is Elio looking to sell out to GM or Ford?
6. Is it really American Made... when there are so many companies named that are owned by foreign companies?
7. Are news from any of the supplier companies about doing anything towards Elio production?

Discuss....

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. Because most people are stupid ( I don't mean uneducated, I mean STUPID), moderately functional buffoons who may be impressed enough by a new t-shirt displayed on social media to think 'These guys are movin' forward! I gotta get on board!'. This is a good marketing strategy based on the demographic.
2. Elio has bought equipment in the plant, to the tune of $2M, and has a paid lease on roughly 1.1Msqft of the plant.
3. Production process? There have been semi-regular updates on the vehicle design & development process - how can you start producing something without having all the systems designed??? You're putting the cart in front of the horse.
4. Because there is no 'production' taking place, see #3.
5. I think a sell-out is too early to speculate about at this point. Why would one of the big 3 ante up now? Too early in the game for that.
6. So what if the supplying company is based in a foreign country? Country of incorporation has nothing to do with the components being made in the USA. The manufacturing company I work for is incorporated in Ireland, does that mean the parts are made in Ireland?? (If so, let me know, I'll request whiskey be added to the cafeteria menu!! :)) They've stated the bulk of components will be made in the US, they never claimed profits will stay in the US. I hope they're able to meet this goal. If they start sourcing many poor quality components from cheap Chinese suppliers, I'll think seriously about walking away. I probably couldn't count the number of threads on all of our fingers just in the BMW E39 forums about the ridiculously short service life of cheap Chinese components vs the higher quality components.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I watched a few interviews where Paul clearly said that funding was available, but the amount of time it would take the legal team to gain access to the funding was hindering progress in 2013 (funding for 2014 ?). I think that the funny thing to see here is how so many people act like this is a simple flip of a switch. State a demand, "I want to make a car". Now flip the switch, POOF, "WOW, there it is. That is exactly what I wanted". There forward progress has been clearly stated in multiple articles. I read some dated February 11th, 18th and 19th, 2014 that all focused on Elio motors signing a deal with Comau to take care of their automation and the integration of new systems with the preexisting equipment already in the plant. It was also highlighted on there Facebook page and twitter feed. Is that the type of progress update you were looking for?

As for the marketing that they do via social media; that is necessary to generate excitement and in turn demand for there product. They have to make a big push towards getting potential customers to make a commitment or there company will never get off the ground. Basic economics. If there is no demand, then there will be no need to generate a supply. Hence the reservation system. This helps them gauge the number of people that will want to purchase a vehicle. This way they can more accurately estimate the required amount of supply without over producing beyond there demand, saving wasted money on stagnate product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMO. The number of people that reserve a car has nothing to do with trying to determine the amount of interest there is for the car and whether it will make . What we need to know is, how many people that know about the car reserved one. If only 25,000 people know about the car and just over 10,000 reserved one, then they will not be able to make enough of them. On the other hand, if 3 million people know about the car and there is only just over 10,000 reservations, EM will never get off the ground.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMO. The number of people that reserve a car has nothing to do with trying to determine the amount of interest there is for the car and whether it will make . What we need to know is, how many people that know about the car reserved one. If only 25,000 people know about the car and just over 10,000 reserved one, then they will not be able to make enough of them. On the other hand, if 3 million people know about the car and there is only just over 10,000 reservations, EM will never get off the ground.

That info would be invaluable, but difficult to Quantify.

Scott Miller

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I think it is way too early to be worrying about how many people know of the Elio and who is in and who isn't. I for one haven't committed yet to a reservation...But that doesn't mean I won't be picking up an Elio. Personally I can't wait...and neither can my wallet. But once these things get out where people can see them and there is a little advertising, it will be feast or famine. Everyone I have talked to thought this car was pretty sweet. Especially here out west where you have to drive everywhere and nothing is really close. 80+ miles to the gallon is a no-brainer for a commuter. A little bump in horsepower and this car would be awesome.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it is way too early to be worrying about how many people know of the Elio and who is in and who isn't.
Absolutely not! That is the best way to make an educated guess at your production demand. No business executive would blindly assume anything.

But once these things get out where people can see them and there is a little advertising, it will be feast or famine.

There's that blind assumption. Hope in one hand and sh...... well I assume you know the rest.

Everyone I have talked to thought this car was pretty sweet. Especially here out west where you have to drive everywhere and nothing is really close. 80+ miles to the gallon is a no-brainer for a commuter. A little bump in horsepower and this car would be awesome.

I have to agree, but I would like the mileage over the horsepower.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it is way too early to be worrying about how many people know of the Elio and who is in and who isn't. I for one haven't committed yet to a reservation...But that doesn't mean I won't be picking up an Elio. Personally I can't wait...and neither can my wallet. But once these things get out where people can see them and there is a little advertising, it will be feast or famine. Everyone I have talked to thought this car was pretty sweet. Especially here out west where you have to drive everywhere and nothing is really close. 80+ miles to the gallon is a no-brainer for a commuter. A little bump in horsepower and this car would be awesome.
Totally understandable! It's not easy to part with your hard earned money w/ no guarantees. Wait until EM confirm that robotic arms are installed at their factory because that's what everybody's waiting for...some activity going on, workers being hired, etc. For me it's a little too late to be worrying because they already have my 1K! I give my money a chance at 50/50 if the factory is in full swing by July/August and if EM have not change the advertised price of $6,800. then I would say my money is in good hands.;)

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Totally understandable! It's not easy to part with your hard earned money w/ no guarantees. Wait until EM confirm that robotic arms are installed at their factory because that's what everybody's waiting for...some activity going on, workers being hired, etc. For me it's a little too late to be worrying because they already have my 1K! I give my money a chance at 50/50 if the factory is in full swing by July/August and if EM have not change the advertised price of $6,800. then I would say my money is in good hands.;)

I too am not invested (yet), and I want one just as bad as everyone else. I'm waiting to see the finalized design, the factory tooling installed and so on. I also hate that they keep changing stuff, and not always (IMO) for the best. I hope to see a decent product produced. I really hope to see options and metallic color choices, I also hope to see interior choices too. One of these days I'll be happy to drop a deposit, but for now I'm in a wait and see mode. I suspect there are a lot of people like me.

Top Bottom