• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Cruise control, windshield wipper variable speed control (should be standard) and a spare windshield are what I'de like too leave the factory distribution center with. LED fog lights will be added as and option or after market addition. Under other topics, distance home have been diccussed. I'm planning on going to Boise, Id., then depending on the time of year, up the ALCAN to Fairbanks. Should be around 4,000 miles. Flying road rock is a certainty!
Like the "exposure" discussions above! There is another class of buyer who will wait untill after the first or second year of production inorder to assure design "de-bugging"/duriability and service availibility. For us "List-ers" , the high end folks will provide a shot of capital that should swell as Elio production proceeds down the "All In" and "Non- All In" lists. Having reliable Elio vehicle exposure on the road will be the real advertising/selling opportunities! Thanks for the good discussion above!

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. When was the interview on the $300 within price? I hope that wasn't many years ago, as costs of everything keep going up and every delay in production can cost more.
2. Picking up at the factory will be extremely costly to do. Think of it, are you really going to drive straight home? (or are you going to cruise around a bit...go down to New Orleans, then over to the Florida panhandle, up the east coast, and then cruise back through Shreveport just to wave hello...etc). Heck yeah you will!
3. As for ride quality, there was a video review on the P2 from someone allowed to drive it. As I recall, they said that the ride was a bit harsh. (I will search for the video) I foresee replacing the coil over shocks with air bag units for a much smoother ride. Yet another aftermarket part.
4. I am perplexed that Elio acts so uptight about airflow over the body, but they have not dealt with the huge gapping holes at the front suspension. The Elio engineers told me that this a big issue. Air will flow into the radiator and out these opening and that will disturb the air down the side of the vehicle. The problem is caused by the mounting locating of the a-arms. Perhaps it is a cost issue to fix? Maybe they will have to tackle it to achieve 84 mpg.
5. 84 mpg - Is that calculated at 50mph, 70 mph or 100mph (We call that driving "Texas style")? Will it be with a 120 pound driver or two 220 pound people? Real world or simulations? With the a/c on or off? I suspect it will not be a real world attainable number, except for those who drive hyper-mile style. My guess is we should expect closer to 65 or 70 mpg highway in real world scenarios.
6. At some point, Elio will stop the 50% incentive...that will be the point you know they are fully vested in production.

cnceditor

Reaction score
Having placed a deposit on an Aptera early on in its development and seeing it not materialize, I have been watching the progress of the Elio with great interest. Digging around for more info I came across this podcast (discussion of Elio starts at the 32:38 mark)

Here are more written articles:

http://carnewscafe.com/2013/08/22/e...hy-they-arent-viable-even-if-they-are-funded/

I would love to see the car come to fruition, but after the Aptera vaporware mess, I hold my breath….

Appreciate the mentions.

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Aptera failed not because it wasn't cool, but because it was not designed for the general public. It had a very limited market of people who like unique vehicles and are into hyper-mileage. The Elio appeals to a vastly different demographic. Grandma can drive it, a teenager can hotrod it, a business person can commute in it...etc. It does stand a good chance at making it as part of our culture and if they are successful, it will inspiring GM, Ford and the others to copy it.

As for the podcast clip...the guy makes statements that are somewhat misdirecting. He said Elio wants to produce 250k cars over the next three years, then compares it to the number of Toyota Corollas sold in the US in just one year. He then passes judgment and laughs like it is impossible.

I say, consider this...According to WebBikeWorld, there were 146,779 off-road motorcycles sold in the U.S. in 2008...why not use that as a comparison? Sure the numbers vary from year to year, but in general, it is safe to say that over three years, over 400,000 off-road motorcycles are sold in the US. Similar prices, similar buyers...this seems like a better comparison. Actually since the Elio is a cross breed, they should find buyers from both cars and motorcycle markets...meaning an even bigger market share.

He also made dumb statements like "Their thinking is.." He does not know what "their thinking" is. He knows what his thinking is and he has already come to his own conclusions. Now he wants to convince everyone that he is right. Judge for yourself.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Aptera failed not because it wasn't cool, but because it was not designed for the general public. It had a very limited market of people who like unique vehicles and are into hyper-mileage. The Elio appeals to a vastly different demographic. Grandma can drive it, a teenager can hotrod it, a business person can commute in it...etc. It does stand a good chance at making it as part of our culture and if they are successful, it will inspiring GM, Ford and the others to copy it.

As for the podcast clip...the guy makes statements that are somewhat misdirecting. He said Elio wants to produce 250k cars over the next three years, then compares it to the number of Toyota Corollas sold in the US in just one year. He then passes judgment and laughs like it is impossible.

I say, consider this...According to WebBikeWorld, there were 146,779 off-road motorcycles sold in the U.S. in 2008...why not use that as a comparison? Sure the numbers vary from year to year, but in general, it is safe to say that over three years, over 400,000 off-road motorcycles are sold in the US. Similar prices, similar buyers...this seems like a better comparison. Actually since the Elio is a cross breed, they should find buyers from both cars and motorcycle markets...meaning an even bigger market share.

He also made dumb statements like "Their thinking is.." He does not know what "their thinking" is. He knows what his thinking is and he has already come to his own conclusions. Now he wants to convince everyone that he is right. Judge for yourself.[/quot]
KScarguy- That was a home run!
:cool:

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2. Picking up at the factory will be extremely costly to do. Think of it, are you really going to drive straight home? (or are you going to cruise around a bit...go down to New Orleans, then over to the Florida panhandle, up the east coast, and then cruise back through Shreveport just to wave hello...etc). Heck yeah you will!

I'm just hoping my Elio will be available in either summer 2015 or summer 2016 so I can have good weather to drive it back home. I'd like to take a road trip to go get it but I can only do it around Christmas or in the summer. I'd probably need at least a week to do it. I can have it shipped but that would be a lot less fun

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
delivery...Hmmm? now you got me thinking what a custom built Elio trailer would look like. Three ramps like a motorcycle trailer, low to the ground and made of lightweight aluminum. I can just picture one Elio towing a racing version Elio!

Yes, another aftermarket item - A custom built trailer for towing an Elio behind your motorhome.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
delivery...Hmmm? now you got me thinking what a custom built Elio trailer would look like. Three ramps like a motorcycle trailer, low to the ground and made of lightweight aluminum. I can just picture one Elio towing a racing version Elio!

Yes, another aftermarket item - A custom built trailer for towing an Elio behind your motorhome.
The middle ramp would only have to be 3ft long.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was at the Knoxville event yesterday. There were a number of folks there out of pure curiosity, having been invited by someone who was really enthused. From the conversations that I had and those that I overheard, it seems to me that once people see it and understand what it is, the great majority of them want one of their own. I heard zero negative comments. The P4 is going to have enormous exposure at Daytona and Savannah later this month. I expect to see a huge spike in the number of reservations by the end of the month and going forward because of increased word of mouth and social media activity.
I am SO JEALOUS! Thanks for sharing your experience at Knoxville. I have been keeping track of Elio's orders since January 23 and have observed a definite increase in the average per day number. I'm not a huge risk taker when it comes to cars but I simply feel that this car is going to happen and next year there will be a creamsicle one in my carport (and for which I will be wishing for a garage instead). I'm all in only at the $100 level but will upgrade as soon as I can.

Top Bottom