• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Rallies. OMG ! No doubt about that. With a car,(Side-by-side seating, 4wheels and likely 4 doors) the expenses and responsibilities that accompany such a purchase can be daunting. At the risk of being repetitive here, an Elio is going to be seen as a "personal mobility vehicle" that will be capable of freeway speeds and the ability to do so from state line to state line at any time of the year. Ownership, or at least access to such a vehicle, is likely to have a profoundly positive effect. Trust in God, but keep bailing.
I wonder if there will be space in my personal mobility vehicle for my personal mobility vehicle.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
smart car rallies have continued to a big hit. Each rally my wife and I have gone to have been over 200 cars and 400 people. The rallies have stretched the capacity of low cost hotel lodging.
I had a couple of Miatas, was in a club and went to events (racing events too) also a few bug jams. I could see something very similar happening with the Elio. Heck maybe Paul would sign some the cars like at the Miata events (the designer of the car would sign his name under the trunk lid)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a couple of Miatas, was in a club and went to events (racing events too) also a few bug jams. I could see something very similar happening with the Elio. Heck maybe Paul would sign some the cars like at the Miata events (the designer of the car would sign his name under the trunk lid)
If I am getting an autograph, I want it to be somewhere other than inside the trunk lid. You don't autograph a piece of art on the back, you autograph it on the front. So now, where can I ask Paul to autography my Elio? Hmm, thinking. . . . I will know better once I see it up close and personal. LOL :-) Z

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
smart car rallies have continued to a big hit. The rallies have stretched the capacity of low cost hotel lodging.
LOL I'm going to sleep in my Element. LOL
hqdefault.jpg

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I am getting an autograph, I want it to be somewhere other than inside the trunk lid. You don't autograph a piece of art on the back, you autograph it on the front. So now, where can I ask Paul to autography my Elio? Hmm, thinking. . . . I will know better once I see it up close and personal. LOL :) Z
I believe the reasoning behind the underside was because he was using a sharpie and it would eventually wash/wear off.
That being said if it was a planned thing they could clear coat the autograph at the factory.
It should be on the dash next to the placard with my name and order # engraved on it.. (if you're going to dream, dream big)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the reasoning behind the underside was because he was using a sharpie and it would eventually wash/wear off.
That being said if it was a planned thing they could clear coat the autograph at the factory.
It should be on the dash next to the placard with my name and order # engraved on it.. (if you're going to dream, dream big)
I was actually thinking about a painted on signature! Your solutions is great though. LOL :-) Z

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$6,800 ?

A 2014 Nissan Versa at $10,990 weighs 2363 pounds. The cost to purchase is $4.65 per pound.
A ?year Elio at $6,800 weighs 1,228 pounds. The cost to purchase is $5.54 per pound.

The purpose of this is not to say we buy vehicles by the pound but the price we pay for a new Elio will be $1.01 per pound of materials more than a Nissan Versa.

If Nissan can sell for that cost why can't Elio?
One month later (June 19, 2014) Paul Elio said in an interview with The Sports Car Guys that "1200 pounds of stuff costs less than 2400 pounds of stuff, it just does".

Last edited:
Top Bottom