• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One month later (June 19, 2014) Paul Elio said in an interview with The Sports Car Guys that "1200 pounds of stuff costs less than 2400 pounds of stuff, it just does".
I'm sure Nissan has that whole cost savings through sheer volume thing down better than Elio does. Even if Elio could buy at Nissan's price per pound, that doesn't mean Elio has to pass that on to us. They need to make some money to keep in business. Maybe they'll offer more as standard equipment. I'm guessing the Nissan has the same power Windows, etc as the Elio (probably more standard)

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My point is not about the Nissan. Take the 2014 Ford Fusion S at 3333 pounds and a price of $20,295. The price per pound of stuff would be about $6.08.
Like P.E. said, "1200 pounds of stuff costs less than 2400 pounds of stuff, it just does". Run the numbers for any econo box and you will come up with similar numbers. It is not a stretch to realize that the Elio can be built for $6,800.
Just sayin' :)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
While it is true that the cost of materials is cheaper on a much lighter vehicle like the Elio, as this is only logical, we also must remember that there are certain fixed costs which don't change much no matter what the vehicle weighs. It takes a lot of money to run an assembly plant and that number does not change much whether you are assembling a 2400 pound econobox or a 1200 pound Elio. When you spread these others costs over more weight the cost per pound drops which generally would make a heavier car, of similar quality, cheaper per pound to assemble.

The Elio can be sold for as little money as it can because of a combination of fewer materials and mass production of enough units to spread the fixed costs to as many vehicles as possible.

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While it is true that the cost of materials is cheaper on a much lighter vehicle like the Elio, as this is only logical, we also must remember that there are certain fixed costs which don't change much no matter what the vehicle weighs. It takes a lot of money to run an assembly plant and that number does not change much whether you are assembling a 2400 pound econobox or a 1200 pound Elio. When you spread these others costs over more weight the cost per pound drops which generally would make a heavier car, of similar quality, cheaper per pound to assemble.

The Elio can be sold for as little money as it can because of a combination of fewer materials and mass production of enough units to spread the fixed costs to as many vehicles as possible.

Something else to consider...Assembly costs depend on how many "parts" go on the vehicle. I would conservatively guess, from 25% to 30% fewer parts on the Elio. EM is also looking to make LESS per unit sold.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the reasoning behind the underside was because he was using a sharpie and it would eventually wash/wear off.
That being said if it was a planned thing they could clear coat the autograph at the factory.
It should be on the dash next to the placard with my name and order # engraved on it.. (if you're going to dream, dream big)
On the inside opened door panel in addition to the normal VIN and specs listed there, I would settle for a distinct and separate plate with both the assembly line Number Paul's signature.

Last edited:

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the inside opened door panel in addition to the normal VIN and specs listed there, I would settler for a distinct and separate plate with both the assembly line Number Paul's signature.
Maybe Paul could include a 'Thanks for Believing in Me', for the, '1K All In, with no refund, believers'???
That and my Elio would be Fine.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm digging all the production savings points of Goofy, Dustoff, Outofthebox and Ty. One other savings point that distinguishes the Elio. It is almost an unwritten contract between us fans and Mr. Elio; the more off -the-shelf the better because those parts already have the economy of scale built right in. I like most am an unabashed nickle squeezers and far far more interested in economy than status symbol by a long shot. Most exciting of all is that if this Elio hits this price point correctly all this talk and waiting in anticipation is going to seem silly. I really doubt that there very many people here who have genuinely participated in an Idea that goes stratospheric but it will make all the scoffers break their necks trying to get on the other side of there arguments today.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who lives in a trailer, smokes, can't do simple math, complains about Wal-Mart but shops there every day, and lives off the government? Oh never mind I found the answer.
Whew! After the first two, I thought you were talking about me.

I'm innocent on the last 3 counts though.

Trailer trash since 92...

Top Bottom