• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OOPS! I got my US and Canadian mixed up. Interesting tho, how EM has continued to hold to their "goal" price of $6800...so far. As for the options...what I buy would be the same either way...base model 5-speed & no options. It is also possible that to get the EM with A/C or heat would be extra, driving their "out the door" cost would be even higher. So, 1 EM or 2 Elios with a "tiny bit" to spare. :D
I think electric windows, and A.C. are standard. With so much time passing I don't factor in my 1,000 deposit or the $500 incentive- it'll be good to see the invoice starting with a base price $5300, for some early 1k all-ins a bit lower than that!!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
outside of being a vehicle, Meccanica and Elio are an apples and oranges comparison .... I have no doubt that they will find a small market, hope they do well .... per their website, projected top speed and range are better than most but aren't up to that of an Elio .... doesn't appear to be a year round vehicle, no mention of heat, AC, or other options .... producing only 120 a year which equals 10 per month / 2.5 per week .... numbers like that indicate a one horse operation .... yep, other than being vehicles, they have little in common
One of the partners of the one horse operation reference recreates custom 1950's 356 Speedstser and Roadster models. (InterMeccanica) It seems they have engineering and building skills, automotive backgrounds, and automotive connections.

Start small, hand build 120 quality vehicles in year one as a Pilot fleet, a few more year two while ramping up to mass production year three. Some say EM should have started small. I don't criticize either business model as long as they get a vehicle to market in numbers that meet market demand and make a fair profit.

Can't compare the Solo EV to an Elio ICE in terms of performance. They are two very different vehicles for two different demographics, for two different commuter applications. They are both "and" vehicle autocycles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hog

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Being that it's a new out of country vehicle, it might be made to meet current US crash standards before they can export it.
There are a lot of vehicles in EU that we don't have here simply because they don't meet safety or emission standards, and it's not cost effective for them to modify it to meet those standards. That changes then they turn 26 years old, then they can be exported; but who wants to buy a new 26 year old car?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Being that it's a new out of country vehicle, it might be made to meet current US crash standards before they can export it.
There are a lot of vehicles in EU that we don't have here simply because they don't meet safety or emission standards, and it's not cost effective for them to modify it to meet those standards. That changes then they turn 26 years old, then they can be exported; but who wants to buy a new 26 year old car?
The Solo ZEV will not have emission issues and importing a motocycle from Canada is a cakewalk as I understand it.

My issue is that it's more likely to never get built like so many other enclosed three wheeler concepts.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The Solo ZEV will not have emission issues and importing a motocycle from Canada is a cakewalk as I understand it.
My issue is that it's more likely to never get built like so many other enclosed three wheeler concepts.
Never said emissions for the ZEV, I know it's an EV; I had said US crash standards (aka safety).
They had to do the same thing for the Smart.
The Smart <----link) first came out in Europe in 1998, it took them a while before it met US standards; part of the reason they came over here is because they were made by Mercedes, which owned Chrysler at the time.

In the link you'll see the convertible version of the Smart which I don't think will ever make it over here.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
In the Smart link, they have this line of information on it; it very well can apply to the ZEV:

Before 2008, smart cars were only available in the United States as "grey market" imports, such as ZAP. U.S. federal regulations allow certain grey market importing in large quantities provided the vehicles are modified and tested to conform to U.S. safety and emissions regulations. smarts imported into the United States by "The Defiance Company LLC", modified by G&K Automotive Conversion in Santa Ana, California, and distributed and sold by independent dealerships which were not affiliated with Mercedes. U.S. regulations did not permit the purchase and import of used smart CDi vehicles from Canada, as the diesel powered Canadian smarts did not meet American emissions regulations.

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned safety.

I don't know what they consider "large quantities".

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Electra Mechanica Solo.
MV17black-375x400.jpg

I think it looks good in black.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The single seater Solo EV commuter appears to be evolving. I like the new look. They say the Solo's chassis is nearing completion.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Top Bottom