• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electric Elio?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Certainly is interesting. You can look for comparables on the EVAlbum.. BTW I have almost a similar to this trike in my garage, cept the pettals have been removed, and the batteries are aft, not under.. http://www.evalbum.com/2091

Whoa, nice! Etek with a Sevcon controller. That must be a blast to ride. A couple years ago I started tinkering with motorized bicycles. Started with a weed eater powered mountain bike, using a free weed eater off Craigslist. Then onto a 2 stroke "China Girl" motor on a vintage Schwinn. Now my current bike is a hub motored Schwinn Cruiser Supreme, running 24s2p lipo. Tons of fun for a budget build and will break 50 MPH in short bursts (52 MPH is the fastest I have gone), that takes about 5,300 watts which is not something you want to pull through a 1,000 watt motor for very long.

I am getting the itch to build another gas powered bike, but since my electric has been so trouble free I just keep putting it off, LOL.

B617_left_scaled.JPG

B617_right_rear_scaled.JPG

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting the itch to build an electric motorcycle, but can't afford to do so just now :p

I started thinking about making one too, likely using a Suzuki SV650 chassis, Etek motor and custom built pack using something like 18650 cells. Maybe someday, but too many other projects right now. Thinking gas powered drift trike next since I do not have any "stupid fun" projects at the moment.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I started thinking about making one too, likely using a Suzuki SV650 chassis, Etek motor and custom built pack using something like 18650 cells. Maybe someday, but too many other projects right now. Thinking gas powered drift trike next since I do not have any "stupid fun" projects at the moment.

I'm wanting to make an electric chopper, using a big-twin hardtail frame I found on craigslist. But unfortunately, finances as they are, it looks like I'm going to have to pass on it for now. But I'm kind of in love with the idea of a silent chopper with a large, steampunk-looking battery case in place of a v-twin motor.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Awesome. I like what this guy did with his cells to look like a sci-fi V-twin: http://www.gizmag.com/juicer-old-timey-electric-bicycles/21045/

WOW! That is a scathingly brilliant design! Now I'm thinking I'll need to do something in that vein. I also really like the LiFePo4 cells--more for their energy density than any other reason--and I think a boxy v-twin configuration could house prismatic cells quite well. Copper-piped heat sinks on the outside of the battery box for air cooling (like high end computer processors use) will add function and visual texture to the arrangement.

Now look at what you've done. Now I gotta go find a way to make some extra money so I can build this thing. :p

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
HD also recently made an electric HOG. . They also run the Electric MC's at "The Isle of Mann" in England. (Probably spelled it wrong)
Ultra fast and quiet.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Typically the MPGe is at least double the MPG for equivalent sized cars(using LiIon). So I'd expect an all electric Elio to get at least 168 MPGe. So yes 216MPGe is probably with-in reach.
Just a thought.. If it's ALL ELECTRIC. That means you plug it in rather than fill it up. So how do you measure it in MPG? Hybrids I understand because you never plug them in so the source of all power is in the tank, whether it uses the engine or the "golf cart mode."

Top Bottom