• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elgin Dash Got Nixed

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is VERY upsetting!:mad: They're going with a "standard" gauge set that's easy to read at a glance? We need to put together a protest to "Save The Elgin Dash". Who's with me! :rockon:....... [crickets chirping].
I will go to the women's rights march and hire a professional protestor. This is best not handled by an ordinary complainer.:D:rolleyes:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I totally agree. I was willing to give the Elgin dash a try, but if they're not going to make it standard, then it just needs to be shelved until *after* they start delivering vehicles. Maybe for Elio v2 they can offer a "limited edition commemorative dash"or something. But I bet it would be damn expensive.
Depends on what you mean by "Dam expensive"
And good standard gauge set (like the one's I planned on using) runs around $650; that's for both "pods" 1 - had the Speedo and the Tach 1 - had the 4 gauges (fuel, temp, oil pres, amps) in it. And at that price, it is quite typical for a full gauge setup (not installed).
I could see the Elgin going for $800 to $1K for both pods which I see as dam expensive for a gauge setup.

Sound right?

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "Dam expensive"
And good standard gauge set (like the one's I planned on using) runs around $650; that's for both "pods" 1 - had the Speedo and the Tach 1 - had the 4 gauges (fuel, temp, oil pres, amps) in it. And at that price, it is quite typical for a full gauge setup (not installed).
I could see the Elgin going for $800 to $1K for both pods which I see as dam expensive for a gauge setup.

Sound right?

Did you sell them your gauge set? Creativity and problem solving are valuable commodities.:D

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather EM learn how to start being a bit more financially responsible than adding yet another offshoot development tangent like...
"A handful of our customers might like it if we were to sink a boat load of resources into developing and producing a handful of Elgins".

So in spending money and time they don't have, when they don't even have a finished pre-production prototype or real-world stats...
They'll possibly delay production even longer. But then they'll be able to theoretically offer Elgins that cost them $500 each...
At a loss to themselves but for a price that said handful of customers will probably consider to be reasonable.

Pretty much sum it up?

You must have some pretty solid inside information to come to some of your conclusions. But, I'll give you a "B-" for imagination.

Edit: "C"

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you sell them your gauge set? Creativity and problem solving are valuable commodities.:D
They might have talked to the people I sent from American Classic and worked a deal with them; but I can't say that for sure. The new dash does look pretty close to their stuff, and they do make a number of custom build gauges (basically built to order) and with a volume EM would do, they could probably do the 2 pods from under $200 for the full gauge set which would be a pretty decent deal.
When I get a chance to see a production set, I'll have to look.

Top Bottom