• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio. Car With A Hernia.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
120214-2013-Morgan-3-wheeler-f.jpg
Here are images of the routing of the exhaust in the P5 and E series. If being routed directly under the oil pan (requiring a wrap to insulate from the engine oil) is already not bad enough, the tight routing aft of the engine, over the frame, under the steering linkage is just as troubling. Then it routes under the resin 'bulge' panel that really cannot be removed to express the exhaust pipe. See the gap in the body panel behind the exhaust pipe to accommodate the exhaust? Removing that 'bulge' panel is inelegant. The whole exhaust system could and should be reevaluated and resolved better, possibly by redesigning the manifold and taking it horizontally out the passenger side of the engine bay. The Morgan is a conceptual inspiration.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 10854 View attachment 10855 View attachment 10856 View attachment 10857 View attachment 10858 View attachment 10859 Here are images of the routing of the exhaust in the P5 and E series. If being routed directly under the oil pan (requiring a wrap to insulate from the engine oil) is already not bad enough, the tight routing aft of the engine, over the frame, under the steering linkage is just as troubling. Then it routes under the resin 'bulge' panel that really cannot be removed to express the exhaust pipe. See the gap in the body panel behind the exhaust pipe to accommodate the exhaust? Removing that 'bulge' panel is inelegant. The whole exhaust system could and should be reevaluated and resolved better, possibly by redesigning the manifold and taking it horizontally out the passenger side of the engine bay. The Morgan is a conceptual inspiration.

You said: " If being routed directly under the oil pan (requiring a wrap to insulate from the engine oil) is already not bad enough, the tight routing aft of the engine, over the frame, under the steering linkage is just as troubling."

That is a very good point. I did not realize the exhaust squeezed between the frame and steering linkage as it does. Without wrap, it could melt the rubber boot around the steering linkage. Are they going to heat wrap that part in the production version? I have heard multiple people on this forum say heat wrap induces rust on exhaust pipes.

The exhaust pipe is so small and the bulge is so large in comparison, are they going to put other things in the bulge too, thus necessitating the bulge being that large?

Yes, without a belly pan, the underside does look un aerodynamic. Considering the current design, I would prefer the exhaust running under the vehicle, even if it did hang down lower. It would get rid of the bulge (and thus be less expensive to make), and make for a cleaner design.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rest assure "Roush" will come up with a solution.
The exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold appears to be a little big in diameter for the size and horsepower of the engine, as compared to my G1 Insight which has more power but about the same cc.
The exhaust system exiting the head from the front of the engine rather than the back will be a lot cooler because of the air directed on the manifold and first part of the exhaust system.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here are images of the routing of the exhaust in the P5 and E series.
Don't compare any of the exhaust routing of the P5 with the final vehicle. The P5 actually had two separate exhaust systems. The functional exhaust system exited out the back of the vehicle, near the swing arm for the rear wheel. The exhaust system in the bulge was nonfunctional. As such, you can't count on any of the P5 exhaust system to have any similarity to the routing in the E series, or the final vehicle, and you should ignore all pictures of the P5 when considering it.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 10854 View attachment 10855 View attachment 10856 View attachment 10857 View attachment 10858 View attachment 10859 Here are images of the routing of the exhaust in the P5 and E series. If being routed directly under the oil pan (requiring a wrap to insulate from the engine oil) is already not bad enough, the tight routing aft of the engine, over the frame, under the steering linkage is just as troubling. Then it routes under the resin 'bulge' panel that really cannot be removed to express the exhaust pipe. See the gap in the body panel behind the exhaust pipe to accommodate the exhaust? Removing that 'bulge' panel is inelegant. The whole exhaust system could and should be reevaluated and resolved better, possibly by redesigning the manifold and taking it horizontally out the passenger side of the engine bay. The Morgan is a conceptual inspiration.

Please keep in mind, this is still a "prototype" (P-5) and NOT a production vehicle.
And this forum is still NOT affiliated with Elio Motors. Have you considered taking you "vast engineering knowledge" directly to EM?
Another option is to start your own company, and address the many "failings" of the Elio, when you unveil your very own "B-1". :eyebrows:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You said: " If being routed directly under the oil pan (requiring a wrap to insulate from the engine oil) is already not bad enough, the tight routing aft of the engine, over the frame, under the steering linkage is just as troubling."

That is a very good point. I did not realize the exhaust squeezed between the frame and steering linkage as it does. Without wrap, it could melt the rubber boot around the steering linkage. Are they going to heat wrap that part in the production version? I have heard multiple people on this forum say heat wrap induces rust on exhaust pipes.

The exhaust pipe is so small and the bulge is so large in comparison, are they going to put other things in the bulge too, thus necessitating the bulge being that large?

Yes, without a belly pan, the underside does look un aerodynamic. Considering the current design, I would prefer the exhaust running under the vehicle, even if it did hang down lower. It would get rid of the bulge (and thus be less expensive to make), and make for a cleaner design.
I'd rather have the bulge than lose ground clearance. Good ground clearance helps with potholes (which are a problem for 3 wheel cars - - you can't dodge 'em), helps with driving in snow, and help with badly-done curb cuts, which abound.

I would pay extra for a belly pan.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The asymmetry of having the bulge does not bother me as long as both sides cannot be seen at the same time. So if the bulge and non-bulge areas cannot be easily seen at the same time from the front or rear of the vehicle, no big deal for me.

The exhaust routing and possibly excess heat into the boots is a big deal, but I bet they will address it on the production model.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You mean like in "flat abs"? Well, I keep seeing these ads come up on web pages (not on the Elio pages, heaven forbid) advertising programs like "Flat Abs After 40" and the like. Check it out and let us know if it's worthwhile.:rolleyes:
A built in bed pan would be nice for us seniors. :eek:

Yeah, I kid.. But maybe sometime in the not-so-distant future.
I ran 9.4 miles, walked another 2 miles, and finished up with 75 minutes on the stationary bike Tuesday.
Did 75 minutes on the road bike yesterday around dusk and ran 5 miles this morning (Thursday).
I'm a heart patient and I'll be 63 in September.

Last edited:
Top Bottom