• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio. Car With A Hernia.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 10854 View attachment 10855 View attachment 10856 View attachment 10857 View attachment 10858 View attachment 10859 Here are images of the routing of the exhaust in the P5 and E series. If being routed directly under the oil pan (requiring a wrap to insulate from the engine oil) is already not bad enough, the tight routing aft of the engine, over the frame, under the steering linkage is just as troubling. Then it routes under the resin 'bulge' panel that really cannot be removed to express the exhaust pipe. See the gap in the body panel behind the exhaust pipe to accommodate the exhaust? Removing that 'bulge' panel is inelegant. The whole exhaust system could and should be reevaluated and resolved better, possibly by redesigning the manifold and taking it horizontally out the passenger side of the engine bay. The Morgan is a conceptual inspiration.
I find myself agreeing with you that the clearance between the boot and the exhaust is minimal, and just as bad where it crosses over the chassis member. It's an invitation for accelerated wear of the rubber boot and begs vibration problems as well.

As others have said, this the P5, not a production vehicle, and the chassis changes instituted by Roush may alleviate the problem in the E cars and production. Sill, in general, too hot, too crowded, and too likely to cause problems. Not to mention the Bulge, which has so many of us upset (I don't like it, but am not having fits over it ... unlike the Elgin Dash, where it's a safety issue).

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the catalytic converter is mounted directly below the exhaust manifold. These operate at very hot temperatures. It will radiate its heat against the engine and heat the air passing around it and hitting the engine. The exhaust gasses from it will be very hot and these gasses travel only a few inches before passing beneath the oil pan and heating it.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the catalytic converter is mounted directly below the exhaust manifold. These operate at very hot temperatures. It will radiate its heat against the engine and heat the air passing around it and hitting the engine. The exhaust gasses from it will be very hot and these gasses travel only a few inches before passing beneath the oil pan and heating it.
70-1780-2.jpg

If Honda,Toyota, etc. can do it, I am sure Elio will make it work.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those of you who are concerned about "heat issues" that EM "seems" to be oblivious to, Take a few minutes to look at the cars that you are currently driving. I have no doubt you will start scratching your heads, saying..."what were they thinking?!?!
ANY vehicle on the road today is full of compromises....AND, at several times the price of the Elio!
I don't think very many of us really appreciate what a tremendous value the Elio is going to be!

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about a 'sport' header and muffler option? :cool: It is a 3-into-1 collector, then exits the engine bay through the side (no doubt there is something else in the way that will need to move), then runs exposed on the outside of the Elio. If the 'E' is a 'motorcycle' can it run a straight pipe (no muff)? Shield it if needed to protect from burns. This may need to be an aftermarket mod.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about a 'sport' header and muffler option? :cool: It is a 3-into-1 collector, then exits the engine bay through the side (no doubt there is something else in the way that will need to move), then runs exposed on the outside of the Elio. If the 'E' is a 'motorcycle' can it run a straight pipe (no muff)? Shield it if needed to protect from burns. This may need to be an aftermarket mod.

View attachment 10868 View attachment 10869
The idea behind the Elio is NOT to make it more bike-like, but more car-like. Nor is it to annoy the hell out of other drivers, or the folks in your neighborhood, with loud noises. If you want a Morgan, go buy a Morgan. Geesh!

Top Bottom