• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio... Cult Like Following? The Next "harley Type Following?"

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wishing it would be delivered by Sturgis Bike week but no such luck. Cruising through Sturgis would be great.
Anderson, welcome to the forum and the Elio family. I will be happy if I get mine before Christmas. Hoped to have it in time for the Veterans Day parade but that looks doubtful, possible, but doubtful. Hope you enjoy scrolling through the forum because there are tons of information here. Members are usually friendly and helpful and we try to keep it informative and entertaining. Looking forward to your questions, comments, and opinions.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really feel, based on the multiple sites and discussion pages, that Elio is gathering speed or is there for a Harley like following. Sort of like a cult'ish following. The Elio is very much like a motor bike. It just seems to me that the Elio will be more than "The Next Big Thing in Transportation." The Elio will be a toy for motor-heads and a status to show personality of the owner.

What is your view?
It is a low-cost hyper-efficient commuter vehicle for me. Unlike a lot of people here, cars aren't about fun for me. They are about getting a job done. 1000-1500 miles per week for work really sucks the enjoyment out of it. As an OTR truck driver with more than 5 million miles under his belt, I have no clue how my father can even stand to be in a car when he's home..

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just wondering (off subject)... When there is a squishy critter (road kill) in the road I usually straddle it in my car if it is in the center or move to a side if along the side. A motorcycle can easily go around with out going in the dirt or other lane. With the Elio, the only chance is if it is on the side. Otherwise the rear tire will hit it. I bet there will be a few stinky Elios from hitting dead skunks until we get accustom to the wheel configuration.

:eek:= Realizing you hit the skunk
:confused:= Starting to smell the skunk
:mad:= Wondering how you are going to get the smell off your Elio! Ha!

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is a low-cost hyper-efficient commuter vehicle for me. Unlike a lot of people here, cars aren't about fun for me. They are about getting a job done. 1000-1500 miles per week for work really sucks the enjoyment out of it. As an OTR truck driver with more than 5 million miles under his belt, I have no clue how my father can even stand to be in a car when he's home..
It is about the journey...

There are a lot of things that aren't very fun. So I figure out how to enjoy the ride/journey. I drive 550/miles a week to work and back. This is not fun for me. I did this on a motorcycle a few times, and it took the enjoyment of riding a bike. Especially when fighting the weather, wind and dodging deer that seem to want to run out just as I approached. By the way... What is it with the deer doing that?? I could watch them standing, eating, and looking around as I approach and then suddenly they want to cross the road in front of me!:mad: It was quite miserable to use my bike as a commuter. So I sold it.

The Elio will be a tool to go to my work. But I see it as something to enjoy, modify, and tinker with also. And I will not be out in the bad weather. Its a combination of a car and enjoyment of a motorcylce... Hey! Its like an autocycle! Wait.. I think this has already been used. Dang!

Last edited:

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just wondering (off subject)... When there is a squishy critter (road kill) in the road I usually straddle it in my car if it is in the center or move to a side if along the side. A motorcycle can easily go around with out going in the dirt or other lane. With the Elio, the only chance is if it is on the side. Otherwise the rear tire will hit it. I bet there will be a few stinky Elios from hitting dead skunks until we get accustom to the wheel configuration.

:eek:= Realizing you hit the skunk
:confused:= Starting to smell the skunk
:mad:= Wondering how you are going to get the smell off your Elio! Ha!

This is the whole pot hole question again.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the whole pot hole question again.
I'm not worried. It doesn't matter what I do, I hit the potholes! So I have come to accept this... I drive the same road so much that I have given names to the potholes along the way. ... I have notice Sue and Bart have gained some weight (became larger!). Ha!

Potholes are never in one place and in many cases they are all over. Slow down and take it like a man! Or a woman! ;) (I wanted to be politically correct)

Last edited:

CherylM

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm reluctant to call the Elio an autocycle and not a motorcycle because it might tempt the authorities to keep us out of the car pool lanes.
That would be a big loss sales-wise here in Los Angeles. :cool:

The term "Autocycle" is how it is being legislated in the states. This way you will not have to have a motorcycle endorsement or helmet. They are still stating we can use the HOV lanes because the federal government sees it as a motorcycle.

I wouldn't bank on meeting the HOV requirements everywhere or forever. The state of Northern Virginia is now on a HOT lane kick, and specifically state that autocycles and hybrids have to pay the toll. I gave up on trying to figure out the requirements on other roads in the state, since the hybrid requirements vary by plate date and road. Point is as soon as too many people have it and traffic volume increases, they will figure out how to legislate us out.

As for the actual topic of this thread, I think the Elio will have more than just a cult-like following. When at the Dodge dealership last week, I told the salesman about the Elio and he pulled up the website right then and there. He sees it as a perfect option for his teenager. Those of us who see it as an "and" car/toy will likely be cult-like, but I think there will ultimately be just as many if not more people out there getting it as a primary vehicle that won't understand why there are meetups and rallies.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really feel, based on the multiple sites and discussion pages, that Elio is gathering speed or is there for a Harley like following. Sort of like a cult'ish following. The Elio is very much like a motor bike. It just seems to me that the Elio will be more than "The Next Big Thing in Transportation." The Elio will be a toy for motor-heads and a status to show personality of the owner.

What is your view?

Sort of cult-likeo_O ?

EMI is closer to a modern Jim Jones. I think Mr. Paul Elio is a very good engineer for his area of specialty: car seating. Jerome is a classic snake oil salesman and carnival barker who somehow sweet talks otherwise seemingly discerning, truth-seeking people who *should* have the age and wisdom to not follow packs of obvious lies.

Cultish, indeed.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sort of cult-likeo_O ?

EMI is closer to a modern Jim Jones. I think Mr. Paul Elio is a very good engineer for his area of specialty: car seating. Jerome is a classic snake oil salesman and carnival barker who somehow sweet talks otherwise seemingly discerning, truth-seeking people who *should* have the age and wisdom to not follow packs of obvious lies.

Cultish, indeed.

rofl.gif
.... now that's funny .... thanks for inserting nonsensical humor ..
cryingwithlaughter.gif

Top Bottom