• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio External Storage Boxes / Fighter Jet Intake Mod

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just thinking a couple of MC bags could be mounted to the sides.
Guaranteed, someone will do that.
I'll have to say, one of the possible designs, may well be the best on tradeoffs of cost, efficiency and safety. A very light weight side-car saddle bag. Left and right actually. Use together or single. Bit tricky on the driver door side. Many people would get used to using the right-side only at times.

No added roll-over and no jack-knifing that a trailer could do. And this can be relatively inexpensive and easy to design for DIY.
It does implement a wheel/suspension as added complexity, but it's a good tradeoff to the other issues.
No other vehicle would suit this exact kind of accessory, it's unique to 2F1R trikes. In fact, AFAIK, I'm maybe the only person who has looked into that.
That does put the task on me to draw one up. I'll have do that soon. And there are two distinct types, solid bolt-on and articulated.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Guaranteed, someone will do that.
I'll have to say, one of the possible designs, may well be the best on tradeoffs of cost, efficiency and safety. A very light weight side-car saddle bag. Left and right actually. Use together or single. Bit tricky on the driver door side. Many people would get used to using the right-side only at times.

No added roll-over and no jack-knifing that a trailer could do. And this can be relatively inexpensive and easy to design for DIY.
It does implement a wheel/suspension as added complexity, but it's a good tradeoff to the other issues.
No other vehicle would suit this exact kind of accessory, it's unique to 2F1R trikes. In fact, AFAIK, I'm maybe the only person who has looked into that.
That does put the task on me to draw one up. I'll have do that soon. And there are two distinct types, solid bolt-on and articulated.

What if the saddlebags were held on by a couple hooks in the windows and a strap hooked around the bottom of the door? (Starboard side would need to hook to the frame, since there is no door). Kinda like how many bike racks hook onto hatchbacks. If done right, they would be secure enough that most people wouldn't try to remove them.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What if the saddlebags were held on by a couple hooks in the windows and a strap hooked around the bottom of the door? (Starboard side would need to hook to the frame, since there is no door). Kinda like how many bike racks hook onto hatchbacks. If done right, they would be secure enough that most people wouldn't try to remove them.
Workable, but it would tend to grind the paint down. So inflexible bands or brackets are better plus a foam isolation or just an air gap depending on the stiffness of brackets. That partly ends up equal to a thought that was already presented. Basically an attachable box or bag on the side.

You know, out of 240k sales, all the above will be tried by someone.

Fairlane58

Elio Fan
Reaction score
How about detachable saddlebags having the same shape as the fenders with the door opening fwd.

Fairlane58

Elio Fan
Reaction score
How about detachable saddlebags having the same shape as the fenders with the door opening fwd.
side saddle bags.jpg
can be done

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These deserve better styling, but here's what SideCar-SideBags look like. These do not suffer from added rollover(in-fact they reduce it), and do not represent a jack-knife situation. They still need to keep the weight down since they could increase/vary vehicle oversteer (reduce understeer), especially on gravel, wet, snow or ice.
SideCarBag1.png
SideCarBag2.png

SideCarBag.png

Top Bottom