• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio From Parts Already Available

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Treasury said it spent $421.8 billion on bailouts and so far has recovered $432.7 billion
Now thats a fact....jack ;)
Harlan. What is your new avatar? Looks like a thermal image, but of what? As for GM, my father had much of his retirement funds invested with them before they went under. The govt. bailed them out, but what about the investors? I can tell you. The small time (middle class) investors lost everything. When the govt. bailed them (GM) out, they should have given the people that invested in them, before they screwed every thing up first chance to buy back in. They didn't do that. My father tried. There will NEVER be another GM, or any other American car, besides the Elio, in my driveway, or garage :mad: (mad at GM, not directed towards you).

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Harlan. What is your new avatar? Looks like a thermal image, but of what? As for GM, my father had much of his retirement funds invested with them before they went under. The govt. bailed them out, but what about the investors? I can tell you. The small time (middle class) investors lost everything. When the govt. bailed them (GM) out, they should have given the people that invested in them, before they screwed every thing up first chance to buy back in. They didn't do that. My father tried. There will NEVER be another GM, or any other American car, besides the Elio, in my driveway, or garage :mad: (mad at GM, not directed towards you).
Ford didn't take a government handout... why the prejudice against them?

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Its a thermal image of a roots style blower.
Ever think what would happen with no bail out?
Overall the banks paid back...the auto industry kinda did....and we hate the banks...?
Over all the tax payer did not get the shaft like many people think or rant about ..
Investments....there is risk. Diversify.
Blaming the gov??? Many lost alot around that time...me too life goes on.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ford didn't take a government handout... why the prejudice against them?
I have no problems with the govt. handouts. Just the way GM treated thier previous investors once they got the check.As for your Ford question, had a '96 thunderbird that started burning oil at 90K miles. And yes, the maintenance (oil changes and so on) was done as scheduled. At 60K the tranny developed a shudder in OD. True, a filter and fluid change fixed it, but that car worried me to death. I've got a 2001 Nissan truck with 98K in the driveway that doesn't burn a drop of oil. and has never had any drivetrain problems. But, you're correct. if I ever bought American again, (besides the Elio, it would most likley be a Ford.:)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have no problems with the govt. handouts. Just the way GM treated thier previous investors once they got the check.As for your Ford question, had a '96 thunderbird that started burning oil at 90K miles. And yes, the maintenance (oil changes and so on) was done as scheduled. At 60K the tranny developed a shudder in OD. True, a filter and fluid change fixed it, but that car worried me to death. I've got a 2001 Nissan truck with 98K in the driveway that doesn't burn a drop of oil. and has never had any drivetrain problems. But, you're correct. if I ever bought American again, (besides the Elio, it would most likley be a Ford.:)
Fair enough. I had a really bad experience with Dodge so I avoid them. I did some engineering for GM at the new Elio plant but was never swayed into actually making the switch. Probably due to my first car being a '65 Mustang. I wonder how many people switch around the three - GM, Ford, Chrysler... hypothetically, of course.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Overall the banks paid back...the auto industry kinda did....and we hate the banks...?
Over all the tax payer did not get the shaft like many people think or rant about ..
Never blamed the govt. Harlan, just GM's disregard for previous investors. Don't you think that GM, with a chance to get back on thier feet should have given the people that showed support with capital, and lost on them the first time, should get first chance at investing in them again? :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No bailout like some would have let happen.......would have been devastating! I think about it alot. The government bailout of GM alone spared 1.2 million jobs in 2009 and preserved $39.4 Billion in personal and social insurance tax collections in 2009 and 2010. Even though the gov't lost about $20 Billion on GM consider the total net returns to the public investment.
Overall the government bailout made money. Without it we may not have seen the new startup Elio Motors.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back to the original question. Not about government bail outs. This is about off the shelf parts, and not how big the shelf is, the only thing unique about the Elio is the frame and body, so that has to be built at the factory, pretty simple. Look at the dash board of whatever you are driving now. See the instrument cluster? It consists of the speedometer, the gas gauge, oil pressure gauge or idiot light, and maybe a tachometer. Any of these parts fit right in an Elio? Right off the shelf? of course they do. How about the radio, heater and air conditioner, they fit? Sure. Paul has told us that the engine is being designed just for the Elio. so that's unique, but once it's produced, it's parts will be available 'off the shelf'. As people much more informed in the automotive field have already pointed out, Elio is not inventing anything new, they're just packaging it in a different shape, so the only thing needed to make an Elio out of existing parts available 'off the shelf' is the frame and body. That's the only thing being built in Shreveport. the rest is being assembled out of existing parts furnished by the 34 suppliers Paul somehow got to come onboard for this ground breaking new vehicle!

Top Bottom