• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

azurehenfruit

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque pro can look like just about anything and the basic version which is very thorough is free. The obdII adapter, ELM327 costs $12 on Amazon.com. You can easily configure each of several screens with as many or as few gauges as you like. Here is a sample screen shot (you can change sizes of the gauges too.

View attachment 1026

How about a dash for those of us who are culturally deprived, and lack the electronic gadgets?

I can be happy with a simple and traditional dash containing speedometer, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge, ammeter, and maybe tachometer.

Don’t all of the “extras” violate the basic Elio concept, as well as threaten the low purchase price?

Last edited:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you remember in "Jurassic Park", there was a line that offered the question, "Just because we have the technology, should we USE it?" I see more applications for that with every passing year. Case in point: phone apps substituting for multiple automotive functions. You carry your phone in your car in order to stay in contact with family, friends, customers, and whatever . . . and it can become a distraction, what with calls, texts, even e-mails while driving. Then you add navigation capabilities - you run the GPS app to be sure you don't pass up that freeway exit, and that little disembodied voice keeps reminding you of your course seemingly every 100 yards.

If you're looking for entertainment, you select your Pandora account, maybe a radio talk show on I Heart Radio, or select something from one of your mp3 playlists. Then, because you can't read the instrument panel the manufacturer thoughtfully installed for you, you bring up your digital dash app so you have some idea of how fast you are going. What's that, communication, navigation, entertainment AND instrumentation, all being relegated to ONE little 3" X 5" screen . . . have you had a chance yet to look out the windshield? Are you going to be so engrossed poking around on your phone or tablet, switching back and forth between apps that you can't drive the car? Isn't that the most important task here?

That's why I'll have a phone for my music and communication only - sure HERE+ is going to be the backup for the Garmin when I'm afoot, but then I won't need the Pandora up. My instrument panel will stay with the car, even though I have to option something other than that truly miserable SB display. While the OBDII app is great for troubleshooting, as a full-time panel, it leaves a lot to be desired, particularly in displaying the instruments I need to drive in that small scrap of screen real estate. I don't want to view my speedometer as a live tile.

Yes, we DO have the technology to put all of these functions into multiple phone or tablet apps, but if they're going to be useful, we're going to need a bigger tablet. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...What's that, communication, navigation, entertainment AND instrumentation, all being relegated to ONE little 3" X 5" screen . . . have you had a chance yet to look out the windshield?... :rolleyes:
I don't think ANYONE has suggested using a small 'Smart Phone' screen as a substitute for the instrument display. The talk has been about using a Tablet or iPad with 7'-12' screens...... which would be as large as many current instrument displays.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That would be a fine instrument display, but I balk at spending an additional $500+ for something that should be standard equipment on the vehicle. Considering you will probably want your smartphone along, in addition to some kind of navigation system, purchasing a dedicated iPad or Note is a little extreme just to gain some basic knowledge about how fast you are going, how much gas you have, and whether your engine is about to pull the pin on itself.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I put the Torque App picture here because it is an option for people who don't like the regular dash. On a day to day basis, it really doesn't matter about the dash... you probably won't care if you are a couple MPH off as long as you stick with traffic. The RPMs? MOST people shift by feel and sound. It would be silly to have to stare at your RPM gauge for every shift. The fuel gauge? it won't move much! LOL But, on a longer trip or if you suspect problems, you could easily "put in" the super dash that you have selected on Torque and away you go. In fact, you could hand your Kindle/tablet/phone to your co-pilot! Let them deal with all the little gauges. Alone, driving along, other than when something is starting to go bad (idiot lights DO actually work), how much time does anyone actually spend staring at the dash? All that being said, I hope Elio has a nice option or two for the dash.

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LIl4
I understand your concerns.
In my case I would use my non wifi chipped Ipad2, I already own it and would not be able to run GPS on it. The dash option would not mandate you have to use a pad, it would just let me. I dont see gadgets as evil or taking over the world we are in control, not them. If I can run an OBD2 to diagnose problems, or display a dash of my liking. I might even want to bluethooth my music to the speakers. I'll count on my own good judgement to operate my autocycle and my IOS devices in a safe and appropriate manner.

I get your point about JP, I built a giant 4x12" transmission line subwoofer for my home theater (30 inch square footprint X 6 feet tall), my son said just because you can reproduce that much bass.....it my not be good.
I said, yeah it is!

Good day

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty, great looking app but It is still an app. I want my Elio to have the standard instrument panel that doesn't require a second party app. It should be functional when I leave the factory without having to buy anything else.

And dropping your phone (or having it stolen, or simply forgetting at the restaurant when you went out to lunch with friends, or....) shouldn't make your car undriveable.

Also, while all that stuff looks good on my 23" computer display, something tells me that those gauges will be a bit tough to read on that itty bitty screen while you're cruising down the highway. Using such for a diagnostic tool while you're in a garage? That's one thing. While driving in traffic? That's quite another.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And dropping your phone (or having it stolen, or simply forgetting at the restaurant when you went out to lunch with friends, or....) shouldn't make your car undriveable.

Also, while all that stuff looks good on my 23" computer display, something tells me that those gauges will be a bit tough to read on that itty bitty screen while you're cruising down the highway. Using such for a diagnostic tool while you're in a garage? That's one thing. While driving in traffic? That's quite another.
That is true. I've used it driving as my truck doesn't show exhaust and engine oil temp. I surely wouldn't use it with more than mpg and tach on a phone but with my 10" Fire HDX, it would be easy to see. But, I'd never have that many gauges!

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

It was touched on........theft of your I pad or Tablet could be a very real possibility. Here you have an after market add on that is something that MOST people wouldn't think about stealing because it would be out of site. But Now you are going to use it as a Dash Board???? Yep it will be setting in a car that will already is going to attract attention and someone see's the I pad and decides to break your window and steal it......are you going to stow it every time you get out of your Elio. No Probably not. Are you going to be able to watch your car every moment....Nope. does any one really much attention to a car alarm....NOPE. 5 seconds to bust your window and steal your tablet. Then you have a window to repair to. The Elgin dash should be an option but the one shown in the P4 is what should come as standard. It is attached and has no other use , unlike an I pad or tablet. Double D.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was touched on........theft of your I pad or Tablet could be a very real possibility. Here you have an after market add on that is something that MOST people wouldn't think about stealing because it would be out of site. But Now you are going to use it as a Dash Board???? Yep it will be setting in a car that will already is going to attract attention and someone see's the I pad and decides to break your window and steal it......are you going to stow it every time you get out of your Elio. No Probably not. Are you going to be able to watch your car every moment....Nope. does any one really much attention to a car alarm....NOPE. 5 seconds to bust your window and steal your tablet. Then you have a window to repair to. The Elgin dash should be an option but the one shown in the P4 is what should come as standard. It is attached and has no other use , unlike an I pad or tablet. Double D.
I just use it occasionally like on long trips and in those cases, I have enough family around at every stop to prevent theft. In the Elio, I wouldn't do that but it is something I would consider IF I was doing some diagnostics. Other than those times, I would probably only glance at the dash to see if I had fuel and to make sure there weren't any warning lights on. Other than that, I don't usually stare at it much. It really doesn't matter what it looks like to me for driving. I just hope it looks cool for when I'm showing off my Elio! :D

Top Bottom