• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Lighting (head, Tail, Brake, Signal, Fog, Auxiliary, Blinking,etc...)

Would you choose optional lighting on your Elio? (choose all that apply)

• Yes, I want a "third" or higher brake light.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, I want marker lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes, I want signal lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Yes, I want headlights, fog lights or similar on the front wheels.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, I do not want any additional lighting.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will have you know I am not a nerd nor am I a dork. I also don't get that impression of many of the people in this forum. I may not agree with some of them but I enjoy the individuality represented here. We are going to take the world by storm with our Elios! "Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, just you wait". LOL :) Z
I'm a nerd and proud of it!
I ddon't know if a few LED's really WOULD make it more attractive to most people, but if it could be done for a few penniess per unit and it did add to mass appeal it would be worth the investment.
If it was a mass appeal, wouldn't it be more than one company doing it? Frankly, if there was any matter of appearance that would keep me from buying an Elio, it would be the addition of that LED string. That is how much I hate those stupid, ugly things!

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it was a mass appeal, wouldn't it be more than one company doing it? Frankly, if there was any matter of appearance that would keep me from buying an Elio, it would be the addition of that LED string. That is how much I hate those stupid, ugly things!
I'm with you on that actually. But maybe they look cheap to me because I know they ARE cheap. But then I see high-end Audi's and Lincolns and such sporting them like the newest summer fashions so i'm thinkin maybe most people think they are some high-class accessory item. I am not an expert in automotive styling. I just know that if most people think it's cool, might as well get on the band-wagon 'cause that's what sells.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
case in point Audi R8 V-10 Spyder. Not a cheap ride I'm guessing..
audi-r8-headlight.jpg

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you on that actually. But maybe they look cheap to me because I know they ARE cheap. But then I see high-end Audi's and Lincolns and such sporting them like the newest summer fashions so i'm thinkin maybe most people think they are some high-class accessory item. I am not an expert in automotive styling. I just know that if most people think it's cool, might as well get on the band-wagon 'cause that's what sells.
Jumping on the band wagon is the last thing I do. I like to stand out in a crowd and jumping on band wagons usually precludes that. LOL :-) Z

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jumping on the band wagon is the last thing I do. I like to stand out in a crowd and jumping on band wagons usually precludes that. LOL :) Z
I think we're getting rather far afield of the original point. Let's say you wanted to build your very own version of an Elio, just the way you want it. Sure it can be done, no problem. Get a small team together, design, fabricate, design an engine, test and troubleshoot.... You can probably have it in your driveway in a year or two for around...oh, half a million dollars. And you wouldn't have to give a rat's @ss what is trendy or popular or would make people want one, 'cause you're NOT trying to sell it.
EM on the other hand IS trying to sell cars. Not a few really expensive cars, but a LOT of inexpensive cars. That means they MUST appeal to as many people as practical, or they go out of business. I'm not talking about just "you" people, or "we" people, but LOTS and LOTS of people.
Sure for rational people with functional basic math skills it's an easy sell. But look at lottery sales in the US and see if you can spot the problem there. MASS-production needs MASS-appeal in order to have a market, or they go out of business. If that means band wagons, hay wagons, or little red wagons, you better be on board if you want to either be elected or sell cars.
Elio IS somewhat of an unusual case in that there is a line to be walked between giving people what they WANT and letting them figure out you have what they NEED. But whether we're talking headlights, paint schemes, or putting a big spoiler on the back, you can bet that if MOST Americans wanted a car with tail fins on it the Elio would have four of them.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mounting fog lights within the grill opening would interfere least with aerodynamics of the body shell. If they are fairly small (not quite the 7" diameter Hellas :rolleyes:) they could be mounted within the opening on a dedicated light bar. Now I understand the P3/4 nose is to be modified to decrease the size of the grill opening a bit to improve overall aerodynamics. That's a good idea, a win-win all around. We'll have to see what that does to the available space for fog lights.

My '95 Civic had no grill - the air intake was all below the bumper. So many people didn't like the design that Honda added a small grill opening above the bumper the following year - for cosmetic purposes. But the point was made: With a small engine, you aren't producing the prodigious amounts of waste heat a V8 does, thus the radiator need not be large. The Civic's radiator was about a square foot - mounted alongside the AC condenser that was about the same size. Elio's engineers have wisely recognized that production of heat is a waste of energy, and have designed the engine to a high level of thermal efficiency. To you and me it means cooling the engine shouldn't be a problem - even in bumper-to-bumper traffic. :cool:

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

(1) I was looking at this picture, and it does not look like this prototype has LED brake lights, rather the brake lights have single bright points of light in the center of a reflector indicating incadescents. Does anyone know if the production version will use LED brake lights?

Why is this important? Because LED brake lights light up a fraction of a second faster than incandescents. (I forgot the exact amount of time.) Why does that matter? Because, at highway speeds, that amount of time is the difference between a SUV taping the rear of your Elio vs. plowing into it! (I forgot the exact distance.)

(2) Since the brake lights are so close together on the rear of the Elio, are there any plans for a high mounted 3rd brake light as is required on automobiles in the US?

Last edited:
Top Bottom