• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Lighting (head, Tail, Brake, Signal, Fog, Auxiliary, Blinking,etc...)

Would you choose optional lighting on your Elio? (choose all that apply)

• Yes, I want a "third" or higher brake light.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, I want marker lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes, I want signal lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Yes, I want headlights, fog lights or similar on the front wheels.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, I do not want any additional lighting.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

BeerBrewer

Elio Fan
Reaction score
If it was classified as a 'car', I'm pretty sure the Government wouldn't allow headlights that 'steer'. Since it's classified as a Motorcycle.....

Actually, a number of cars now come equipped with headlights that move in the direction the driver steers. So government (our dear friend) doesn't seem to object, I'm guessing.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My car (and many other sports cars here in UK) has separate fenders like the Elio. The headlights are on the main body of the car. It's not a problem, either for the driver or for other drivers. However, rules have been introduced for newer cars which require running lights to be illuminated day and night. It would make sense for these to be on the outer extremes of the front profile of the car.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Federal requirements from section 571 (autos, not cycles, no auto cycle category)

"On the front, each headlamp providing
the upper beam, at the same height,
1 on each side of the vertical center-
line, each headlamp providing the
lower beam, at the same height, 1 on
each side of the vertical centerline, as
far apart as practicable. See also S7"

For kicks, you should read this .(225 pages !), just setting out lighting requirements, just to see how difficult it is to just put lights on a car.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-108.pdf

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do see a nice aftermarket possibilities here...mmmm., time to load up the autocad....
Many things already 'out there', for you to customize your Elio!
0-FenderLights.jpg

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rather than replacing the headlights you could add them as driving lights. LED can be packaged in a very thin, flexible 'stick-on' form factor as a panel or ribbon with minimal wiring. LOTS of possibilities for the aftermarket and us garage tinkerers. There would be ramifications with local laws however. In Michigan for example it is pretty much illegal to add ANY lights that didn't come from yhe factory.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Check out the "Bolt Beam 12mm LED Light" and the "PLM Series Wired 1.5 Watt LED".
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-wired-bolts/
At 50 and 70 lumens, they're bright enough to be seen day or night, but not as bright and distracting as any kind of shaking "auxillary headlight".
They're very inexpensive and could be easily mounted on the Elio.

I really don't think it's a good idea to have any kind of shaking "auxillary headlight" on a vehicle.
If I wanted running/turn lights, I think I'd go with this for the front of the Elio's fender
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-LED-Ambe...es&hash=item4ad65b7ea3&vxp=mtr#ht_2295wt_1362
And this for the back of the Elio's fender.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-LED-Rec...es&hash=item4ac7394eee&vxp=mtr#ht_1836wt_1124
They have three wires, two levels of brightness, and can be used as running and turn indicators.
I think they'd look pretty good, make you more visible, help with speed/distance perception, give a clearer indication of which way you're turning, and give a clear indication of where your fenders are. They're extremely inexpensive, extremely light and simple to mount.
They make great reflectors when your lights aren't on.
They come with clear lenses or colored lenses and they make them in 2" round.
Running the wires to the fenders through braided stainless hose would not add significant weight and would look awesome.
The lights would be constantly bouncing and shaking with the fender though, and on the Elio, that might take away some of the aesthetic charm.

Or you could just use some mini marker lights on the fenders: Amber in front and red in back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom