• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors A Billion Dollar Company

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's kind of insane (very insane actually) to challenge the meaning of 50k reservations. No mater what happens with reservationists, it's a confidently representative number in the marketing industry, meaning plenty of people will step in should some portion of that fail to materialize. That's the nature of this type of segment of the full customer population. The nature of all in is that EM makes money if a customer exists.

I'm just confident that cynical talk will get worse as Elio Motors gets closer to 'making it'. After Elio does 'make it', the trolls will not go away, just move into areas they feel they can succeed at.

BTW, a customer base in this context would be people who buy for the 'base attributes' or primary target market of the product. Secondary attributes or alternative customers would be a market segment of the product marketed. In this sense, the base is also a segment of the total. You could also use market segment to indicate a part of a total population, or part of those who who buy any category of product, so the term segment and base are generalized terms, where one should mention what population you are using them in context with. To be explicit in statistics and numbers, you would always be sure to explicitly identify the population in scope and any useful subgroups.

Generally in marketing a product the customer is a targeted subgroup of the general public purchasing behavior. i.e any one person may buy more than one item. The base would then be the people motivated by primary product attributes or reasons, and a segment would be secondary reasons not related to the base motivators. So you have to keep in mind a person might buy a product for multiple reasons, but might also buy separate ones for each reason. (this is why the analysis is about purchase events over time and not as much about a head count )

So I can guarantee there will be someone that buys more than one Elio for more than one reason. Like me, I want three. Myself to commute, and one for a adult child who needs to commute, and one for a new teen driver. When the value-to-purpose is high compared to the price, these things happen more easily.

Here's a thought, in the future, how often do his and hers Mustangs get purchased vs his and hers Elios, given that two new Elios cost less than one used Mustang?

A Troll was a troll before there was an Elio. Our success is proportionate to the number of trolls we can attract.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I came across a couple of comments out on the web, purportedly by "investors" that suggested Elio Motors was offered a spot on NASDAQ for listing, but turned that down. I could not find any reason why, or whether it was considered good or bad.

Has anyone else heard or seen comments like that, that EM turned down listing on NASDAQ? Just curious.
Actually, yes. I believe there was a recent statement by Paul stating that with the success of the stock offering, they were qualified to list on NASDAQ, but that they chose to stay with OTC right now, to avoid the added regulatory burden. I will have to see if I can dig up a link. Don't quote me unless I can find that link, though.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here we go:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amyfeld...ation-days-after-listing-shares/#6dc1547841cf

My emphasis:

The company listed its shares at $12 on the over-the-counter OTCQX market on February 19, and by the end of the month they’d quadrupled to $50, bucking the trend in the sluggish IPO market. What happens to the share price longer term, of course, remains to be seen. Elio says he chose to list on OTCQX over Nasdaq after meeting the qualifications for both, due to the lower costs and less burdensome regulation there.​

Nothing about being "offered a spot on NASDAQ". Forbes claims PE said they qualified to list on NASDAQ, but chose to go with OTC instead.

James Reveal

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not feel comfortable with the idea that EM became a billion dollar company in two days. The vast majority of the shares are not traded. They are held privately and probably are prohibited from being traded for a few years. The price of the few shares that are being traded are driven by speculation. This is the tail waging the dog.

I do not believe EM is incorporated. Is it "Elio Motors Inc.". I don't think so. I suspect incorporation requires a lot more public disclosure.
Pistonboy, Elio is not a 1.5 billion company this is a paper exercise and it how the founders of start up companies are identified as phenomenally wealthy. The startup issues 25 mil shares and the founders hold all the stock. When they have a successful product, they do and Initial Public Offering (IPO) of the stock and sell say a million shares at $10. the value of the shares held by the founders now $10X24,000,000 or $240 Mil. Are they worth $240 Mil? On paper they are. When Elio is phenomenally successful the stock which we Elio Addicts spent our hard earned money on will sell for much than its current over the counter price of $21.00 and we will all make a bunch of money.

James Reveal

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pistonboy, Elio is not a 1.5 billion company this is a paper exercise and it how the founders of start up companies are identified as phenomenally wealthy. The startup issues 25 mil shares and the founders hold all the stock. When they have a successful product, they do and Initial Public Offering (IPO) of the stock and sell say a million shares at $10. the value of the shares held by the founders now $10X24,000,000 or $240 Mil. Are they worth $240 Mil? On paper they are. When Elio is phenomenally successful the stock which we Elio Addicts spent our hard earned money on will sell for much than its current over the counter price of $21.00 and we will all make a bunch of money.
Yesterday was a big day for ELIO on the over the counter market ELIO sold 4.93 Million shares of stock at approximately $25 per share. So yesterday ELIO raised $123Million on the $280 million need to fully fund production one more day like that and production is assured. If you bought stock in the Start Engine presale at $12, your stock has more than doubled on the over the counter market.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday was a big day for ELIO on the over the counter market ELIO sold 4.93 Million shares of stock at approximately $25 per share. So yesterday ELIO raised $123Million on the $280 million need to fully fund production one more day like that and production is assured. If you bought stock in the Start Engine presale at $12, your stock has more than doubled on the over the counter market.
One of us is off three decimal places. I'm reading that as 4,93? shares sold. Not 4,93?,000 shares sold. And that $123,000 dollars went to prior shareholders and not Elio Motors. I believe they have to announce any new share offerings by the Company, even though they do have authorization to sell more.

I don't know if they report in actual shares or 100 share bundles like they do at traditional markets, but I suspect the former rather than the latter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom