• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors Engine Unveiling 2/6/2015 -3/6/2015

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ookay. How do those of you who held the view that the unveiling date delay was due to a scheduling conflict feel now that the unveiling they skipped was a brief video of the motor on a test stand, something they could easily have done February 5th had they chosen to do so? Other than the video of the motor running there is zero new information in the press release which, as far as unvelings go, leaves a considerable amount to be desired. (I asked on another thread if there is 'more' and the answer I got there was 'nope, that's it', so if I missed something forgive me and for heaven's sake share a link).

Maybe the scheduling conflict was a videographer who was held up at a wedding? Wasn't the motor supposed to be on the dyno November 5th?

Yes, yes, I too am delighted to see the motor running, but I'm even less inclined now to take anything Paul or anyone else in Elio Motors on- or off-the-record officialdom says at face value if this is what they just couldn't make happen a month ago. All evidence points to a delay in the engine developmental program. I'll leave it to those of you with automative engineering expertise (or working for the NSA, or - dear god - both) to parse out what the video shows in detail. Frankly I have more faith in the "data" provided on these boards than what I get from official channels.

Sad that this is taking so long but glad it is at least moving in the positive direction.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
my theory and its only a theory is that just as EM stated, there was some type of scheduling conflict .... as time passed and for whatever reason, they were unable to reschedule, hostile speculation (that EM had to be aware of) begin to build .... finally it reached a point where they figured they needed to do something and the video was released .... as to if they will now reschedule, who knows .... if doing so will help their progress, I suspect they will .... if circumstances are such that it won't, I have no way of knowing but doubt they will

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
my theory and its only a theory is that just as EM stated, there was some type of scheduling conflict .... as time passed and for whatever reason, they were unable to reschedule, hostile speculation (that EM had to be aware) of begin to build .... finally it reached a point where they figured they needed to do something and the video was released .... as to if they will now reschedule, who knows .... if doing so will help their progress, I suspect they will .... if circumstances are such that it won't, I have no way of knowing but doubt they will

This is essentially my take on it as well. It would appear that circumstances just conspired against the grand unveiling plan so with time slipping by they just went ahead and released the video. My guess is that right now EM has decided to move on and focus on the upcoming New York Auto Show which is no doubt a very big deal for them both in terms of industry exposure and also for fundraising as New York city is the financial capital of the country.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wasn't the motor supposed to be on the dyno November 5th?.

those were the reports .... what many of us seem to have forgotten is even prior to the start of the dyno testing, they were saying that due to the need to be careful with the single available prototype and due to the extensive testing, they were expecting the testing process to last about 6 months .... that would seem to still be the case

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't the motor supposed to be on the dyno November 5th?.

those were the reports .... what many of us seem to have forgotten is even prior to the start of the dyno testing, they were saying that due to the need to be careful with the single available prototype and due to the extensive testing, they were expecting the testing process to last about 6 months .... that would seem to still be the case

We also need to remember that we have been told the engine has been on the dyno in earlier stages of testing.There are other tests which are conducted using a dyno and the engine being spun externally. Simply put while this video may show the fist time the engine is running self propelled on a dyno it is not actually the first time the engine has been connected to a dyno.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We also need to remember that we have been told the engine has been on the dyno in earlier stages of testing.There are other tests which are conducted using a dyno and the engine being spun externally. Simply put while this video may show the fist time the engine is running self propelled on a dyno it is not actually the first time the engine has been connected to a dyno.
Wel l the engine has to run for the dyno to test and measure. I kind a wanted a little more fanfare and show.

Top Bottom