• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors Engine Unveiling 2/6/2015 -3/6/2015

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes sir. By the way, it's a 2000 Cadillac, has 180,000 miles on it. :D
Went through the Caddy stage years back. Great riding vehicles, but both my wife and myself found that after the fifth year, they will nickel and dime you to death. One week it was power window motor, next the radio, then something else really stupid every couple months until we finally traded them in for a couple Hyundai's. Best move we ever made. 10 yr , 100,000 mi warranty on engine and drive train. Made in USA. FYI, Thanks for your efforts on getting the auto cycle laws passed.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ookay. How do those of you who held the view that the unveiling date delay was due to a scheduling conflict feel now that the unveiling they skipped was a brief video of the motor on a test stand, something they could easily have done February 5th had they chosen to do so? Other than the video of the motor running there is zero new information in the press release which, as far as unvelings go, leaves a considerable amount to be desired. (I asked on another thread if there is 'more' and the answer I got there was 'nope, that's it', so if I missed something forgive me and for heaven's sake share a link).

Maybe the scheduling conflict was a videographer who was held up at a wedding? Wasn't the motor supposed to be on the dyno November 5th?

Yes, yes, I too am delighted to see the motor running, but I'm even less inclined now to take anything Paul or anyone else in Elio Motors on- or off-the-record officialdom says at face value if this is what they just couldn't make happen a month ago. All evidence points to a delay in the engine developmental program. I'll leave it to those of you with automative engineering expertise (or working for the NSA, or - dear god - both) to parse out what the video shows in detail. Frankly I have more faith in the "data" provided on these boards than what I get from official channels.

Sad that this is taking so long but glad it is at least moving in the positive direction.

Inquiring minds want to know?
or.......
What difference at this point does it make?

In August 1919, ............. was registered, and a chassis with dummy engine was exhibited at the London Motor Show in October of that year.
An innovative 4 valves per cylinder engine designed by ex–Royal Flying Corps officer Clive Gallop was built and running by December, and orders were taken for deliveries starting in June 1920; however, development took longer than estimated, and the first cars were not ready until September 1921.

That, incidentally was Bentley.
If Bentley, as a startup, can slip a date by a year I guess I can let 4 weeks slide.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ookay. How do those of you who held the view that the unveiling date delay was due to a scheduling conflict feel now that the unveiling they skipped was a brief video of the motor on a test stand, something they could easily have done February 5th had they chosen to do so? Other than the video of the motor running there is zero new information in the press release which, as far as unvelings go, leaves a considerable amount to be desired. (I asked on another thread if there is 'more' and the answer I got there was 'nope, that's it', so if I missed something forgive me and for heaven's sake share a link).

Maybe the scheduling conflict was a videographer who was held up at a wedding? Wasn't the motor supposed to be on the dyno November 5th?

Yes, yes, I too am delighted to see the motor running, but I'm even less inclined now to take anything Paul or anyone else in Elio Motors on- or off-the-record officialdom says at face value if this is what they just couldn't make happen a month ago. All evidence points to a delay in the engine developmental program. I'll leave it to those of you with automative engineering expertise (or working for the NSA, or - dear god - both) to parse out what the video shows in detail. Frankly I have more faith in the "data" provided on these boards than what I get from official channels.

Sad that this is taking so long but glad it is at least moving in the positive direction.
Yes, trust no one, -but did you know, More people speak English in China than in the USA???

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, trust no one, -but did you know, More people speak English in China than in the USA???
Wikipedia says only 10mil in China speak it, but I suppose it depends on the threshold of competence. It also says 120mil in India, so I can concede if you go by how many get classes up to year2 in English in school, both have more.
The English (and Canadians) have been known to say England (or Can.) has more because nobody in the US speaks any actual English. :-)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know?
or.......
What difference at this point does it make?

In August 1919, ............. was registered, and a chassis with dummy engine was exhibited at the London Motor Show in October of that year.
An innovative 4 valves per cylinder engine designed by ex–Royal Flying Corps officer Clive Gallop was built and running by December, and orders were taken for deliveries starting in June 1920; however, development took longer than estimated, and the first cars were not ready until September 1921.

That, incidentally was Bentley.
If Bentley, as a startup, can slip a date by a year I guess I can let 4 weeks slide.
Interesting. EM may have a registered EP5 waiting for what was the dummy IAV engine up until last Friday's official event run which was a sweet music to my ears sound indeed. The engine could possibly be dropped into that prototype within the next few weeks.

Note: Bentley may have had the same funding issues as Tesla Motors. Tesla's Model X is also delayed because of design and engineering changes deemed necessary by Elon Musk, saying that "It will be manufactured when it's good and ready". Paul Elio should steal that quote.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was so bright growing up my father always called me sun.

My Daddy called me "Sawmill" 'cause I was such a cut-up! :D
wiley.jpg

Top Bottom