• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors Engine Unveiling 2/6/2015 -3/6/2015

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After spending a little time reflecting, I have come to to some soft conclusions:
  1. It's Paul's absence, not an investor.
    • Given the PR cluster%^#$ of the last delay, they know what this one will do for public opinion. I can't imagine any other person's absence warranting a delay when compared to the alternative.
  2. Given #1, I have 2 options to consider:
    1. They're lying because the engine has a problem. We can hem and haw about "back channel sources" etc. but from an empirical standpoint, we can't state for sure everything is O.K. until we see it or have some sort of official announcement.
    2. Or they're not.
      • IF they're not lying, and they're not currently running damage control trying to placate us with partial information tidbits - the only reasonable conclusion I can come to is that they anticipate something happening which would offset this setback PR-wise.
If I were Elio's crew, the only way I would be willing to send out that "condolences on the delay" email without also saying "the dyno tests went well and we look forward to sharing the results - only delayed" (following on what Hector has said) is if they know there's an ace up their sleeve that will overshadow the delay.
They keep comparing themselves to Ford and Tucker, I imagine some sort of scene where Paul reveals his creation and it's a turning point for the company that really starts the momentum. They want investors, and they need to make a splash to get their attention. Leaking the information slowly would hinder that.
Hopefully this logic doesn't come off as disjointed, in summary either:
  • they feel they're golden and can get away with this for some reason yet to be seen
  • or they're making seriously ill-advised PR decisions
  • or they're screwed.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The success of the engine is the key to the entire project.

Any further setbacks and uncertainty over production happening will make potential investors think at least twice before making any sort of financial commitment. I'm talking big project financiers and small investor, potential customers, such as many folk here.

Let's hope it will be good news when it comes, and very soon at that.

If it's not good news, I'll personally be very disappointed (because I really want to see the Elio succeed) but at least I won't be out of pocket.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
  • they feel they're golden and can get away with this for some reason yet to be seen
  • or they're screwed.

In my opinion there is a fourth option which is that the message is telling the simple truth with no more reading into it being necessary. A stakeholder or stakeholders can't make it for whatever reason and they are important enough to the project that moving this date is necessary regardless of the negative PR. To my thinking this would be a very small possible group of people including Paul Elio, Federal ATVM representatives, or investors with deep enough pockets to complete EM's funding needs.

Tomg3rd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hope the engine is successful but do we have any information on the transmission? Will this have to be developed also or just using one "off the shelf"?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope the engine is successful but do we have any information on the transmission? Will this have to be developed also or just using one "off the shelf"?

Off the shelf transmission provided by Aisin. We even have the model #'s which are the Aisin BC5 manual transmission and the Aisin MC5 AMT automatic. They are both essentially the same transmission with the automatic adding the necessary components to automate clutch and gear shift operations.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After spending a little time reflecting, I have come to to some soft conclusions:
  1. It's Paul's absence, not an investor.
    • Given the PR cluster%^#$ of the last delay, they know what this one will do for public opinion. I can't imagine any other person's absence warranting a delay when compared to the alternative.
  2. Given #1, I have 2 options to consider:
    1. They're lying because the engine has a problem. We can hem and haw about "back channel sources" etc. but from an empirical standpoint, we can't state for sure everything is O.K. until we see it or have some sort of official announcement.
    2. Or they're not.
      • IF they're not lying, and they're not currently running damage control trying to placate us with partial information tidbits - the only reasonable conclusion I can come to is that they anticipate something happening which would offset this setback PR-wise.
If I were Elio's crew, the only way I would be willing to send out that "condolences on the delay" email without also saying "the dyno tests went well and we look forward to sharing the results - only delayed" (following on what Hector has said) is if they know there's an ace up their sleeve that will overshadow the delay.
They keep comparing themselves to Ford and Tucker, I imagine some sort of scene where Paul reveals his creation and it's a turning point for the company that really starts the momentum. They want investors, and they need to make a splash to get their attention. Leaking the information slowly would hinder that.
Hopefully this logic doesn't come off as disjointed, in summary either:
  • or they're screwed.

It could be that Paul had to go finalize the ATMV Loan and Elio wanted to be able to announce the Engine performs better than anticipated, the design is finalized, test mules are being built now, the loan came through and we will begin hiring in May to start production this year!

Well, it COULD happen... not likely, but it COULD happen.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It could be that Paul had to go finalize the ATMV Loan and Elio wanted to be able to announce the Engine performs better than anticipated, the design is finalized, test mules are being built now, the loan came through and we will begin hiring in May to start production this year!

Well, it COULD happen... not likely, but it COULD happen.
Where's my 'don't hold your breath' image?

Top Bottom