• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors Names Flame-spray Industries As Supplier Of Cylinder Coating Technology

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where do you get that the reference was inferred.
I would much rather have the durability of a corolla or a civic over either of the two automobiles that were given as examples. Those high performance engines could also have something that aids in the longevity of this technology that is cost prohibitive to economy cars (under $100,000).
Just saying if you are gonna tell me that something is gonna be used in an economy car, then it should be proven in economy cars. If it is then let someone post the economy car it is used in. Which makes a lot more sense.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would much rather have the durability of a corolla or a civic over either of the two automobiles that were given as examples. Those high performance engines could also have something that aids in the longevity of this technology that is cost prohibitive to economy cars (under $100,000).
Just saying if you are gonna tell me that something is gonna be used in an economy car, then it should be proven in economy cars. If it is then let someone post the economy car it is used in. Which makes a lot more sense.

Should work fine in an economy car. If it can take 500+hp it can take 60hp. Plus it makes the Elio engine lighter

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wondering why more engines aren't using this treatment if is durable and cost effective ..

Ray

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So no re-boring if the cylinder goes bad, you will have to buy a new block and some bits.... And no boring it out to make the "Eagle" fly....but I wonder...a turbo charger...will it make it scream...or cook its goose.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Just saying.

These are the only two car's with motors built with this process.

The process is less than five years old. You are not going to find it in two million economy cars. Just saying, if you are going to insist this process be proven in economy cars, I would suggest not getting the car or replacing the motor with something you feel more comfortable with when you do get it. Just saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_transferred_wire_arc_thermal_spraying

"So no re-boring if the cylinder goes bad, you will have to buy a new block and some bits"

Old motor cylinders will be honed out, re sprayed, and honed to speck. JMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom