• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors Names Flame-spray Industries As Supplier Of Cylinder Coating Technology

redhedman50

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just email Paul and tell him if EM persists in selling the car with this type of motor you will refuse to take possession and he will look for a different motor. How hard can it be?
You need to read the Terms of Agreement attached to the Elio Motors web site. It says in there he doesn't have to sell you a car and you don't have to buy one. I'm paraphrasing, but go look for yourself.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You need to read the Terms of Agreement attached to the Elio Motors web site. It says in there he doesn't have to sell you a car and you don't have to buy one. I'm paraphrasing, but go look for yourself.

Sorry, this maybe a little over my head. Can't find your point in all that.

redhedman50

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I went and found the agreement and copied the following:

"You are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle. If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio). In the event a purchase is made, your Reservation Payment will be credited against the purchase price."

redhedman50

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Sorry, this maybe a little over my head. Can't find your point in all that.
You told lafrisbee: "Just email Paul and tell him if EM persists in selling the car with this type of motor you will refuse to take possession and he will look for a different motor. How hard can it be?"

Then I said: "You need to read the Terms of Agreement attached to the Elio Motors web site. It says in there he doesn't have to sell you a car and you don't have to buy one. I'm paraphrasing, but go look for yourself."

If you can't seem to connect the dots between those two conversations then I really can't help. (I'll try though. :-) If you are threatening not to buy a car because of something he's doing that you don't like, you're not leveraging him into anything because you are free to walk away, and he doesn't have to do anything for you.) I see people in here all the time griping about this-that-and-the-other. What will you do when Mr. Elio has had enough of the nay-sayers and just says to hell with this endevour because you can't please the masses?

The longer we have to wait the more ugly people are acting on this site with the snide comments. Sad part is its only 1 our of 100 doing it.
I enjoy reading 99% of the posts in here, and dumb questions are ok too because we're getting fresh folks in here that are interested and maybe haven't found all the information that some have read and can repeat on cue. I welcome as many people here that want to purchase an Elio, and am proud that others share a passion for something that could change our lives and the way America thinks about cars. This could be BIG!

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it hasn't altered my view on the car in general, I am still all-in, just disappointed that a focus on 'simple' was bypassed for what seems to be a 'high tech additive' - when it really wasn't necessary, especially if the goal is to get it into production soon. This appears to add an extra processing step, (I am guessing that FlameSpray is a separate entity from the motor manufacturer), so motors will be cast, machined, and then go to Flamespray for coating (and presumably follow-on machining), then back to the engine manufacturer for assembly.
I don't intend to put the same mileage on as a car, more like a motorcycle. (Keep in mind, the life-mileage of the two are calculated differently), so maybe this engine will last the 'lifetime' of the vehicle, based on motorcycles.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went and found the agreement and copied the following:

"You are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle. If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio). In the event a purchase is made, your Reservation Payment will be credited against the purchase price."

I think you meant to quote lafrisbee, he is the one that is not happy with the product and is the one that needs to read the small print.
Me, I will take the car with no air bags, no paint, no seats, no tires,30 miles to the gal or without a motor at all.

We were both typing at the same time. You should give more time to answer.

redhedman50

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think you meant to quote lafrisbee, he is the one that is not happy with the product and is the one that needs to read the small print.
Me, I will take the car with no air bags, no paint, no seats, no tires,30 miles to the gal or without a motor at all.

We were both typing at the same time. You should give more time to answer.
Ok, Sorry if I got the two of you mixed up. Back to work I go, lunch hour over. It goes too fast on this forum. :-)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First, some facts. If I'm wrong, let me know:

IAV was founded in 1983.
Paul Elio is trying to keep the car at $6,800.
Ford was incorporated in 1903.
Paul Elio and co. selected IAV to supply their engine.
IAV will use Flame-Spray Industries to supply the cylinder coatings.
Ford uses plasma-transferred wire arc (similar to what Flame-Spray Industries uses) on some of their engines.

And now a couple of (reasonable) assumptions based on those facts.

Ford should know what they are doing in regards to engine building. Yes, they've made mistakes but that is part of the learning process. They do extensive testing of new technology before releasing it on the public. The benefits of a uniformally cooling/heating cylinder head must outweigh the cons of the surface not being as robust as iron sleeves. Since Paul wants to keep the car cheap both to buy and operate, it seems likely that he selected the process for weight savings (however much it is), cost savings for manufacturing, internal efficiency, and reasonable durability (afterall, how good would the car company do if all the cars fell apart in a year... Ever hear of the Yugo? Yes? Ever seen one on the road?... maybe - but not many and not for long). Rest assured that the engine will be fine with the arc treatment. I mean, complain at will, I'll rest assured. Besides, what good is complaining without any kind of reason? How many recent plasma-transferred wire arc engines are failing? You should be able to answer that before complaining about it. Remember when they couldn't make a blue LED last longer than a year? Solved that one.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First, some facts. If I'm wrong, let me know:

IAV was founded in 1983.
Paul Elio is trying to keep the car at $6,800.
Ford was incorporated in 1903.
Paul Elio and co. selected IAV to supply their engine.
IAV will use Flame-Spray Industries to supply the cylinder coatings.
Ford uses plasma-transferred wire arc (similar to what Flame-Spray Industries uses) on some of their engines.

And now a couple of (reasonable) assumptions based on those facts.

Ford should know what they are doing in regards to engine building. Yes, they've made mistakes but that is part of the learning process. They do extensive testing of new technology before releasing it on the public. The benefits of a uniformally cooling/heating cylinder head must outweigh the cons of the surface not being as robust as iron sleeves. Since Paul wants to keep the car cheap both to buy and operate, it seems likely that he selected the process for weight savings (however much it is), cost savings for manufacturing, internal efficiency, and reasonable durability (afterall, how good would the car company do if all the cars fell apart in a year... Ever hear of the Yugo? Yes? Ever seen one on the road?... maybe - but not many and not for long). Rest assured that the engine will be fine with the arc treatment. I mean, complain at will, I'll rest assured. Besides, what good is complaining without any kind of reason? How many recent plasma-transferred wire arc engines are failing? You should be able to answer that before complaining about it. Remember when they couldn't make a blue LED last longer than a year? Solved that one.

Right on the money.
Not nit-picking

The 2009 Inventor of the Year award goes to Ford and Flame-Spray Industries for the collaborative development of the spray apparatus for use with Ford’s patented production-ready Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) thermal spray coating process for aluminum engine blocks.

This reinforces your point on the amount of engineering behind this procedure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom