• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors Shreveport Operations (extended Cut)

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Think how interesting this will be when they show elio vehicles on the assembly line and all the steps involved.

(At least, I hope they make a video showing this.)
I hope they make a big media event showing Elio #101 coming off the assembly line. It ought to be a monumental event.

Bamdalam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ergonomics is big for manufacturing because you want your workers working, not on disability.

As for the lighting, they should go with LEDs (if they haven't already). CFL isn't nearly as efficient (and has greater power fluctuations, ie, dirty power), than LED.
I'm an electrical salesperson. LED lamps are sort of a scam. Yes, they will last for decades, but what they don't tell you is the drivers (basically the same thing as a ballast for flouresent lamps) will last 5-7 years. Please don't shoot the messenger, but I would wait a few more years for LED prices to come down before I re-lamp.:D

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something I caught during the long version of that video; Metal Body.
I thought they said they were going to evaluate the possibility of using a metal body vs. the composite panels.
It appears to be a done deal if the video holds true.
I heard him say "metal body with painted panels" I think he is referring to the frame as the metal body and the painted panels is the composite/fiberglass panels.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I definitely prefer composite panels as opposed to metal panels.

I believe composite panels will be much more quiet than metal panels.

This would be a good thing to clear up in a future email from Elio Motors.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was watching a show on building Audi's in Germany; they mentioned on the assembly the range or positions the workstations were at to be "age designed". There they don't fire the old guys, they let them work as long as they want; they want the experience they bring with them. I wish that more companies here did that rather than firing the "old guys"; they haven't learned to appreciate the talent and experience the older people bring with them, to even teach the younger workers. <sign> And it's in almost every industry here; but there is hope; the newest hiring swing is to "find the people that know how to do this and hire them, the new people can't do the work".
My favorite words concerning mature workers is Institutional Memory. In my hometown, many old plants were sold off and new owners commenced to firing the more expensive parts of the workforce.

But shortly after that, they had to hire them back at significantly higher wages because they knew the plants inside and out. Stories abound of them being hired, finding a problem almost immediately, and then being told that couldn't be. So they would sit around the office for weeks or even months until those naysayers finally would listen and the problem would be solved. The mature folks called that easy money.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Heh. I remember reading one about a guy who was nearing retirement. He took care of the steam system in the coach yard of one of the Chicago commuter rail lines, back in the days before head end power, when the coaches were still heated by steam. His boss routinely verbally abused him, and otherwise treated him terribly. One of his co workers asked him why he put up with it. He asked this guy if he had ever seen a diagram of the yard's steam piping. Co worker said that he never had. He said that that's because it's all in my head, and when I go, it goes with me... :D

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For all the naysayers who said it was a scam, there's just too many pieces falling into place for it not to happen.

Yes. I was thinking about all the "scam" comments while watching this; if it was a scam, it would have to go down in history as the most detailed, elaborate and expensive scam ever conceived.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes. I was thinking about all the "scam" comments while watching this; if it was a scam, it would have to go down in history as the most detailed, elaborate and expensive scam ever conceived.
Many people misuse the term scam. It is intended to refer to those who intentionally defraud people by selling a product which they know does not work. But many now use it for any venture they do not profit from. They demand certainty or it's a scam. That leaves risky startups in the middle area between old and new definitions.

Top Bottom