• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio P5 At Detroit Auto Show

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you Ekh, those are some great pictures.
Did you get a chance to talk to them about some of the hot spots that are constantly discussed here? (i.e. the dash, the build date, etc.)
Yes. They're pretty confident they can still make the 12/16 date. Might slip a couple of weeks. I opined that a couple of weeks was one thing, 3 months another. They're well aware that they need to make these deadlines if humanly possible.

The dash was discussed. I can't say more than that, except that while there may be some details changed (such as the numerical scale), it's the concept and we are stuck with it.

We talked extensively about safety and the perception of safety. I'm not at liberty to discuss in any detail, but I can say EM is confident that a custom test protocol will be designed that gives a fair evaluation of the Elio, and that they remain highly confident that the car will do well in the actual testing.

One of my concerns is making the "outriggers" visible. The view from close behind the Elio at driver's-eye level would have them pretty well invisible at night. Reflective tape strips will probably be standard equipment on the leading and trailing edges of the wheel covers, and LED strips are an option if a good way to route power to the wheel covers can be found. You'd have to have a removable plug-in connection because the wheel covers must be removed for any sort of tire change or brake service. I wish our forum members would try to design a good way to handle this problem. But at least the tape will do the job.

This issue is why I took the rear view photo of the car from close up, and the reason I took the photos of the car covered up -- the covers define the Elio's "box", that is the physical space through which it moves. For safety, all the corners of that box need to be highly visible, or some loony will give the "motorcycle" in front of him a close brush, and there goes the driver's side wheel.

I'm glad you like the photos. They're not intended to be glamour shots, but to present accurate, non-misleading views of the car and its details that Forum members may find useful.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes. They're pretty confident they can still make the 12/16 date. Might slip a couple of weeks. I opined that a couple of weeks was one thing, 3 months another. They're well aware that they need to make these deadlines if humanly possible.

The dash was discussed. I can't say more than that, except that while there may be some details changed (such as the numerical scale), it's the concept and we are stuck with it.

We talked extensively about safety and the perception of safety. I'm not at liberty to discuss in any detail, but I can say EM is confident that a custom test protocol will be designed that gives a fair evaluation of the Elio, and that they remain highly confident that the car will do well in the actual testing.

One of my concerns is making the "outriggers" visible. The view from close behind the Elio at driver's-eye level would have them pretty well invisible at night. Reflective tape strips will probably be standard equipment on the leading and trailing edges of the wheel covers, and LED strips are an option if a good way to route power to the wheel covers can be found. You'd have to have a removable plug-in connection because the wheel covers must be removed for any sort of tire change or brake service. I wish our forum members would try to design a good way to handle this problem. But at least the tape will do the job.

This issue is why I took the rear view photo of the car from close up, and the reason I took the photos of the car covered up -- the covers define the Elio's "box", that is the physical space through which it moves. For safety, all the corners of that box need to be highly visible, or some loony will give the "motorcycle" in front of him a close brush, and there goes the driver's side wheel.

I'm glad you like the photos. They're not intended to be glamour shots, but to present accurate, non-misleading views of the car and its details that Forum members may find useful.
They are actually considered glamour shots by most Forum members. Thanks. Now all I need is a GoPro slalom shot.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kind of off and on topic..........
Do you suppose we will be able to get that custom Elio cover as an option?
If it's not available I'll be planning on making at least one for myself. I haven't looked too far into a supplier, but I like the fabric that frogskin rain jackets are made from. Lightweight and water repellent.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Seems like an LED strip on the bottom of the rear part of the fender would be visible and not interfere with aerodynamics. Perhaps flat wiring mounted on the inside surface of the fender (facing the vehicle) to a trailer style quick-connect would work.
NewRearlights.jpg
aptera rearview.jpg

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems like an LED strip on the bottom of the rear part of the fender would be visible and not interfere with aerodynamics. Perhaps flat wiring mounted on the inside surface of the fender (facing the vehicle) to a trailer style quick-connect would work.
View attachment 7964 View attachment 7965
That's how I would do it too.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

On a way to run power to LED strips on the fender ......
Run the wire under the rear leg of the upper A arm and connect at outer end using flat connector.

REH-85208_HK.jpg

That way it can be used on any fender type.

---> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/r..._ZB8h7b0gqt-jKf62-Hjzan4zY2qAO2TEcaAtqC8P8HAQ <---

Top Bottom