• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Price Discussion, $6800?

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I may be your vice president in that club.:)
I wish to compliment both Dustoff and JDKeats for taking those admirable positions. An even disposition requires the realization that everyone is either right or wrong at times. It's the experts that are always appointing themselves to knowledgeable positions that cause most the problems. Now you know my secret. I plan always to stay an amateur in all my pursuits.

russell ramsdell

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We all signed on for 6800----the first run should be at, or very close to that -don't keep saying you'll pay more if need be ,I think the reservists should get it at the advertised price or slightly over, for a different standard option - such as auto trans-but WE-who fronted the money to get this deal going -should get the deal -after the reservists orders are filled then they can -raise the price as they see fit--ps .I love me some elio autocycle

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We all signed on for 6800----the first run should be at, or very close to that -don't keep saying you'll pay more if need be ,I think the reservists should get it at the advertised price or slightly over, for a different standard option - such as auto trans-but WE-who fronted the money to get this deal going -should get the deal -after the reservists orders are filled then they can -raise the price as they see fit--ps .I love me some elio autocycle
Wait a minute......."$6800 or slightly over"...........is saying you will pay more! I say $6800 not a penny more. LOL I think Paul Elio will accomplish and honor the anticipated $6800 MSRP base Elio.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really expect they'll hit that $6,800 target on the initial run of pre-reserved autocycles. It's in their marketing interest to bring the Elio to the public at that low number. They can begin to inch upward in future months. The media value of that low starting price will be incredible and will bring priceless publicity to this remarkable startup.

That's what I suspect too. The initial batch will be sold for $6,800 even if it's at a loss. I imagine the second year production run will have to start generating a better profit. However they can't go too high since there are regular 4-wheel cars that can be bought for $11,000. If they can't keep this vehicle below $10K it'll be a failure.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wait a minute......."$6800 or slightly over"...........is saying you will pay more! I say $6800 not a penny more. LOL I think Paul Elio will accomplish and honor the anticipated $6800 MSRP base Elio.
I also think that EM will accomplish and honor the projected base price (or crash and burn trying).

Rickb and fpelsdca, I believe that Russell is saying, "...or slightly over, for a different option..."
Meaning if you order an auto tranny or other option(s), it'll be, of course, slightly over the $6800.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is it about you guys that you can't let go of MSRP? Do you even know what MSRP means? It means Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. That means negotiable. Elio's $6800, according to Paul Elio, is the Elio price for a vehicle without options. Please scratch MSRP language from your memory. It is unhealthy and insulting to Paul Elio's dream and goals. So, my Elio is going to cost $6800 plus delivery and license (no sales tax in Oregon). I will have to pay extra for auo (unforunately), cruise (expected), openable rear windows (expected) and trailer hitch if I get one (expected). That is it and that is one of the things I love about the Elio and Paul Elio's dream. No stinkin' MSRP! No negotiating. Also everyone who gets the same options as I do will pay the same price. How cool is that! LOL :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it is very likely that Elio Motors will sell the first year models at $6800. Not only does this prove they were able to do it, while also rewarding the reservation holders, but these vehicles were sold without retail sales expenses and minimal marketing costs which gives Elio Motors plenty of wiggle room before they actually start selling vehicles at a loss. From a business plan, which was released as part of the negotiations with Caddo Parish, we know that company operations, warranty and liability costs, plant operations, and assembly parts and labor only account for about 75% of the retail cost of the vehicle. The remaining 25% is devoted to retail operations, marketing and profit margin. This gives EM roughly $1700 (25% of $6800 = $1700) to play with before they actually start losing money on each vehicle sold.

The second year is where things get more interesting as increases in production costs get added to any cost overruns in retail operations and marketing. Hopefully they can keep a tight lid on all these costs or there could indeed be a fairly steep jump in the price. This being said even if the price jumps a large amount such as 25% ($1700 :D) to $8,500 in the second year it will still be thousands of dollars less than the nearest available new car at that time while having much better gas mileage.

Anyone is free to check out the old business plan for themselves at the link below. The plan is about two years old and shows production beginning in November 2013 with a retail price of $5959 however the percentages should remain roughly the same as the overall price increases.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6pgWLAKqAbLSkNUUURwNlNHMTQ/edit

Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe it is very likely that Elio Motors will sell the first year models at $6800. Not only does this prove they were able to do it, while also rewarding the reservation holders, but these vehicles were sold without retail sales expenses and minimal marketing costs which gives Elio Motors plenty of wiggle room before they actually start selling vehicles at a loss. From a business plan, which was released as part of the negotiations with Caddo Parish, we know that company operations, warranty and liability costs, plant operations, and assembly parts and labor only account for about 75% of the retail cost of the vehicle. The remaining 25% is devoted to retail operations, marketing and profit margin. This gives EM roughly $1700 (25% of $6800 = $1700) to play with before they actually start losing money on each vehicle sold.

The second year is where things get more interesting as increases in production costs get added to any cost overruns in retail operations and marketing. Hopefully they can keep a tight lid on all these costs or there could indeed be a fairly steep jump in the price. This being said even if the price jumps a large amount such as 25% ($1700 :D) to $8,500 in the second year it will still be thousands of dollars less than the nearest available new car at that time while having much better gas mileage.

Anyone is free to check out the old business plan for themselves at the link below. The plan is about two years old and shows production beginning in November 2013 with a retail price of $5959 however the percentages should remain roughly the same as the overall price increases.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6pgWLAKqAbLSkNUUURwNlNHMTQ/edit
Hey Goofyone, it's been a while since I last checked in and I would say you're doing a good job keeping this site civil.
First of, I've been all in for 1K so I'm with everybody who wants this Elio at the promised $6800.00 Now having said that, do you honestly believe in your heart that it's possible? Here's some lingering questions that I've heard from my buddies who does not think so and most likely will cause more delays in production from 2015 to a much later year. Here's what they're saying:
1) Paul Elio has been saying all along that this reverse trike has "no new technology" with parts readily available right now. So why is it taking this long to get this to production? If the funding is abundant and readily available, it won't take 12-24 months to bring this out! The current P4 design is fine...a little more additional feature to bring it to P5 shouldn't take that long!
2) Elio Motors need to find, buy or lease the 60+ locations all over the country and get them set up even before the first Elio rolls down the assembly line....again money is involved in this huge undertaking! Nothing has been mentioned about this let alone some activities or acquisitions of possible sites.
3) The 1500 employees that needs to be hired and get paid, again money is at the top of the list on this!
I know how much this Elio means to a lot of us and our attraction to this $6800. price is what drove us to commit "all in" but bringing this to fruition AT A LOSS will not play well with investors which brings this back to my original question....do you honestly believe it will happen or are we all be disappointed with yet another delay or worse yet....being slapped with totally different price? Time is never in anyone's side and the longer they wait, the more expensive "this available parts" and salaries will be! Of course, we all say, better do it right the first time than getting a lemon by receiving it early, but the fact remains that there's nothing new to test except the new engine and the reverse trike design! Everything else are proven parts that's been in use reliably in other cars, right? So, is it really the testing that's taking too long or is it something much more serious like funding or the promised $6800. price? I'm currently in for 2 Elios and would gladly pay for that price + the necessary taxes, etc.

Top Bottom