• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elios Mileage Range Vs Storage

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As for the storage, there is none above the wheel, that's where the wheel goes when you hit a bump. But there do appear to be "indentations" in the body work, probably for strength and support, that might be used for storage in desperation.

2ii76f7.jpg

THOSE COULD MAKE NICE LITTLE CUBBIES TO STORE THINGS LIKE TOOLS ,
PARTS LIKE BULBS , AN EXTRA FAN BELT AND A SPARE BOTTLE OF MOTOR OIL

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a very simple fix for more carry capacity; external saddle bags.

WE ONCE AGAIN ARE EMULATING THE AUTOCYCLES OF THE PAST .

MESSERSCHMITT OFFERED A SIDE MOUNT LUGGAGE RACK BACK IN THE 50's

c23002759d6143b3f022f7435df2c886.jpg

JUST THE THING TO CARRY AN EXTRA SUITCASE AND IT CAN FOLD
FLAT WHEN NOT IN USE .

schmitt-rack00.jpg

I was just thinking the other day, that something like that would be PERFECT for the Elio. Two racks, large enough to handle typical airliner checked bags, then put your carry-ons in the trunk and two people could take the Elio to the airport.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just thinking the other day, that something like that would be PERFECT for the Elio. Two racks, large enough to handle typical airliner checked bags, then put your carry-ons in the trunk and two people could take the Elio to the airport.

The airport is 10 minutes from my house, I will just call a cab or better yet just drive my Ellio and the money I saved on the flight I can buy new clothes when I get there.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The airport is 10 minutes from my house, I will just call a cab or better yet just drive my Ellio and the money I saved on the flight I can buy new clothes when I get there.

I live two hours from the airport: if I drive my Elio instead of calling a cab or shuttle, then I can use the money I save to buy some cheesy touristy memorabilia from my destination :p

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I live two hours from the airport: if I drive my Elio instead of calling a cab or shuttle, then I can use the money I save to buy some cheesy touristy memorabilia from my destination :p
If I didn't pickup a magnet and a T-shirt at every different place I've been to I'd be missing 70% of my of my wardrobe or be able to cover the fridge with my granddaughters art work like I did. :becky:

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
No need for insults. You said the Elio wasn't big enough for your camping needs. Twice. But apparently you need to "lighten up" , so I'll stop responding to you now since you can't take criticism or a joke. :rolleyes:
Just for clarification purposes, because I didn't post this to be difficult. I never once, let alone twice say that Elio was not big enough for my camping needs, try to find where I said that. I merely suggested there was an opportunity to gain some storage without much of a compromise. For other folks reading this, review the exchange and you will clearly see where the problem is. I'm unsubscribing to this thread now, nothing left to say.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio has an 8 gallon gas tank with a range over 650 miles, no car I've ever owned had or needed that kind of range. Why not reduce the tank to 4-5 gallons and use that saved space for additional storage?
No. I will revel the day when I can roll without having to fill up for long periods of time. Stopping for the needed break is fine, but it will be finer to be able to take a stretch, and then continue the roll. Or only have to stop for petrol for the daily commutes every 2 or 3 weeks. Awesome!

BearLakeSteve

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My wife and I took a 16 day trip with one carry on each. For most 2-5 day trips we can squeeze down to a single, shared carry on. But I don't think even that will fit in the trunk of an Elio. When I get mine, I will commission a duffle bag designed to exactly fill the Eli's unique trunk space and use that for travel luggage.

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've held my tongue as long as I can... It's a COMMUTER vehicle. If you have to camp on your commute, you either need to move or find another job. You can modify it to your hearts desire, but don't whine about what it isn't.

Rant over.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just because it's designed to be a commuter vehicle doesn't mean it can't be used in other ways. If people want to do ultra-light car camping or road trips with minimal luggage in it, that's fine with me. I have no reason to complain until EM starts changing the design to accommodate different use cases. Since that seems unlikely, speculate away on the myriad of uses you can come up with. It only increases the potential market and makes the Elio more likely to succeed.

Top Bottom