• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exterior Body Options

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that cause drag and cut down the MPG?:(

Yes it would. More aerodynamic downforce leads to more aerodynamic drag which lowers MPG.

I can see where some people may want to add some handling aids, especially if they want to road race these vehicles, however for most of us having the vehicle as streamlined as possible will be what we want for maximum MPG.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Spoiler Alert!

There are some folks who will add aero effects. At speeds under 110mph, the downforce produced by spoilers, wings, air dams, and splitters is of questionable effect. Of course, as usual, taste is optional. :)

83nissan_taj-jackobs_lr.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Spoiler Alert!

There are some folks who will add aero effects. At speeds under 110mph, the downforce produced by spoilers, wings, air dams, and splitters is of questionable effect. Of course, as usual, taste is optional. :)
But of course, you know, in the aftermarket, if it can be done it will be done.
arak13.jpg

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the aerodynamic stance of the vehicle has already been taken to its max. When you hear them sweating bullets over the placement of the windshield wipers you know the wind foil dynamics of this vehicle are foremost in there minds.
MK

I believe I read where they are redesigning the hood and front intake (again). Apparently they are at 80+ mpg, but not quite 84 and the redesign is an attempt to hit that magic number of 84. Hell anything over 70 is OK with me. Every year they delay is a lot of extra money I'm paying on gas. Since the majority of my driving is around town where super slippery aerodynamics don't count anyway I'm considering going with the earlier style open fenders with nice mag wheels and wide tires for the 'hot rod' look. Buy the car in black then drive it straight to a custom paint shop for a flame job. Oooo-yeah baby!

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many manufactures are including belly pans to squeeze the maximum mpg out of their cars so I can't believe the Elio will not have one. Regarding the rear wheel and it's contribution to aerodynamic drag remember in a standard car there are 4 wheels causing turbulence. In addition it's easy to mold in a fairing to coax the wind around the rear tire before it gets there. Having done lots of drag reduction on the airplanes I've built I can tell you it's not an easy thing to do. Also consider the added hassle of removing the belly pan whenever you need an oil change.

I have some vortex generators (VG's) left over from my last plane. I plan on installing them over the roof to keep the flow attached. This is the single easiest thing to do to reduce drag. Some cars are actually beginning to have VG's factory installed for this purpose.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Many manufactures are including belly pans to squeeze the maximum mpg out of their cars so I can't believe the Elio will not have one. Regarding the rear wheel and it's contribution to aerodynamic drag remember in a standard car there are 4 wheels causing turbulence. In addition it's easy to mold in a fairing to coax the wind around the rear tire before it gets there. Having done lots of drag reduction on the airplanes I've built I can tell you it's not an easy thing to do. Also consider the added hassle of removing the belly pan whenever you need an oil change.

I have some vortex generators (VG's) left over from my last plane. I plan on installing them over the roof to keep the flow attached. This is the single easiest thing to do to reduce drag. Some cars are actually beginning to have VG's factory installed for this purpose.

We all need to keep in mind that the goal of this vehicle is not to achieve the maximum MPG possible but instead a balance of very low cost while also maintaining a very high MPG rating. There are many things EM could have included in this vehicle and engine design which would have resulted in higher MPG however these additions would also result in a higher vehicle price as these items would lead to more development, testing, and/or parts costs.

The good news is that in working so hard to keep the vehicle price as low as possible many people will be able to experiment and modify this vehicle in many interesting ways which should be a lot of fun to watch and learn from.

Last edited:
Top Bottom