• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exterior Body Options

NOLIKEIT

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have a belly pan but while aero slip would be a big thing I would want some down force at the front and rear to keep all of the wheels planted for some spunk around the bends.

Dallas

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Also if there is a underbilly pan I would design it to give easy access to change oil. I had a Mazda 3 that had a shield under the engine and the fast oil changing outfit charged me $10 extra to remove it and change the oil. I was not happy to say the vary least about that!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a ripoff. $10 to take one bolt off. WOW!!!

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Underbody aerodynamics was main reason the T-Rex car that Jeff Gordon drove in the 1997 All Star race so fast. The car was legal before the race, but Nascar rewrote the rule books after that race to make it illegal. There are gains in MPG to be had by making the underbody more aerodynamic.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I would be quite surprised if the underside of this vehicle were not smooth as Elio Motors has been very focused on aerodynamics to improve fuel economy.

Having said that if it were possible for them to achieve their MPG goal without it then not having to spend money on a belly pan would contribute to their price goal.

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IIRC, the prototypes have flat belly's, making the exhaust hang down pretty low. Weather the belly is composite or metal, there will need to be some provision for heat shielding or insulation. I would think it would be easier to mold a channel for the exhaust & muffler, so it would be "recessed" and not hanging down. This would accomplish several "positives"...1) Improved ground clearance, 2) air cooling of the exhaust, 3) reduced turbulence/ improved aerodynamics, 4) eliminate the need for, and cost of an additional belly pan, 5) since the exhaust wouldn't be "sandwiched between the body and belly pan, reduced heat shielding/ insulation required.
Someone mentioned "catalytic converter?"...I am wondering if there will be one. Don't know if a "cat" is required by law, on a M/C. just my 2 cents.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
IIRC, the prototypes have flat belly's, making the exhaust hang down pretty low. Weather the belly is composite or metal, there will need to be some provision for heat shielding or insulation. I would think it would be easier to mold a channel for the exhaust & muffler, so it would be "recessed" and not hanging down. This would accomplish several "positives"...1) Improved ground clearance, 2) air cooling of the exhaust, 3) reduced turbulence/ improved aerodynamics, 4) eliminate the need for, and cost of an additional belly pan, 5) since the exhaust wouldn't be "sandwiched between the body and belly pan, reduced heat shielding/ insulation required.
Someone mentioned "catalytic converter?"...I am wondering if there will be one. Don't know if a "cat" is required by law, on a M/C. just my 2 cents.
We do know the Elio will have a catalytic converter as this has been mentioned in the Tech Talk series. On this video the catalytic converter is the cone shaped object attached to the exhaust manifold easily visible starting about six seconds into the video.

<br/>

This location is good for a flat underside as the cat is not under the car.

After the exhaust was accidentally knocked off the P4 in NYC I do believe it was mentioned that that production Elio would have a recessed exhaust. As has been mentioned this would also allow for a smooth underside.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We do know the Elio will have a catalytic converter as this has been mentioned in the Tech Talk series. On this video the catalytic converter is the cone shaped object attached to the exhaust manifold easily visible starting about six seconds into the video.

<br/>

This location is good for a flat underside as the cat is not under the car.

After the exhaust was accidentally knocked off the P4 in NYC I do believe it was mentioned that that production Elio would have a recessed exhaust. As has been mentioned this would also allow for a smooth underside.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Top Bottom