• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the Creole seasoning is also great to spice up a pot of ham and bean soup.
Next up BBQ Rub
1/4 - 1 C brown sugar
1/4 C paprika
1 T chili powder
1 T mustard powder
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 T black pepper
1 T kosher salt
1 T cumin ( I don't like cumin, so I use 1 tsp cumin and 1 T smoked paprika )
1 tsp cayenne pepper ( add more if you like it spicy
C = cup, T = tablespoon, tsp = teaspoon
I make this recipe x5 ( using 1/4 cup brown sugar per recipe ) and keep it in a cool dark place, in an air tight container. Now the best part is you can use this as a rub or spice base for Chicken, Beef, Pork, Salmon or for baked beans. For beans, brisket or ribs, add more brown sugar up to the 1 cup per recipe.
Keep in mind brown sugar burns at high temperture on the grill but will carmelize at lower temps when doing a brisket or ribs.

Quick recipe using mix:
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, ( I just use whole chicken breasts ) rub with one cup of mix, put in crockpot on low and let it cook for 4-6 hours until chicken is tender (time depends on the size of chicken pieces) remove and shred or chop chicken. Put it back in the crockpot to keep warm You should not have to add any liquid but if the chicken looks dry add some chicken broth to keep it moist. I usually add 1/4 cup more of the mix and let it cook another 1/2 hour. Serve on buns or over rice.

Follow the same for lean beef or pork loin only cook longer 8 -12 hours.
Using pork butt or shoulder, trim off some of the excess fat before rubing with mix. When Shredding the meat remove most of the fat, unless of course your the type who loves the extra fat in their BBQ sandwich.
Enjoy!

Reactions: DWR

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a major comfort food from my childhood. Still make it today, and everyone always likes it. It doesn't taste at all like it sounds but it's very easy, and makes a lot.

Sausage Casserole

2 lbs. sausage - 1 hot, 1 mild (or your preference)
2 - green bell peppers, chopped
1 - large onion, chopped
1 - can of sliced mushrooms, drained
1 - can of chicken with rice condensed soup
1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
10 oz. of medium broad noodles
1 - can of cream style corn

Brown the sausage, with the chopped green pepper and onion added about half way through to partially "saut'e" them. Drain the sausage when browned. While cooking the sausage, boil the noodles till done and drain. Add the soup, mushrooms, corn, and noodles to the sausage mixture. Stir in cheese while mixture is hot (may require more stove heat to completely melt the cheese). Pour into casserole dish. Bake at 350 deg. for 15 min., or until it bubbles. cover with foil until the last 5 min. while baking. Freezes well. can be heated without thawing. Makes 3-4 quarts.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I GOT QUESTIONS...

For #7, do you put the aluminum foil down first, then the parchment paper?
For #8, is this bacon just separate bacon that you've cooked 'til crispy?

I will try this!

#7 line the pan with aluminum foil (makes cleanup much easier) .... parchment paper goes on top of the foil

These are porky goodness. I make these quit often, but simply wrap the smokies with 1/3 slice of uncooked bacon, insert a toothpick, put them into an unlined rectangular pyrex baking dish,sprinkle with black pepper, and heavy sprinkle of brown sugar over the top that caramelizes in bacon fat as they bake. A very easy and perfect pancake or waffle breakfast side or Appetizer. BBQ Sauce is optional for me. Thanks for sharing JEBar.

#8 as Rick notes, simply wrap the smikies with the 1/3slice of uncooked bacon and secure with a toothpick .... for us, thin sliced bacon works best .... keep an eye on them, they are easy to overcook

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:)

Strangely, I've only been as far south as Piedmont, MO, and mainly for camping/floating (Once to Greenville, MO for fishing at Lake Wapapello). I've got some good friends that have kin down in Dexter, MO, and I think I remember her talking about a restuarant that chucked rolls at you...Going to have to make a roadtrip down that way!

Starve yourself first. They keep bringing more to you. I about had my plate empty, when the owner hove into view with a pot and a huge serving spoon... "God, no more! I'm gonna explode!" I groaned. A load of carrots went splat! on the plate. "Good." He said, "I wanna watch!" :-)

I just love fresh bread, I could make a meal entirely out of the rolls.

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Road trip lunch or dinner stop. If you're near Sikeston, Missouri on I-55, starve yourself for as long as possible and then go to Lambert's. Everything is good, and you'll get MORE than enough! And be careful about putting your hand up or you'll find a freshly baked, softball sized roll flying towards you! (NSTG8R, you should know this place!)

We Love Lambert's! Two of them are on our path to the Kansas relatives. We time our trip to hit one of them every time!

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Okay time to pull out some recipes ( non diet;) ) and start posting.:D
Let's start with saving a little money by making your own
Creole Seasoning
2 T Onion powder
2 T Garlic powder
2 T dried oregano
2 T dried sweet basil
1 T dried thyme
1 T black pepper
1 T white pepper
1 T cayenne pepper
1 T celery seed
5 T sweet paprika
1 - 3 T kosher salt (depending on your taste, I use 1 T)

T = table spoon
Mix everything in a spice mill, blender or food processor till well blended
Use in any recipe calling for creole seasoning. Great for seasoning chicken, pork, seafood or making shrimp creole.

I love the inspirations here - You guys have better recipes than FaceBook!
So anyway, I am thinking about making Frogmore Stew for a summer cookout, would this seasoning work in that. I don't know where to find a crab bag. :)

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I love the inspirations here - You guys have better recipes than FaceBook!
So anyway, I am thinking about making Frogmore Stew for a summer cookout, would this seasoning work in that. I don't know where to find a crab bag. :)

It would be neat if there was a recipe version of Facebook; call it CookBook? :)

There is a great place in Salisbury MA called Hungry Traveler. The food there is really good.

There is a great place in Hampton NH called Galley Hatch.

Top Bottom