• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
in my post above, the Holland Grill and Smoke Daddy are both links .... this is our the one shown above is our 2nd Companion .... we use it heavily for 12 years, it had cooked in all of the lower 48 states .... years of heating and cooling finally took its tole so we purchased the one we use now .... if a person likes slow, drama free cooking they are great .... we see bunches of ones shown in your link in Texas, they are very popular down there

Sorry, I'm such a 'techno-tard', I keep forgetting that you're able to rename a link so it fits in your comments. One of these days I'll figure that out instead of my standard "copy/paste" technique.

You definitely got your money's worth out of your first Holland Grill if you put it threw it's paces for 12 years...Understandable why you'd purchase another one.

I saw the Oklahoma Joe smoker for the first time at Lowes, and the model they had was waaaay too big for my needs, but I was very impressed with the heavy gauge construction. The price was not in the range ($600+) to keep me out of the dog house with the wife, but it got me looking at their website. Found the Highland model fit the bill, and was only $268....SOLD!! With some periodic maintenance, I hope I can get as many years with it as you got with your Holland.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I saw the Oklahoma Joe smoker for the first time at Lowes, and the model they had was waaaay too big for my needs, but I was very impressed with the heavy gauge construction. The price was not in the range ($600+) to keep me out of the dog house with the wife, but it got me looking at their website. Found the Highland model fit the bill, and was only $268....SOLD!! With some periodic maintenance, I hope I can get as many years with it as you got with your Holland.

sounds like you got a good one, hopefully it will serve you well .... we have a MasterBuilt smoker out in the garage but it is way too big to take on the road with us .... during Thanksgiving/Christmas we smoke turkeys and sausage .... really enjoy doing that

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

after reading you mention of buying a smoker, I got to thinking that with the rainy, cold weather here today, it might be a good day to fire up our smoker .... drover over to the "abattoir" (one can't say slaughterhouse any more so they now use the French word abattoir .... the definition of which is slaughterhouse :rolleyes:) were we picked up 15 lbs of homemade sausage .... put it in the smoker with some hickory and the area around the garage really smells good right now

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

3.5 hrs later .... taste tested .... outstanding
IMG_4533.jpg

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
after reading you mention of buying a smoker, I got to thinking that with the rainy, cold weather here today, it might be a good day to fire up our smoker .... drover over to the "abattoir" (one can't say slaughterhouse any more so they now use the French word abattoir .... the definition of which is slaughterhouse :rolleyes:) were we picked up 15 lbs of homemade sausage .... put it in the smoker with some hickory and the area around the garage really smells good right now

View attachment 5111

View attachment 5112
For a minute there I thought you were grinding and stuffing your own homemade sausage, but smoking fresh sausage from the abattoir is the next best thing. Damn, I bet that does smell good!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For a minute there I thought you were grinding and stuffing your own homemade sausage, but smoking fresh sausage from the abattoir is the next best thing. Damn, I bet that does smell good!

years ago I helped make sausage and found it to be an interesting process .... back when I was catering what we call a Pig Pickin', we've bought a bunches of whole hogs to throw on a grill (the one I have back was built to cook three 180 pound hogs at the same time) at the same abattoir .... their sausage is good to our taste and only cost a little over $2 a pound (we just paid $36 tax included for 15 lbs ) .... at that price, it ain't worth the equipment, time and effort it would take for us to make it .... we found that you can separate it into meal size portions and put the packs in the freezer .... it last a long time and if gently reheated prior to serving it is excellent

[Broken External Image]

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
years ago I helped make sausage and found it to be an interesting process .... back when I was catering what we call a Pig Pickin', we've bought a bunches of whole hogs to throw on a grill (the one I have back was built to cook three 180 pound hogs at the same time) at the same abattoir .... their sausage is good to our taste and only cost a little over $2 a pound (we just paid $36 tax included for 15 lbs ) .... at that price, it ain't worth the equipment, time and effort it would take for us to make it .... we found that you can separate it into meal size portions and put the packs in the freezer .... it last a long time and if gently reheated prior to serving it is excellent

[Broken External Image]

WOW! That looks good! :)
I've got a co-worker that has a catering company down near St. Genevieve, MO. I get 20lbs of sausage/brats at a time from him. Place is called Oberle's. Ditto on separating them into meal size portions and freezing them. Very convenient, and I save a bundle on buying the small packs from the store. Looks like Okie Joe will be getting fired up again tonight!;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Chinese Hot Mustard

when we go to a Chinese restaurant I really enjoy their hot, yellow mustard on an egg roll .... you know, the mustard that clears your sinuses and you can feel it in your nose .... over the years I've looked in every grocery store we visit (including Asian markets) for the mustard and while I've bought many different bottles of a bunch of different brands, I have never been able to find it .... I recently talked with a young lady who has just returned from spending about 5 years in China where she owned and operated her own school where English was taught ... I asked her about it and she said that mustard isn't used in China ..
eek.gif
.. her analogy was there is a difference in Mexican and Tex Mex .... the hot mustard is found in Americanized Chinese restaurants ..
doh3.gif
.. another lady who overheard our conversation and told me that several years ago she spent a great deal of time looking for the hot mustard and that she'd found it ..
smile.gif
.. she said to look for Coleman's Dry Mustard which can be found in the spice area of many larger grocery stores .... with Coleman being a well known Chinese name
baghead.gif
, I immediately called my wife who was able to find it .... you just pour some of the powder into a small sealable bowl and mix in enough water to get the consistency you want .... when I gave it a try I found
bravo.gif
.... it is absolutely the right mustard .... come to find out Coleman's Mustard is a product of Coleman's of Norwich, England .... since a little dab will do you, the can should last a good while .... we now keep one in the camper and one at home .... my wife doesn't eat it but I am really going to enjoy it

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chinese Hot Mustard

when we go to a Chinese restaurant I really enjoy their hot, yellow mustard on an egg roll .... you know, the mustard that clears your sinuses and you can feel it in your nose .... over the years I've looked in every grocery store we visit (including Asian markets) for the mustard and while I've bought many different bottles of a bunch of different brands, I have never been able to find it .... I recently talked with a young lady who has just returned from spending about 5 years in China where she owned and operated her own school where English was taught ... I asked her about it and she said that mustard isn't used in China ..
eek.gif
.. her analogy was there is a difference in Mexican and Tex Mex .... the hot mustard is found in Americanized Chinese restaurants ..
doh3.gif
.. another lady who overheard our conversation and told me that several years ago she spent a great deal of time looking for the hot mustard and that she'd found it ..
smile.gif
.. she said to look for Coleman's Dry Mustard which can be found in the spice area of many larger grocery stores .... with Coleman being a well known Chinese name
baghead.gif
, I immediately called my wife who was able to find it .... you just pour some of the powder into a small sealable bowl and mix in enough water to get the consistency you want .... when I gave it a try I found
bravo.gif
.... it is absolutely the right mustard .... come to find out Coleman's Mustard is a product of Coleman's of Norwich, England .... since a little dab will do you, the can should last a good while .... we now keep one in the camper and one at home .... my wife doesn't eat it but I am really going to enjoy it

Big +1 on the Chinese Mustard. I'm also a fan of horse radish, and that horse radish sauce you put on sandwiches. Try some Wasabi [with extreme caution :eek:], it reminds me a lot of the hot mustard you described. Wife's not a fan of the sinus-clearing condiments either....more for me!:D

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Big +1 on the Chinese Mustard. I'm also a fan of horse radish, and that horse radish sauce you put on sandwiches. Try some Wasabi [with extreme caution :eek:], it reminds me a lot of the hot mustard you described. Wife's not a fan of the sinus-clearing condiments either....more for me!:D

give the Coleman's a try .... I'd like to hear your evaluation .... I do enjoy horse radish, specially in seafood cocktail sauce

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
give the Coleman's a try .... I'd like to hear your evaluation .... I do enjoy horse radish, specially in seafood cocktail sauce

Will do, on the Coleman's. I'm thinking you could make some wicked hot wings with the stuff...maybe with a little honey to take the edge off.

Add to the wife's grocery list:

- Bag of chicken wings
- Coleman's Dry Mustard

Top Bottom