• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why it pays to be VEGAN!!!! I wonder if it tastes like Chicken?? :-)

Castaway Who Survived 14 Months At Sea Sued For Cannibalism Of Shipmate
Jose Salvador Alvarenga said he was so hungry during the ordeal that he ate his own fingernails.
12/17/2015 05:55 am ET

A Salvadoran fisherman who survived 438 days lost at sea is now being sued by his dead shipmate's family over allegations that he ate the man in order to stay alive.

The family of Ezequiel Córdoba, who was reported to have starved to death months into the ordeal, is seeking $1 million, reports Fox News Latino, citing El Diario de Hoy.

Jose Salvador Alvarenga -- the world's longest surviving castaway -- has repeatedly denied the accusation.

567247d7160000b300eb913e.jpe
ELIZABETH RUIZ VIA GETTY IMAGES
Jose Salvador Alvarenga greets Roselia Diaz, mother of dead castaway Ezequiel Cordoba, March 15, 2014.
In November 2012, Alvarenga set sail in a small fishing boat from a coastal town in Mexico with Córdoba. He'd agreed to pay the 22-year-old $50 for the planned two-day fishing trip.

Instead, the men ran into a massive storm and seemingly vanished. More than a year later, Alvarenga washed ashore, alone, on an atoll in the Marshall Islands, some 6,700 miles away from where he went missing.

The story Alvarenga, 37, told in the wake of his rescue -- surviving on raw fish, turtle blood and his own urine -- was nothing short of incredible. After some initial doubts, officials said his account checked out.

567248c61f0000dd00e9c033.jpe
AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
Alvarenga is pictured shortly after washing ashore in the Marshall Islands in 2014, following 438 days at sea.
His full story is detailed in Jonathan Franklin's book, "438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea." In an excerpt, published in The Guardian November, Franklin describes the horrific ordeal, including how Alvarenga was so hungry that he ate his own fingernails and that Córdoba had difficulty stomaching their challenging diet.

Córdoba died after a few months, according to Alvarenga. Before he did, he reportedly made Alvarenga promise two things -- that he would not eat his corpse and that he would find Cordoba’s mother and tell her what happened.

Alvarenga met with Córdoba's mother in May last year. About a month later, however, he was defending allegations that he cannibalized his companion.

In Alvarenga's account, Córdoba convulsed and died on the floor of the boat with his eyes open. Alvarenga said he continued talking to the corpse for six days, unable to cope with having lost his only companion.

When Alvarenga finally regained his composure, he said he performed as best a burial as he could manage:

First I washed his feet. His clothes were useful, so I stripped off a pair of shorts and a sweatshirt. I put that on -- it was red, with little skull-and-crossbones -- and then I dumped him in. And as I slid him into the water, I fainted.”

56725a6a1f0000dd00e9c036.jpe
ELIZABETH RUIZ VIA GETTY IMAGES
Roselia Diaz, mother of dead castaway Ezequiel Córdoba, shows her son's portrait.
Córdoba’s parents dispute Alvarenga's claims and allege that he ate their son to survive.

Ricardo Cucalón, the Salvadoran attorney who has represented Alvarenga since his return from the South Pacific, told El Diario de Hoy that Córdoba’s relatives cannot prove their allegations and that they are financially motivated.

"I believe the suit is a pressure tactic, trying to get him to pay part of the money that they’re all after [from the book deal], which isn’t as much as is talked about," Cucalón told the paper.

Alvaregna continues to strenuously deny the claims. "Not for one second did I think of eating Ezequiel," he told the Daily Mail. "I wouldn’t have done it, even if it meant that I starved. It would have been on my conscience forever."

So, your point is if they were Vegans, they wouldn't have been fishing in the first place? :rolleyes:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Easy Crock Pot Pork Chops

Our daughter-in-law shared this with us.
I used boneless chops; the recipe says bone in chops
Rub 4 chops with dry garlic and herb soup mix and put aside.( She uses a lemon & garlic grill seasoning)
Peel 6 cloves of garlic. Peel and slice a red onion.( A sweet white onion works well too.)
Peel and chop one pound each of potatoes and carrots (or parsnips).
Put all veggies in crock pot with 1 1/2 c. chicken broth. Lay the pork chops on top. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
Remove the chops and keep warm. Drain the veggies. Fry the onions til brown (she and I just left them in the potatoes). Separate out teh carrots and keep warm. Mash potatoes, garlic and onion using 1/2 c. of light cream or half and half and some of the broth. Add 2T butter, salt and pepper to taste. I just used the broth, no cream, to reduce the calories. They were very good--no leftovers!

Attachments

• IMG_5747.JPG
    IMG_5747.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_5755.JPG
    IMG_5755.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5756.JPG
    IMG_5756.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5757.JPG
    IMG_5757.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5759.JPG
    IMG_5759.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 238

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ranch and Bacon Chicken

this one is really simple and really good :

Picture 1 .... Pam the heck out of the pan and place the chicken breast (or whatever cut you like)

Picture 2 .... cover the chicken with thick layer of Ranch Dressing

Picture 3 .... cover the Ranch with cut bacon strips in half .... we used 3 of the half strips on each breast .... next time may secure with toothpicks to keep the bacon from sliding

Picture 4 .... cover with thick coat of shredded cheese

Picture 5 .... preheat oven to 400 and bake for at least 40 minutes

Picture 6 .... on the plate

most definitely will be fixed often
160113 001 Chicken 001.jpg
160113 002 cover with Ranch Dressing 001.jpg
160113 003 strip and a half of bacon 001.jpg
160113 004 cheese 001.jpg
160113 005 cooking 001.jpg
160113 006 on the plate 001.jpg

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well the meal above from the "chicken ranch", helps keep in prosepective the ever increased rate of diet related diseases, diabetes, heart disease, and as we all know- erectile disfunction!!
well, it's XI:XIX, time for a organic, free range, no GMO apple! night all

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well the meal above from the "chicken ranch", helps keep in prosepective the ever increased rate of diet related diseases, diabetes, heart disease, and as we all know- erectile disfunction!!
well, it's XI:XIX, time for a organic, free range, no GMO apple! night all

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my mouth watering. :D
Or maybe it was arteries hardening...they sound about the same.

Top Bottom