• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
iagree.gif

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it seems that canning veggies and such is a dying art .... the sections of canning supplies in our local grocery stores seems to grow smaller every year .... because we spend the summer away from home, we don't have much of a garden any more .... rather when we get back in the fall we go to the State Farmer's Market where we buy in bulk and then can or freeze it ....
With a global food market it's no longer a necessity. I freeze fruits and veggies when they are on sale. Last year when asparagus was $0.79 a pound I froze 20#s and I always have blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries in the freezer. Canning has gotten to expensive, If you don't already have the jars. I do remember the week we put up 98 quarts of dill pickles, 30 quarts of home made sauerkraut, 50 pints of beet pickles, 40 quarts of bread & butter pickles and only god knows how many quarts of tomatoes, pints of applesauce and jams and jellies that year. Veggies were all put up in the freezer that year because we ran out of room, in the cold storage room.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if means I won't live as long, those pictures are an accurate depiction of how I would "feel" without meat/butter in my diet. My Grandmother cooked with pure lard all of her life, and lived to be 96 (OMG, I wish you could have tasted her homemade half moon fried apple pies, and fried chicken). Life is to short my friends. Nothing wrong with trying to stay healthy, but if you have to live on sprouts and hay, whats the point?;)

Amen to that!

As for the canning, we're got a couple of friends that also have medium-size gardens and also can the excess. Our garden is a 'salsa garden', lots of tomatoes, peppers (several kinds), zucchini and cucumbers (pickles). Our friends do pretty much green beans, okra, beets and other veggies that they know we're not growing that year. Between us and the other couples there must be several hundred mason jars...some of them quite old (blue). They get passed around between us, so next canning season all we need to know is how many or what size lids to buy. All three of us (couples) have fish/turkey fryers which are perfect for sterilizing the jars and cooking the brine, and can all be done outside. And not that I need much of one, but it's an excellent excuse to drink a few (or more) beers with the buddies while we're at it!:) Planting the garden this weekend as a matter of fact....weather's going to be great out here, and the beer fridge (yes...there is a 'dedicated' beer fridge) is stocked.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it seems that canning veggies and such is a dying art .... the sections of canning supplies in our local grocery stores seems to grow smaller every year .... because we spend the summer away from home, we don't have much of a garden any more .... rather when we get back in the fall we go to the State Farmer's Market where we buy in bulk and then can or freeze it ....

We've also gone to the market around here for bulk veggies (Soulard Market). Great deals when you buy it by the bushel or case. I get a cases of Portobellos (HUGE..way bigger than you see in the stores) for cheap, and split it with our friends/family. Canning is a lot of work, and can get messy, but if you get some friends around and everyone knows what they should be doing, it goes fast and can be a lot of fun.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amen to that!

As for the canning, we're got a couple of friends that also have medium-size gardens and also can the excess. Our garden is a 'salsa garden', lots of tomatoes, peppers (several kinds), zucchini and cucumbers (pickles). Our friends do pretty much green beans, okra, beets and other veggies that they know we're not growing that year. Between us and the other couples there must be several hundred mason jars...some of them quite old (blue). They get passed around between us, so next canning season all we need to know is how many or what size lids to buy. All three of us (couples) have fish/turkey fryers which are perfect for sterilizing the jars and cooking the brine, and can all be done outside. And not that I need much of one, but it's an excellent excuse to drink a few (or more) beers with the buddies while we're at it!:) Planting the garden this weekend as a matter of fact....weather's going to be great out here, and the beer fridge (yes...there is a 'dedicated' beer fridge) is stocked.
You should probably put the blue mason jars up and get some new clear ones. The blues have quite a bit of value in this part of the country. Nothing beats fresh vegetables, but you need the property to plant a garden. I live in a subdivision and it's just not possible. Plus, with a "dedicated beer fridge", i wouldn't get anything done anyway. LOL.:)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You should probably put the blue mason jars up and get some new clear ones. The blues have quite a bit of value in this part of the country. Nothing beats fresh vegetables, but you need the property to plant a garden. I live in a subdivision and it's just not possible. Plus, with a "dedicated beer fridge", i wouldn't get anything done anyway. LOL.:)

Probably right on putting the blue Mason's up. The wife and her friends are avid garage sale hunters, which is where she got most of the jars we have now...Can't remember ever buying any from the store, just replacement lids. Seems like every year more and more people are tired of messing with canning. But it's really not such an ordeal if you're organized.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
my wife has a couple of the old blue Mason jars that have a wire rim to hold the lid in place .... they were passed down through the family but so many were produced, I doubt they will ever be worth more than a few dollars

Top Bottom