• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

For Those Who Think Ev Information Is Appropriate For An Elio Forum...

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW! Where the heck in Ohio do you live? I just brought my bill up.
I'm 40 miles above Pittsburgh and I'm paying 14 and a quarter cents per KWh.
And that's everything. Line cost, delivery, Monthly customer service fee, yada yada.
He was quoting from the article which used the US average price per KwH.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So... yeah. All you really need to read from that article is this: "At the time of submitting this article for publication, the author was short TSLA..."

As for the electricity costs, the author is not quoting actual electricity rates. He is quoting the costs for charging at a Tesla supercharger, not actual electricity costs. It also quotes the higher price for the higher capacity superchargers, in states where multiple capacity chargers are available. His analysis is made against ultra-high mileage hybrid vehicles. And this completely ignores the reality that most EV owners charge at home, where the electricy rates are much lower and convenient. My Bolt is fully charged, every morning, and I have never had to wait for it to charge.

Anyway, this guy is a serial hit-piece writer. Just read his disclaimer, then close your browser tab.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another consideration is that there is no such thing as a 100% efficient charger. The amount energy you pay for will be more than the energy that makes it into the battery. Do a google search for battery charger efficiencies.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another consideration is that there is no such thing as a 100% efficient charger. The amount energy you pay for will be more than the energy that makes it into the battery. Do a google search for battery charger efficiencies.

It's only around a 10% loss, on average. It makes a difference, but not a material difference in the comparison to petrol costs.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I mean, if you really wanted to do a cheesy comparison: Tesla costs $50,000, Toyota Yaris costs $16,000. If electricity was free and you just wanted to get from point A to point B as cheaply as possible, the Yaris basically comes with $34,000 of free maintenance/fuel. Now, at one oil change every 5,000 miles at $50, you can go....
500,000 / 30 miles per gallon = 9,666 gallons of gas @ $3.00/gal = $28,998 in fuel + $5,000 in oil changes + $16,000 car cost = $49,998.

At the average number of miles a person drive per year (15,000), you could drive the Yaris for 33 years before spending the same money you did to drive the Tesla one single mile.

... But, it's not nearly as cool.

I don't have a lot else to calculate right now...
It's not an average electricity cost. He is quoting the average rate for charging your vehicle at a Tesla Supercharger. This rate is significantly higher than the cost of electricity.
Correct. I misspoke but that's what I meant.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lets talk electrical safety. The NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), with its NFPA-70 NEC (National Electric Code) and the NFPA-70E (Electrical Safety in the Workplace), have determined that anything over 50 volts, AC or DC, is potentially dangerous and personal protection is required to work on it if "live". I have been seeing where electric vehicles can easily be in the 300 to 700 volt range. They use electrical devices on the vehicle to make the voltage higher for the motors to use. While some of the chargers for home are 115vac supply, the more powerful ones will require 220vac supplies. Licensed electricians can install the chargers with no problems. Permits may be required. A separate meter may be required in the future so that you can pay a "road usage tax"). Work on the vehicles drive system will require many automotive technicians for electric vehicles to take electrical safety training courses on a regular basis. As the power requirements go up, the risk of fire also goes up. Expect home owners insurance to also be higher if you own a electric vehicle. Some new battery chemistries might significantly reduce this risk, but they are not yet available. Just to be clear, gasoline is also dangerous, but you can see and smell gas, you can't see or smell electricity, only the fire that it can produce. Before buying into the new technologies, ask about safety. Can you work on it yourself or must you be trained on the dangers?

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lets talk electrical safety. The NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), with its NFPA-70 NEC (National Electric Code) and the NFPA-70E (Electrical Safety in the Workplace), have determined that anything over 50 volts, AC or DC, is potentially dangerous and personal protection is required to work on it if "live". I have been seeing where electric vehicles can easily be in the 300 to 700 volt range. They use electrical devices on the vehicle to make the voltage higher for the motors to use. While some of the chargers for home are 115vac supply, the more powerful ones will require 220vac supplies. Licensed electricians can install the chargers with no problems. Permits may be required. A separate meter may be required in the future so that you can pay a "road usage tax"). Work on the vehicles drive system will require many automotive technicians for electric vehicles to take electrical safety training courses on a regular basis. As the power requirements go up, the risk of fire also goes up. Expect home owners insurance to also be higher if you own a electric vehicle. Some new battery chemistries might significantly reduce this risk, but they are not yet available. Just to be clear, gasoline is also dangerous, but you can see and smell gas, you can't see or smell electricity, only the fire that it can produce. Before buying into the new technologies, ask about safety. Can you work on it yourself or must you be trained on the dangers?

People have been building and modifying EVs for a LONG time. Of course, like anything you need special knowledge to work on them safely, that doesn't mean they're inherently more dangerous.

My home A/C unit pulls as much Amperage, at the same voltage, as my Model X, if I set it to charge at its maximum rate, which is 40A/240v.

Most BEVs have onboard chargers, I did have an electrician put in NEMA 14-50 outlets, but I could have done that myself.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The electrical thing is something to think about. Take for instance the house I live in now compared to my only one. My old one had natural gas and electric. So the furnace, stove, oven, dryer and water heater ran off of natural gas. As we all know natural gas is perfectly safe and nothing can ever go wrong there. As for the house I live in now, it's a death trap because it's all electric. So, it has a massive breaker box with 50 -60 amp 220V for the water heater, drier, heat strips in the furnace, oven and stove. To top it off, I hooked up a 60 amp circuit for EV charging on a vehicle that exemplifies literally an accident waiting to happen (an EV with a gas powered extender). I even put in a heated floor in both bathrooms, so that has to be about as electrified I can get.

At this point, I'm just waiting for my whole neighborhood to burn to the ground because everyone is all electric. I did ask about running natural gas to my house and 20 years ago it was only $23K to run a line 500 ft from the main road. Maybe I should have done that because of all of the safety of natural gas.

On a side note, they had to tear up my yard because the neighbors house lost the neutral line and all of our lines are buried in our neighborhood. So, I'm wondering if I'll be electrocuted in my front yard if one of the live wires break. As I noticed none of the lines are in conduit but the new one they ran had to be. At least I will know that when I do get electrocuted, it won't be because of the lines run to my neighbors house, but just my own.

I won't even get into almost getting run over a few times while I'm mowing my grass as people speed up and down the street and have missed me a few times by an inch or two. In the end, it's a gas powered mower and most drive gas powered cars.

Life is so dangerous when you really think about it.

Top Bottom