• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

For Those Who Think Ev Information Is Appropriate For An Elio Forum...

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting article on future oil production. Electric vehicles will not lower the demand for oil enough to matter for an estimated 25 years.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3336810-global-oil-sector-needs-20t-investments-saudi-aramco-ceo-says

Global oil sector needs $20T in investments, Saudi Aramco CEO says
Mar. 6, 2018 11:14 AM ET|By: Carl Surran, SA News Editor
The global oil and gas industry will need to invest at least $20T over the next 25 years to meet expected growth in demand and compensate for the natural decline in developed fields, Saudi Aramco CEO Amin Nasser tells the CERAWeek conference.

The necessary future investments will come only if investors are convinced "that oil is here for the foreseeable future... that is why we must push back on the idea that the world can do without proven and reliable sources," Nasser says.

“Even conservative estimates” suggest the need for ~20M barrels of new capacity in the next five years to meet demand, regardless of the growth of electric vehicles, Nasser also says.

He briefly mentioned plans for Saudi Aramco to go public, saying that the IPO plan is “proceeding very well,” but that the Saudi government ultimately would have to decide when and where it will be listed.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oil industry has no worry. No batteries today are good enough or cheap enough for a touring car. I know, just anytime we will see a break thru in technology for batteries (hearing this for the last few years) Technology is moving much faster in recovering oil we could not even detect a few years ago.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a few years ago, an EV was some quirky car that was built in a garage and could go 50 miles max with a recharge of 20 hours. Technology is moving pretty fast with EV's but it's hard to realize it when you are living through the wave. It's just like when we thought that a 56K modem was all that she wrote on bandwidth and it seemed like there was just no way to make it any faster unless you wanted to spend a fortune on T1 lines. I remember 20 years ago I worked with a company that had four T1 lines so they could video conference with their headquarters in Paris and it was marginal. Two years ago I facetimed a friend of mine in Colorado while I was doing a glacier hike in Iceland. EV technology marches on but from year to year it doesn't seem like it.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a few years ago, an EV was some quirky car that was built in a garage and could go 50 miles max with a recharge of 20 hours. Technology is moving pretty fast with EV's but it's hard to realize it when you are living through the wave. It's just like when we thought that a 56K modem was all that she wrote on bandwidth and it seemed like there was just no way to make it any faster unless you wanted to spend a fortune on T1 lines. I remember 20 years ago I worked with a company that had four T1 lines so they could video conference with their headquarters in Paris and it was marginal. Two years ago I facetimed a friend of mine in Colorado while I was doing a glacier hike in Iceland. EV technology marches on but from year to year it doesn't seem like it.
The frog never notices the slowly increasing temperature of the pot of water he's in. Much to his demise.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good article about comparing gas vs electric costs. Yes it is biased, but still has valid considerations.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4160351-tesla-model-3-costs-charge-gasoline-car

Here is some of it:

The Tesla Model 3 is rated at 26 kWh per 100 miles according to the U.S. Department of Energy: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

In other words, almost four miles per kWh. It’s close enough that we can round it up to four miles, just to give Tesla some margin in its favor. That squares with the general rule of thumb in the EV world: A smaller energy-efficient EV will yield around 4 miles per kWh, whereas a larger EV will yield around 3 miles per kWh.

That means that at $0.24 per kWh, the Tesla Model 3 costs $0.06 per mile to drive.

How does that compare to the gasoline cars? At 50 MPG and today’s nationwide average gasoline price of $2.65, that’s $0.05 per mile. In other words, it’s cheaper to drive the gasoline car than the Tesla Model 3.

The break-even point is easy to identify, too: At $0.06 per mile -- Tesla Model 3 -- the breakeven point for the 50 MPG car is $3.00 per gallon. Clearly, not too far from today’s $2.65 nationwide average, but as you can see, it’s relatively close.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good article about comparing gas vs electric costs. Yes it is biased, but still has valid considerations.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4160351-tesla-model-3-costs-charge-gasoline-car

Here is some of it:

The Tesla Model 3 is rated at 26 kWh per 100 miles according to the U.S. Department of Energy: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

In other words, almost four miles per kWh. It’s close enough that we can round it up to four miles, just to give Tesla some margin in its favor. That squares with the general rule of thumb in the EV world: A smaller energy-efficient EV will yield around 4 miles per kWh, whereas a larger EV will yield around 3 miles per kWh.

That means that at $0.24 per kWh, the Tesla Model 3 costs $0.06 per mile to drive.

How does that compare to the gasoline cars? At 50 MPG and today’s nationwide average gasoline price of $2.65, that’s $0.05 per mile. In other words, it’s cheaper to drive the gasoline car than the Tesla Model 3.

The break-even point is easy to identify, too: At $0.06 per mile -- Tesla Model 3 -- the breakeven point for the 50 MPG car is $3.00 per gallon. Clearly, not too far from today’s $2.65 nationwide average, but as you can see, it’s relatively close.
WOW! Where the heck in Ohio do you live? I just brought my bill up.
I'm 40 miles above Pittsburgh and I'm paying 14 and a quarter cents per KWh.
And that's everything. Line cost, delivery, Monthly customer service fee, yada yada.

Top Bottom