• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Front License Plates (if Required)

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate front license plates. Spoils the whole front end. I routinely removed them from my Miata's (and was warned by police once about it). I frankly don't understand the logic behind the front license plate requirement. When was the last time the cops had a high speed pursuit of someone going backward? Interestingly the after market suppliers were ingenious in developing a fold away license bracket for the Miata's. At speed the license plate folded back under the lip of the opening. When stopped it sprang back up into place. I would suspect to see something like this for the Elio if there was much demand for it.

I agree they ruin the design of cars. My previous Mustang had a Cobra conversion I never put my front plate on because it makes it look horrible. I would put in on the dash. Cops would pull me over ever so often they usually wouldn't give me a ticket because i did have the plate it just wasn't where they wanted it. Some were dicks and gave me a ticket anyways. If they require the front plate on the Elio I will be doing the same. The aero is important on the Elio a rectangle on the front will disrupt it and the Elio looks.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As someone who lives in a state that requires 2 license plates (Missouri) I hope they have something permanent in front.
Hi and welcome from Oregon, DougK. Do they require 2 plates on a motorcycle? If they don't then you probably don't have to worry about it. The Elio is techically, according to Federal Law, a motorcycle because it has less than 4 wheels. Therefore, the vin will be a mc vin. Congratulations on your Spot in Line or Reservation #. I don't know about you, but my number feels so good. I hope you enjoy this diverse and interesting group as we wander the exciting trail to Elio ownership. :-) Z

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As someone who lives in a state that requires 2 license plates (Missouri) I hope they have something permanent in front.
DougK, welcome to the forum, source of information about the development and production of the Elio. I hope you will take some time to review the various forum threads that most appeal to you. You will learn so much about the progress and decision processes of this unique vehicle. Be careful because the forum can become very addictive. Forum members are (generally) friendly and helpful and we look forward to your questions, comments, and opinions. Enjoy both the experience and the journey toward Elio ownership.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my state, Washington, motor vehicles require two plates, however, if the vehicle is over 25 years old you can buy 'collector vehicle' plates. They only sell you one (for the rear) and you never have to renew them, They are forever. My '56 Chevy, my '66 Sunbeam Tiger, and my '56 VW dune buggy all carry them. The law states they can only be driven to or from a mechanic, to or from a car show, or for a 'pleasure cruise'. Guess what? Every time I take one out it's a Pleasure Cruise!

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Never seen a Motorcycle with one in front yet. And I have been riding a long time. ELIO is still a Motorcycle until the laws get changed.

smitty don't you remember years ago they had them on the front fenders? and for years in that same location the state police use it for there sign. when i was a kid a friend of my dad's would drive over on his harley and he had the plate number on the front fender. i think it was a carry over from the war years. it died away over the years.

Top Bottom