• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Guns And Stuff Related.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS fighter

A Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS fighter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.

Shooting experts say the fatal shot at a world-record distance of 11,316 feet underscores how stunningly sophisticated military snipers are becoming. The feat, pulled off by a special forces sniper from Canada’s Joint Task Force 2, smashed the previous distance record for successful sniper shots by some 3,280 feet, a record set by a British sniper."

taken from this link http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/2...ecord-with-2-1-mile-pickoff-isis-fighter.html where additional really good info is available

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
there is a great deal of info in the link given that I find to be amazing .... not the least of which is shown below in bold print :

"The spotter would have had to successfully calculate five factors: distance, wind, atmospheric conditions and the speed of the earth’s rotation at their latitude,”

I mean seriously, the speed of the earth's rotation .. [Broken External Image] .. I must be way out of touch because I've never heard of such a thing :confused:

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
there is a great deal of info in the link given that I find to be amazing .... not the least of which is shown below in bold print :

"The spotter would have had to successfully calculate five factors: distance, wind, atmospheric conditions and the speed of the earth’s rotation at their latitude,”

I mean seriously, the speed of the earth's rotation .. [Broken External Image] .. I must be way out of touch because I've never heard of such a thing :confused:

Yes it is a thing and is significant at much closer ranges than this. The earth is rotating West to East at a constant velocity. The bullet is rotating with it until it is fired. Then the bullet starts dropping, getting blown about by whatever winds are present and slowing down with respect to the rotation of the earth. By the time it has traveled to the target the error induced can be significant. Of course, if you are trying to snipe a moving person you have other considerations. Even if the bullet maintained its muzzle velocity all the way to the target the time of flight would be over four seconds. A person walking briskly (6mph) moves almost 9 feet a second so we are talking about aiming around 40 feet ahead of a person walking perpendicular to the path of the bullet. In the real world where bullets lose velocity you would hit quite far behind him. I think we are talking about the "golden BB" here. If you shoot enough you will make hits that you could not duplicate if you attempted the same shot a thousand times.

gottemfeathers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom