• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How This Radical Car Missed Its Chance To Change The World - Maybe!

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget about the chassis mistake. I forgot about this until I read a comment on that video. So I had to go back and look it up. From 2009 to early 2016 it was to be a tube frame and non steel body panels. It never made sense to me and I asked them at two shows about this as they had a steel stamping operation in Shreveport. Nobody makes a tube frame car with a composite body on it, thinking they could crank out a maximum of 250K for $7450 each. In addition to the engine, the chassis was something that just drained their resources as if you read in the SEC filings. The engineering budget went way up in 2016 and the only major change was the chassis. This was 2 years before the engine announcement.

I still don't believe that even if they had chosen an OEM motor that they ever could have made that car with those panels and a tube frame for that cost. I could see a $20K Elio and making 10K per year but there's no way they could have pulled it off with even 125K cars per year. That panel material works for a Corvette because there's a ton of profit in that car. As for tube frame, that's way too many parts, welding and the equipment to pull that off costs a fortune. That's why everyone uses unibody. It's cheap and we have tons of experience of making it work.

I think that since 2016 was so long ago, most forgot about the chassis change.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned that I sent Elio Motors this video and here is the correspondence.

Your request (138405) has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email.
Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Jan 2, 19:26 EST

Thanks for passing it along Travelbuzz1!

Best,
The Elio Team

December 29, 2018, 13:12 EST

This is a follow-up to your previous request #138065

"To Whom it may concern:"

You should be working with these people and producing videos…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=M6ZktVnGGFI

Regards,
Travelbuzz1

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This video is made by "Two Bit da Vinci" on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEgYhf84VjXDz-W7a9-rdCQ

Their home page lists all their videos and how many views they have had and how long the videos have been out.
A quick look shows this video is being viewed very much.
Its rate of viewing is 90,000 in one week. This would equate to 4,680,000 in one year.
They appear to have a following.
This may explain EM statement they have had a sizable number of people enquiring about the Elio.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This video is made by "Two Bit da Vinci" on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEgYhf84VjXDz-W7a9-rdCQ

Their home page lists all their videos and how many views they have had and how long the videos have been out.
A quick look shows this video is being viewed very much.
Its rate of viewing is 90,000 in one week. This would equate to 4,680,000 in one year.
They appear to have a following.
This may explain EM statement they have had a sizable number of people enquiring about the Elio.
Current views on, How this Radical Car Missed its Chance to Change the World - 90,504 - "Two Bit da Vinci" on YouTube.
Ever since I found this video on YouTube I have been watching the viewership rise and I will put that number up on this site. I will be traveling beginning January 8th, I will try and remember to list the amount of people who are watching the video. Perhaps you would like to do the same, because I will not be near any internet service on a regular basis with my current travels with no end date.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Current views on, How this Radical Car Missed its Chance to Change the World - 90,504 - "Two Bit da Vinci" on YouTube.
Ever since I found this video on YouTube I have been watching the viewership rise and I will put that number up on this site. I will be traveling beginning January 8th, I will try and remember to list the amount of people who are watching the video. Perhaps you would like to do the same, because I will not be near any internet service on a regular basis with my current travels with no end date.
Though this is well done, videos like this tend to reach a peak number of viewings and then fade from interest rather quickly after a month or so. So... Let's post the link to this on our Facebook public page and share/post to every related group/site that we know of. Just make sure to include a line about the video being wrong about the helmet and endorsement requirements and about the 55HP engine. Here's the link to the current helmet and endorsement map. https://www.eliomotors.com/a-legislative-update/ We've never seemed to have much influence on things that affect the progress of the project, but this might help.

Here's the text I'm including in the public FB post on my timeline: You're welcome to copy and paste.
Just be prepared to be flamed. But hey, we're big kids and can take it, right?

Please share this video on your social media to draw attention to this potentially ultra high mpg vehicle. A note: The video got three things wrong. There is only ONE state in which anyone has to wear a helmet to drive or ride in one of these. That is Maine where a helmet is required for persons under 17 years old. There is legislation pending in Maine to correct this. And there are only THREE states that still require a MC or Trike endorsement to drive one. Those are: New York, Maine and Alaska. The Elio is now slated to have a 100HP engine with a projected fuel economy of 49mpg city and 84mpg highway instead of the 55HP engine the video mentioned. I know that gas prices are at record lows as the new year opens, but they never stay that way. The vehicle will feature a/c, cruise, stability control, anti-lock brakes, uni-body construction, air bags and a crumple zone. This is meant to be a small footprint and small operating cost "and" vehicle. The purchase price of this vehicle is projected to be just $7450. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=M6ZktVnGGFI

Last edited:

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Though this is well done, videos like this tend to reach a peak number of viewings and then fade from interest rather quickly after a month or so. So... Let's post the link to this on our Facebook public page and share/post to every related group/site that we know of. Just make sure to include a line about the video being wrong about the helmet and endorsement requirements and about the 55HP engine. Here's the link to the current helmet and endorsement map. https://www.eliomotors.com/a-legislative-update/ We've never seemed to have much influence on things that affect the progress of the project, but this might help.

Here's the text I'm including in the public FB post on my timeline: You're welcome to copy and paste.
Just be prepared to be flamed. But hey, we're big kids and can take it, right?

Please share this video on your social media to draw attention to this potentially ultra high mpg vehicle. A note: The video got three things wrong. There is only ONE state in which anyone has to wear a helmet to drive or ride in one of these. That is Maine where a helmet is required for persons under 17 years old. There is legislation pending in Maine to correct this. And there are only THREE states that still require a MC or Trike endorsement to drive one. Those are: New York, Maine and Alaska. The Elio is now slated to have a 100HP engine with a projected fuel economy of 49mpg city and 84mpg highway instead of the 55HP engine the video mentioned. I know that gas prices are at record lows as the new year opens, but they never stay that way. The vehicle will feature a/c, cruise, stability control, anti-lock brakes, uni-body construction, air bags and a crumple zone. This is meant to be a small footprint and small operating cost "and" vehicle. The purchase price of this vehicle is projected to be just $7450. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=M6ZktVnGGFI
I will look into this and make corrections as needed, the video explains that Elio is working on changing the laws in the states but they do not go into detail. The video is quoted as stating that Elio is working with Roush and abandoning the 55 HP engine. But we really don't exactly know the HP from Elio other than speculate the new engine and who the manufacture may be. With a Target Price of $7450.
Current views on, How this Radical Car Missed its Chance to Change the World - over 92,755 since December 24th, 2018 - "Two Bit da Vinci" on YouTube.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also, how about a warning note indicating that there is no real advantage to placing a non-refundable all-in reservation with no guarantee of delivery at this point in EM’s fund raising efforts and production timeline, unless you are a high risk gambler? Possibly a refundable deposit, but with Elio’s production scale plan all reservations will likely roll out in the first year of production with available test drive and Elio ordering opportunities at an Elio Store near you. Just a thought that seems responsible from long time reservationists with our knowledge of EM’s history.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also, how about a warning note indicating that there is no real advantage to placing a non-refundable all-in reservation with no guarantee of delivery at this point in EM’s fund raising efforts and production timeline, unless you are a high risk gambler? Possibly a refundable deposit, but with Elio’s production scale plan all reservations will likely roll out in the first year of production with available test drive and Elio ordering opportunities at an Elio Store near you. Just a thought that seems responsible from long time reservationists with our knowledge of EM’s history.
The video already explains that it has been 10 years, and they can judge it for themselves with over 65 K reservations along with googling information before they place a deposit.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The video already explains that it has been 10 years, and they can judge it for themselves with over 65 K reservations along with googling information before they place a deposit.
Oh right, people think rationally and have good judgement, rather than just getting hyped and “I want one now” excited about the Elio they can’t even test drive from a marketing video. LOL!

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also, let them know in the corrections that Elio will start production at at unknown date which will be full funding plus 76 weeks. So for today, that's June 20, 2020 and that they will spend the first year fulfilling the 65K reservations. That means for new reservations, it'll be June 20, 2021 before they will get one. In essence, 2.5 years from today.

Top Bottom