• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Can Live With The P4 Front..but

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's fine, I just don't want you or anyone else to expect you'll be getting the automatic transmission option at the base price.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I will not assume anything about tranny cost but can offer that when pricing my Sentra in 08 the cost was same with CVT or manual tranny.. Thinking tranny cost will dictate vehicle cost especially when the profit margin is around 20%.. I do expect Elio to make a profit and feel they are not greedy.. If the automatic transmission could be bought for the same price as manual I feel Elio would keep the priceline the same..

Ray

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will not assume anything about tranny cost but can offer that when pricing my Sentra in 08 the cost was same with CVT or manual tranny.. Thinking tranny cost will dictate vehicle cost especially when the profit margin is around 20%.. I do expect Elio to make a profit and feel they are not greedy.. If the automatic transmission could be bought for the same price as manual I feel Elio would keep the priceline the same..

Ray
I agree,,Nobody can be expected to work or produce and sell a product without making a profit..A cvt tranny is cheaper to make than a stick shift, I recently rented a Nissan that was equipped with one , smooth, no shift jerk but (( From What I Have Read)) not long lasting before expensive service will be needed.. I would like to see a regular automatic having the same take off zip as a stick and just small reduction in fuel consumption, oh and at a reasonable upgrade price..For now I'm thinking the stick shift is fine and probably the safest bet to go with in Elio's first few years..I just went all in on a 2ond Elio, I plan on Keeping one as a collecter the other I will beat to death just to see how well it hold up.. When I am able to get a 3rd I'll treat it nice and drive for fun, hopefully number 3 will be an automatic..

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just another source...while at BikeWeek I talked to Pam about the automatic transmission. She said it would "probably be" an AMT, and be in the $300-$500 range.
I hate sources that are hearsay, but this hearsay is just given to support what has been stated from different sites.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree,,Nobody can be expected to work or produce and sell a product without making a profit..A cvt tranny is cheaper to make than a stick shift, I recently rented a Nissan that was equipped with one , smooth, no shift jerk but (( From What I Have Read)) not long lasting before expensive service will be needed.. I would like to see a regular automatic having the same take off zip as a stick and just small reduction in fuel consumption, oh and at a reasonable upgrade price..For now I'm thinking the stick shift is fine and probably the safest bet to go with in Elio's first few years..I just went all in on a 2ond Elio, I plan on Keeping one as a collecter the other I will beat to death just to see how well it hold up.. When I am able to get a 3rd I'll treat it nice and drive for fun, hopefully number 3 will be an automatic..
So far I have driven 125K miles with the CVT.. No recommended maintenance required at all... The tranny oil doesn't have a change interval but you can only get this special oil from Nissan.. I have heard the CVT's can be expensive to repair though.. Nissan extended the warranty to 120K miles which has now run out..

Ray

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nissan CVT transmissions are fairly complex and not cheap to produce.. Think the manual tranny is much cheaper to produce than CVT or am I wrong?
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/cvt.html

Ray

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just another source...while at BikeWeek I talked to Pam about the automatic transmission. She said it would "probably be" an AMT, and be in the $300-$500 range.
I hate sources that are hearsay, but this hearsay is just given to support what has been stated from different sites.
3 to 5 hundred would be a very reasonable price for an Auto upgrade..I hope they will have fuel and performance chart plus 3rd party drive reports at production time..

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nissan CVT transmissions are fairly complex and not cheap to produce.. Think the manual tranny is much cheaper to produce than CVT or am I wrong?

Ray
Ray, I know atv's use them also lawn tractors..My experience has been when they go bad there has been no repair option, only replace and costly .. Now, I'm not saying cvt's in automobiles are the same ,, I just don't know much about them other than what I have read..I did enjoy drinking my morning coffee while driving the rental..

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ray
After looking and reading post from Sandi, the p4 front fenders are growing on me..the head -lighs seem better also..now if i can just convince myself to like the squared off rear..I have decided that with the limited budget Elio is operating with these changes must be necessary for some good reason..

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everything else on those pages of the website (Why Elio/Specs) are standard inclusions. The word available is not mentioned in that Transmission Mission statement or any of the other Spec statements.
In Elio Motors personalization element you find this:
"And make sure you check out the walls surrounding the showroom. They are going to be covered with available options for your new Elio. These will include cruise control, a stereo upgrade, navigation system a blue-tooth steering wheel and leather seating."
Automatic Transmission is nowhere to be found. Now having said that, I can, in view of your and others comments, see your position, and will retract my original comment.

Top Bottom