• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Finally Saw It! My Takeaway And Concerns

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was told this summer, at the dream cruise in Michigan, that the 3rd quarter schedule was going to be close to impossible because of the engine. I didn't want to believe it and choice not too. But, here is the same story posted back in February. Talk about transparency ! They've let us know all along. I am proud of the Elio team. Close to impossible is not the same as impossible ... only close, lol.
Looks like close enough counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and elio start date LOL.... I am expecting a start date in early 2016. Developing a new vehicle, expecially a revolutionary style is compex with so many moving parts, I am glad they are taking their time and making a quality product. Elio take the time you need to work the bugs out, I can wait as long as I have coffee and my comrades on this site.....
For now, I am still calling 2015 the Year of the Elio...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw the Elio this past weekend in Richmond. I drove almost 4 hours each way with my dad to see it. We arrived about 4pm and there was a small line. I talked with several representatives as well as Jerome Vassallo

1. According to Jerome, the interior color-matched panels will be standard.

2. The dyno testing for the engine takes up to 6 months. When the engine is done, they will build the prototypes for crash testing and press releases.

3. I (6') and my dad (6'5") both fit in the car at the same time (me in backseat, him in driver's seat). Slightly cramped but it would work.

4. The interior panels were made of plastic, similar to the plastic that fisher price uses on it's outdoor toys. I am fine with this, as they are cheap and easy to clean.

5. The trunk is very small, big enough for only a backpack or small bag. I expect to use the rear seat a lot.

6. The final version will have the roof raised 2" to help with head room.

7. The final version will have a softer rear seat.

8. I had tons of forward visibility due to the long windows on my sides. A narrow windshield is no problem.

9. The paint had several cracks which somewhat concerned me. I chalked this up to being a prototype and being handled a lot.

10. All the optional body effects and skirts are a la carte, but no prices yet for options.

11. The Elgin dash is fantastic. The numbers are fine to read and very crisp. Jerome spun the gauges using a battery and they looked great.

12. There is tons of hip and leg room in the drivers seat.

13. I was worried about people not seeing the outrigger wheels, such as when pulling into a parking space next to you. Lights or reflector tape may remedy this.

Overall, I loved the car. It is very utilitarian but is comfortable and offers a big value. Mods feel free to move this if this isn't the place for it
You described the back seat as "Slightly cramped but it would work." I would like to remind people that the early hoity toity Porsche 911 and 912 back seats (I have a 1968 912) are so small that only a child can sit back there and a small child at that. It is so small I can not even get my butt down into the seat and I don't want to hear any wise-ass remarks either.

So if the Elio back seat is "Slightly cramped but it would work", it is doing much better than Porsche.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You described the back seat as "Slightly cramped but it would work." I would like to remind people that the early hoity toity Porsche 911 and 912 back seats (I have a 1968 912) are so small that only a child can sit back there and a small child at that. It is so small I can not even get my butt down into the seat and I don't want to hear any wise-ass remarks either.

So if the Elio back seat is "Slightly cramped but it would work", it is doing much better than Porsche.

Good point. The Lexus Sport coupe was also very cramped. I had heard that they (Lexus) designed it with back seat, to lower insurance premiums.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score

But I'm buying a practical commuter car, not a Porsche, so back seat room is very important

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like close enough counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and elio start date LOL.... I am expecting a start date in early 2016. Developing a new vehicle, expecially a revolutionary style is compex with so many moving parts, I am glad they are taking their time and making a quality product. Elio take the time you need to work the bugs out, I can wait as long as I have coffee and my comrades on this site.....
For now, I am still calling 2015 the Year of the Elio...
Close also counts in dancing and A-bombs
What's a back seat Toyota MR2 Spyder!

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom