• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Remember This Forum ...

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Blast! was the model H-D forced Buell to build and then sell with an MSRP hundreds below production cost so they (H-D) could claim that Buell was unprofitable. I find it difficult to believe that any Blast! had issues with creeping considering the high torque of the 500cc single and the vastly oversized wet clutch specifically designed with an absolutely enormous slip zone to accommodate novice/unskilled riders.
A friend of mine owns one and with less than $400 in parts, I substantially enhanced its performance and it gets over 70mpg in daily riding and over 80mpg on the highway - it creeps as slowly as anyone could want as well. If you wish, I will send you the part numbers and procedure. Further, I will provide the full maintenance procedure that will fix any issues with any speed of creeping. Most likely, lazy and/or incompetent service personal have never changed the transmission oil, properly adjusted the clutch or adjusted the primary chain - you can be a Big Hero!
If you're offering, I'm on board! Thanks bro!!

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like kickstarting a bike but I really appreciate electric start when I stall on a hill with traffic or a railroad crossing all around me. Getting launched by a 500 cc thumper is one thing; trying to kick modern bikes where 800 cc seems small is just getting a bit out of control.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like kickstarting a bike but I really appreciate electric start when I stall on a hill with traffic or a railroad crossing all around me. Getting launched by a 500 cc thumper is one thing; trying to kick modern bikes where 800 cc seems small is just getting a bit out of control.
I can't say I'm wild about modern bikes either. This is one of the completely stock, unedited, just as it came from the factory Henderson's they have at the Owls Head Transportation Museum here in Maine that they bring out at the annual antique motorcycle show every September. You wouldn't want to wind this old bird up and give er the corn going down the road? You know you could learn to like shin splints from this. Come on.... :D
10639599_309904335837949_5617484497237829913_n.jpg

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm "usually" here everyday....not posting all the time, but keeping an "ear to the ground" to see what's happening.

As I've said MANY times before, the NAYsayers "seem" to be the ones who are worried about "losing" their $$$$$ !

Hell, what part of NON REFUNDABLE did you NOT understand ????? :mad:

Many of us don't care about the $1000 we are worried about losing the ELIO. That at this point is at best a 50/50 chance.
Still hoping that ELIO #8019 is built someday.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may be fun to dream of older rides. Yes many if them were cool. But as someone that has ridden for 46 years +. Hind sight is blurred. It was not to long ago you did not get on your ride and go on a 5000 mile trip with out issues. Tires ,chains brakes non of that stuff held up. With todays rides a 5000 mile ride is nothing. I will be heading out in the next few days on a trip of 4000-5000 miles. The only tool kit I will take with me is a simple folding muilt purpose tool. No tire repair kits any more. No stopping to wrench on the darn thing just ride.
HD belt drive I have never had one fail had 80K on one belt . Current bike has 5000 mile oil changes will change it the day before I leave and never worry about it until I get back. 20K on transmission and 10K on primary. No change to 60W for hot riding and lower for cold simple 20/50 and ride. Not uncommon on good rides to go from the 20's to 100 and every where in between for temps.
No changing or clean spark plugs, change them every 15K just because never carry a plug wrench any more ,once you never left home with out one.
No adjust carbs for high and low altitudes, yes I remember changing jets while on a trip. No changing brake pads on the side of the road.
Todays rides are better machines. Old school was not as much fun as some remember if you really rode the darn things. I measure my riding year August to August on track for another 60K year.
1945 Knuckle head maybe cool and fun to die in the parade but on a good trip.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been off here for a while since Christmas. Between finishing school, starting a new job and moving soon my time is pretty booked.

I'm a little bit disappointed that I've been waiting 15 months since reserving and joining this forum, and still no car. It was exciting seeing it in December though. I needed a new car now so I went out and bought one- I was hoping and planned that this would be the Elio though there were no guarantees. I'm happy with my new car and will hold onto my reservation but I will admit I've been ignoring the weekly emails form Elio. Great that they are at the auto shows and whatnot but still no update on the car itself or funding. Seems to be rehashing the same information now every week.

I don't blame people at all for being negative.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been off here for a while since Christmas. Between finishing school, starting a new job and moving soon my time is pretty booked.

I'm a little bit disappointed that I've been waiting 15 months since reserving and joining this forum, and still no car. It was exciting seeing it in December though. I needed a new car now so I went out and bought one- I was hoping and planned that this would be the Elio though there were no guarantees. I'm happy with my new car and will hold onto my reservation but I will admit I've been ignoring the weekly emails form Elio. Great that they are at the auto shows and whatnot but still no update on the car itself or funding. Seems to be rehashing the same information now every week.

I don't blame people at all for being negative.
Welcome back JP. You are correct. You haven't missed much, but we missed you and your input.

Top Bottom