• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Took Delivery Of My New Elio Today !

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of my customers has an employee that bought a used BMW i3 REX (the one with the BMW motorcycle engine in it). He drives to work, then plugs it in a 110V outlet on the corner of the building. After an 8 hour work day, it's back to fully charged. Then he goes home. The engine never started up for over a year and he had to run it down just to burn through the 2 gallon gas tank. now he just keeps a 2 gallon can in the front trunk and cycles it out with what he uses for the lawn mower. It's funny that he has a range extender yet hasn't had to use it.

Devilstower

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I picked up a 2011 Volt. It has 90K miles on it, but the batteries still test out great -- not one cell down. The area around my home is just the right kind of rolling terrain, so I can easily knock off > 40 miles on electric, even though the first generation doesn't quite have the range that the newer ones do. The official Chevy charger that it came with died after a couple of months, and GM wanted $600 for another, but I picked up an alternative for a third of that and I actually like it better.

This is actually the second Volt I've had. I leased another one the first year they made it into the area, but my lease ran out about four years ago. You know. About the time I was hoping to have my Elio.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hear that. I still run the 94 Ranger. But its repair bills are insane. I was tempted to get a used F-150, but decided to wait on the new Rangers at end of year. But the Elio is an "and" vehicle so would have had to upgrade the ranger anyway. But been nice to have the Elio as a backup vehicle for the aging Ranger till the new one comes out. But things go as they go.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear that. I still run the 94 Ranger. But its repair bills are insane. I was tempted to get a used F-150, but decided to wait on the new Rangers at end of year. But the Elio is an "and" vehicle so would have had to upgrade the ranger anyway. But been nice to have the Elio as a backup vehicle for the aging Ranger till the new one comes out. But things go as they go.
Well you have to do things as they are needed, and it sounds like the Ranger is ready to retire (poor old guy) but it happens.
Is there something special about the new Ranger?

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Its will have tons to go wrong. Shuts off in stop and go traffic, 10 speed transmission, 4 cylinder turbo charged engine. On the positive side, I like the size of a smaller pickup.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Its will have tons to go wrong. Shuts off in stop and go traffic, 10 speed transmission, 4 cylinder turbo charged engine. On the positive side, I like the size of a smaller pickup.
Arrghhh I hate those ignition systems, you feel like you have to restart it all the time, and the jury is still out on those tranny's, it depends if they constantly act like they're trying to find the right gear; I rode in an early version, and that was in a constant shift mode, it just couldn't find a gear it was happy in if you hit a certain speed, the newer ones are a lot better then those from just a few years ago, they don't seem to be shifting all the time. And the 4 turbo is the reason I turned away from a Blazer (Traverse) or any of those other 4 cylinders with turbo, I went Dodge, and got a V6 with a 6 speed, it runs beautifully.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I just found this on the Chevy PU:

2019 Silverado Engine Auto Stop-Start Is Defeatable

gmauthority.com_blog_wp_content_uploads_2018_01_2019_Chevroleta8e8858aba977560427a480d7ca1b234.jpg

Sponsored Links

If the introduction of the all-new 2019 Silverado 1500 didn’t bring a sufficient amount of excitement for you, then we have some more good news to share: the 2019 Silverado engine auto-stop start feature can be defeated (or disabled) by the driver via a button in the truck’s cabin.

Chevy’s all-new half-ton pickup has a button on the center console, third from the left in the horizontal row of controls, clearly shows the ability to disable the enable or disable the auto engine stop-start feature. Auto engine stop-start automatically shuts off the engine when the vehicle comes to a complete stop, such as at a stop sign or stop light. The system then automatically starts the engine back up as soon as it detects that the driver has lifted their foot off the brake pedal.

The button to toggle the engine auto stop-start button in a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Trailboss

Engine auto stop-start feature has occasionally been criticized by owners of vehicles with the feature. As such, the inclusion of a toggle do disable automatic engine stop-start functionality is noteworthy, especially given that other vehicles from Chevrolet and General Motors do not have such an option. For instance, the current Chevy Cruze (second generation), Chevy Malibu (eighth generation) and Buick LaCrosse (third generation), among other models with automatic transmissions, do not have a button to disable auto engine stop-start, although there are several workarounds, such as shifting the vehicle into sport and/or manual modes. Vehicles with manual transmissions are not equipped with the auto stop-start feature. Meanwhile, all Cadillac models except for the XT5 equipped with the feature have a button to disable the auto stop-start functionality.

We should note that it’s currently unclear whether disabling auto stop-start will turn off the feature completely until it is re-enabled by the driver, or whether it will automatically default to “on” at the next ignition cycle (the next time the vehicle is started). It’s also unknown whether all 2019 Silverado engine combinations will have the toggle to disable the engine auto stop-start feature. In other words, it’s possible (though unconfirmed) that some powertrain combinations will not have the aforementioned button to turn off auto stop-start, thereby always having the feature active.

Speaking of powertrains, Chevy has not yet announced all of the 2019 Silverado engines. The brand has officially stated that there will be six different powertrain combinations, but has so far only announced three of those six: two V-8 gasoline engines in 5.3L and 6.2L sizes, and a new 3.0L Duramax Diesel in an inline-six configuration. Many believe that the other three engines will be divulged after GMC announces its all-new 2019 Sierra on March 1. Until then, stay tuned to GM Authority for around-the-clock Silverado news coverage.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/02...-auto-stop-start-is-defeatable/#ixzz57oBe1VIe

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So if you get your Chevy with a stick, or leave it in "Sport" mode, it disables the auto-stop.
Figures that someone would figure out a way to disable it.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My new Elio is my old garage kept 2011 Focus.
I am not driving hundreds of thousands of miles anymore, and it should last way past the tentative Elio production date.
Neener Neener.

Top Bottom