• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Took Delivery Of My New Elio Today !

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two months ago I picked up a 2015 BMW i3 with REX at an insurance auction for $5K. It was rear ended but the rest was in great shape with only 26K on the clock. What is neat about them is that all of the body panels are bolted on and are made of some carbon fiber material (i.e. the LR quarter panel weighs 2 lbs). I found a salvage yard with one in the same color that was in a front end crash. So, they unbolted off the rear fenders, hatch, bumper cover, bumper and various trim. Even the hatch is so light I can lift it myself. Sent it to me for $1K. I unbolted the bad parts and bolted on the salvage already painted ones. It now looks like new. I got the software to modify the electronics on it and activated some features and then changed it to I have adjustment for when the REX comes on (the REX is a 2 cyl BMW motorcycle engine attached to a generator).

After a month of driving, it's been fine. The app that comes with it is cool because it allows you to precondition the car and tune on and off charging when you want. I travel in NJ pretty often and there are lots of charging points but the best one is at the BMW headquarters because it's a DC fast charge and it's free.
Great find! I wouldn't mine finding a fixer-upper like that at all!

Top Bottom