• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I'm Ba-a-ack

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have to agree with you on that, Jim. Especially south and southwest from us. They take their 'outdoor activities' serious out here!:)

Deer season right now. Not a good time to be hiking around without bright orange on!

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just curious John. Did they determine how the e.coli infection got in your blood stream? I've heard of people getting VERY sick from eating contaminated food, but haven't heard of it getting into the blood stream (which sounds very serious for sure). Any tips on how other's can avoid your situation?
I had a 12-needle biopsy of my prostate, which punches the needles through the colon wall into the prostate. About 4% of men who undergo this procedure get an infection. Unfortunately, it is the best way to do the biopsy. The difference between eating it and getting it like I did is that it is instantly in your bloodstream. I began running a fever about 16 hours after the procedure, and it all went downhill from there like a freight train. Some men, about 20%, harbor a form of e.coli that is resistant to Cipro, the antibiotic they normally give before the biopsy. Those little bugs in your bloodstream start producing toxins, and unchecked, shut down your internal organs, and kill you.
I underwent the biopsy because an MRI showed bright spots in my prostate, which, of course, might or might not be malignant. After all this, I am still waiting for the results of the biopsy!
So, unless you really need it, avoid this procedure. You just might get into a situation where you need it.
Here is the absolutely best advice: If you must have a needle biopsy of your prostate, guys, ask your surgeon to swab your patootie and run a culture to see if you are carrying a resistant strain of e.coli. 20% of us DO, and the doctors could then use an antibiotic the strain is not resistant to. My surgeon did not do this.

Last edited:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a 12-needle biopsy of my prostate, which punches the needles through the colon wall into the prostate. About 4% of men who undergo this procedure get an infection. Unfortunately, it is the best way to do the biopsy. The difference between eating it and getting it like I did is that it is instantly in your bloodstream. I began running a fever about 16 hours after the procedure, and it all went downhill from there like a freight train. Some men, about 20%, harbor a form of e.coli that is resistant to Cipro, the antibiotic they normally give before the biopsy. Those little bugs in your bloodstream start producing toxins, and unchecked, shut down your internal organs, and kill you.
I underwent the biopsy because an MRI showed bright spots in my prostate, which, of course, might or might not be malignant. After all this, I am still waiting for the results of the biopsy!
So, unless you really need it, avoid this procedure. You just might get into a situation where you need it.
Here is the absolutely best advice: If you must have a needle biopsy of your prostate, guys, ask your surgeon to swab your patootie and run a culture to see if you are carrying a resistant strain of e.coli. 20% of us DO, and the doctors could then use an antibiotic the strain is resistant to. My surgeon did not do this.
Thanks for the sound medical advice. Hopefully, anyone who needs this test will remember your caution.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone,
I went in last week for a biopsy and came out with an e.coli infection in my bloodstream. Almost left the scene Friday night, but double IVs with massive antibiotics finally kicked in, just as my blood pressure was disappearing.
So, now I'm home with orders to stay put for the week, which is good, 'cause I have lots of Elio madness to catch up on.
JP
That is very scary. I'm very glad you are still with us. Take care of yourself and don't push too hard to get back up to speed. If you missed a whole week of us - you will have plenty to keep you entertained for a while. :-) Z

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is very scary. I'm very glad you are still with us. Take care of yourself and don't push too hard to get back up to speed. If you missed a whole week of us - you will have plenty to keep you entertained for a while. :) Z
Thanks, Lady Z. Catching up is proving mind-boggling and lots of fun. I laugh out loud a lot, reading our forum. Kinda an online extended family.

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is the absolutely best advice: If you must have a needle biopsy of your prostate, guys, ask your surgeon to swab your patootie and run a culture to see if you are carrying a resistant strain of e.coli. 20% of us DO, and the doctors could then use an antibiotic the strain is not resistant to. My surgeon did not do this.

OMG I knew a guy at work, went in for colonoscopy and was dead 2 days later! Apparently, they tore the walls of the colon and shit (literally) was flowing into his body. Glad you caught it in time.......

I'm not real religious, but I do believe we all have a time. When/Were who knows.......God kept you here for a reason :) Okay that sounded religiously LOL. I'm just glad you made it through.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OMG I knew a guy at work, went in for colonoscopy and was dead 2 days later! Apparently, they tore the walls of the colon and shit (literally) was flowing into his body. Glad you caught it in time.......

I'm not real religious, but I do believe we all have a time. When/Were who knows.......God kept you here for a reason :) Okay that sounded religiously LOL. I'm just glad you made it through.
Hope for you yet Lock! ;)

Top Bottom