• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic W/no Cell Internet

TMOSteel

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I know I'm late to the party but I think for the money the OBD II type devices are the way to go, compared to what Skyz has to offer. I posted somewhere about the "Automatic" and it looks like there are many more such devices nowadays:

http://postscapes.com/connected-car-devices/

I have no need for a connected 4G device in the car when my phone is more than capable of providing that. Elio would have been better offering a head unit with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, not this rinky dink system from Skyz...

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party but I think for the money the OBD II type devices are the way to go, compared to what Skyz has to offer. I posted somewhere about the "Automatic" and it looks like there are many more such devices nowadays:

I have no need for a connected 4G device in the car when my phone is more than capable of providing that. Elio would have been better offering a head unit with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, not this rinky dink system from Skyz...

All options are not finalized yet, who's to say such a system won't be an option in the configurator? Send an e-mail to Elio! :D

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Skyz @ 2K is too much. I will be happy with the dash and utilize one of my Garmin GPS's for navigation. I am also going to install my own stereo system in my Elio. I will go through Crutchfield for that purchase. I have used them many times over the years and have never had a problem with the installation. My Elio will be considered a toy and I will have fun customizing it with LED lighting. I have always had an LED fetish and it will be fun turning it into a moving Christmas tree. Yes, I will be seen. I am getting so close to needing a new car and have been holding off for two years now waiting for my Elio. Lets hope production starts sooner than later.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Skyz @ 2K is too much. I will be happy with the dash and utilize one of my Garmin GPS's for navigation. I am also going to install my own stereo system in my Elio. I will go through Crutchfield for that purchase. I have used them many times over the years and have never had a problem with the installation. My Elio will be considered a toy and I will have fun customizing it with LED lighting. I have always had an LED fetish and it will be fun turning it into a moving Christmas tree. Yes, I will be seen. I am getting so close to needing a new car and have been holding off for two years now waiting for my Elio. Lets hope production starts sooner than later.
Don't buy it through Crutchfield unless you like paying too much. Use them for information but buy through Amazon.
Someone else was a Crutchfield "fan"; every unit they showed they had picked out, Amazon had the same thing for $100 to $200 less (if not more).
I was burned buying some woofers from Crutchfield; bought them a week later I found the same woofers on Amazon for 1/2 of what I paid.
The internet is a fantastic shopping tool if you use it; if you don't the only one that loses is the person buying.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

It may be a rinky dink system, but it is an expensive rinky dink system

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't buy it through Crutchfield unless you like paying too much. Use them for information but buy through Amazon.
Someone else was a Crutchfield "fan"; every unit they showed they had picked out, Amazon had the same thing for $100 to $200 less (if not more).
I was burned buying some woofers from Crutchfield; bought them a week later I found the same woofers on Amazon for 1/2 of what I paid.
The internet is a fantastic shopping tool if you use it; if you don't the only one that loses is the person buying.

My experience with amazon and crutchfield is that yes you may pay more at crutchfield but you also get service and support from crutchfield. Amazon seems to be a clearing house. If you know exactly what you want, know how to put it together, can collect the additional bits such as wiring adapters, etc. then Amazon might be good for you. If what you buy from Amazon ends up needing warranty than have fun tracking down the manufacture to get it fixed.

I've bought through many places and in my experience crutchfield isn't always the most expensive place to buy. In my experience, the first to market stuff is marked up a great deal but stuff that has been around a bit hasn't cost anything near the $100+ markup you are talking about. In fact, when I bought Denon and Onkyo receivers from Crutchfield they were very competitive and they provided additional wiring labeling. When I bought 2 different car stereos from Crutchfield they supplied the 1DIN adaptor and wiring harness and again at a price that was competitive with others.

When I had a a receiver I bought from Denon go bad after a year of use, Denon took it back and replaced it with a newer model. They even paid shipping.

So, ultimately different experiences.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My experience with amazon and crutchfield is that yes you may pay more at crutchfield but you also get service and support from crutchfield. Amazon seems to be a clearing house. If you know exactly what you want, know how to put it together, can collect the additional bits such as wiring adapters, etc. then Amazon might be good for you. If what you buy from Amazon ends up needing warranty than have fun tracking down the manufacture to get it fixed.

I've bought through many places and in my experience crutchfield isn't always the most expensive place to buy. In my experience, the first to market stuff is marked up a great deal but stuff that has been around a bit hasn't cost anything near the $100+ markup you are talking about. In fact, when I bought Denon and Onkyo receivers from Crutchfield they were very competitive and they provided additional wiring labeling. When I bought 2 different car stereos from Crutchfield they supplied the 1DIN adaptor and wiring harness and again at a price that was competitive with others.

When I had a a receiver I bought from Denon go bad after a year of use, Denon took it back and replaced it with a newer model. They even paid shipping.

So, ultimately different experiences.
Because I normally do all of my own work I know what to do and who to contact if and when I have a problem.
I will admit, they are the steps that most folks won't go through if and when they have a problem.
So I'm speaking from a personal angle; but for the items I buy, I rarely if ever have problems with them later.
If I do run into a problem; I will do the troubleshooting; I keep forgetting that a lot of the steps I do that seem simple to me, aren't for others.
That's where I've always been willing to offer help if I recommend something, and it has a problem later.

Dam that's wordy for saying what I'm thinking. I guess it was just some type of auto-response my brain kicked into.
Let me go reset, and I'll get back to you. :confused:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because I normally do all of my own work I know what to do and who to contact if and when I have a problem.
I will admit, they are the steps that most folks won't go through if and when they have a problem.
So I'm speaking from a personal angle; but for the items I buy, I rarely if ever have problems with them later.
If I do run into a problem; I will do the troubleshooting; I keep forgetting that a lot of the steps I do that seem simple to me, aren't for others.
That's where I've always been willing to offer help if I recommend something, and it has a problem later.

Dam that's wordy for saying what I'm thinking. I guess it was just some type of auto-response my brain kicked into.
Let me go reset, and I'll get back to you. :confused:

I know what you are saying. If you are well versed it is easy enough to know what you need and assemble the parts without help. If you aren't it is nice to have somebody that can package all the parts you don't know about and offer assistance when you get stuck.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I know what you are saying. If you are well versed it is easy enough to know what you need and assemble the parts without help. If you aren't it is nice to have somebody that can package all the parts you don't know about and offer assistance when you get stuck.
Yeah, that works.;)

What he said :p

Top Bottom