• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Informative Video

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
dashgauges-jpg.10662.jpg

Those are definitely NOT Elgin dash instruments.
No they aren't. On other pictures, you can see that they are just kind of "in place" there and don't fit the opening very well. It's going to be okay though.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see a muffler there, where do you suppose it will be located? Or are they going with a straight pipe?

I posted this to display the area of the body UNDER the 'bulge' exhaust pipe cover. The cover look like it will be necessary to cover the body panel opening, and not just simply removed to expose the exhaust pipe. Drat. Good question...where's the muff?

RightSideRear.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I posted this to display the area of the body UNDER the 'bulge' exhaust pipe cover. The cover look like it will be necessary to cover the body panel opening, and not just simply removed to expose the exhaust pipe. Drat. Good question...where's the muff?

View attachment 10685
Maybe a combination muffler/catalytic converter tucked close to the engine where a catalytic converter is more effective?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems like there's plenty of room for a close-coupled cat in the engine compartment. And that would reduce the heat being transferred to the cockpit.
I wonder if anyone ever tried using the heat from a catalytic converter to help the heater... You know, a big heatsink that feeds into an "intake" for the heater that could be closed when the air conditioner was being used.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone ever tried using the heat from a catalytic converter to help the heater... You know, a big heatsink that feeds into an "intake" for the heater that could be closed when the air conditioner was being used.
One could, but that's what the hot engine coolant is for when it goes through the heater core.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One could, but that's what the hot engine coolant is for when it goes through the heater core.
Obviously. Would it be cheaper to skip the plumbing and use a heat sink? probably not but how about this? ---- the heat sink would be hot almost instantly and it would at least warm the air up a little before the engine finally heated up enough to heat up all it's coolant and start producing real heat. My truck has an electric heater element in the ductwork that comes on when it's really cold and THAT is REALLY nice... instant warmth in the truck before the engine and heated seats and heated steering wheel and mirrors and windows all catch up. (spoiled a little here...)

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Taking heat from the cat would cool it down. Catalytic converters need to be hot to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio.jpe

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Jun 30, 19:00 EDT

Hello Coss!
Thanks for checking in.
Great eye! The dash you see is a placeholder, as this is not a public vehicle and will be used for testing. However, the electronics and spacing are the same. At this stage, there are no plans to offer an optional dash.
Thanks again!

Best,
The Elio Team

The instrument cluster will be the Elgin only, period.

If you want something else, it will have to be aftermarket.
I already have plans for the gauges I'm using; someone else that is getting one of my setups named it the "Coss Cluster"

Hey Coss,

Thanks for the heads up... Kinda hard to understand their stubbornness on this issue... You reckon maybe they had already bought several box car loads of the Elgin cluster and they got to use 'em or take a loss? LOL ;)
Well it won't be a major expense to change it out to something that looks and functions better... I'm already planning on an aftermarket stereo/gps unit to replace the stock unit... It's all good... Just need the trike so I can get started!:D

h_r:cool:

Top Bottom