• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Interior Dash

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A bit larger and clearer view of the console -- same pic, slightly higher quality

https://app.box.com/s/f6l40ztd9dwswm91cw2dxz796go3dq4c

Yay! It looks like they took everybody's advice and re-calibrated the Speedo to be in 5 MPH ticks, with a wider span between ticks. Awesome!

I also just thought of a mod I would like to look into. Rather than replace the Elgin, what if the RPM and/or Speedo "wheels" could be replaced with colored ones? For instance, the low RPM range would be cooler colors, and the higher the RPMs go the warmer the color gets, until a sharp cut-off between neon orange and bright red indicates the "red line". That way, a driver needs only glance at the color of the dial rather than trying to read the numbers (though numbers would still be present). It would still take getting used to, but I imagine it would soon become as familiar as glancing to see needle position.

As a side-thought, an even easier mod might be to tap into the OBDII to grab the RPM signal, then program a multi-color LED "mood light" to cycle from cold-to-warm as the RPMs go up.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A bit larger and clearer view of the console -- same pic, slightly higher quality

That head unit doesn't look like it uses a standard single DIN opening unless the unit is somehow surface mounted so that the faceplate is hiding the DIN opening. Might start calling it the Elio Pill because of its shape.

Follow up: Having rethought this through, I realize most if not all head units hide the opening to some degree with their fascia. Concern duly withdrawn.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That head unit doesn't look like it uses a standard single DIN opening unless the unit is somehow surface mounted so that the faceplate is hiding the DIN opening. Might start calling it the Elio Pill because of its shape.

Due to EM's insistance on keeping everything cheap and interchangable, I'm positive that head unit is "hiding" the single DIN--as you say. No worries there. I have a nice after-market unit I pulled from a previous car that was heading to the scrapper, so I might just get a stock Elio and put in that unit :)

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Nice, clear photo.

A main concern about the dash gauges is the glare/contrast of the silver rings and numerals on the dials - its annoying and makes them hard to read in addition to the driver having to process numerals on a spinning gauge like some kind of slot machine instead of a rotating pointer which is intuitive. Could be a safety hazard contributory to accidents. Hope EM considers toning down the contrast, perhaps going to black on the face rings.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
T
Yay! It looks like they took everybody's advice and re-calibrated the Speedo to be in 5 MPH ticks, with a wider span between ticks. Awesome!

I also just thought of a mod I would like to look into. Rather than replace the Elgin, what if the RPM and/or Speedo "wheels" could be replaced with colored ones? For instance, the low RPM range would be cooler colors, and the higher the RPMs go the warmer the color gets, until a sharp cut-off between neon orange and bright red indicates the "red line". That way, a driver needs only glance at the color of the dial rather than trying to read the numbers (though numbers would still be present). It would still take getting used to, but I imagine it would soon become as familiar as glancing to see needle position.

As a side-thought, an even easier mod might be to tap into the OBDII to grab the RPM signal, then program a multi-color LED "mood light" to cycle from cold-to-warm as the RPMs go up.
That wouldn't help us color blind folks.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I hope that is just a rendering on the dial/wheels, but looks like they are using 7.5 MPH ticks? The speedo goes from 0 - tick - 15 and not 0 - tick - 10.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope that is just a rendering on the dial/wheels, but looks like they are using 7.5 MPH ticks? The speedo goes from 0 - tick - 15 and not 0 - tick - 10.

You may be right, I guess I just assumed that the first tick was 10, with 5MPH increments after that. It wasn't a concious assumption, just the automatic processing of the image. Perhaps whoever rendered/produced the dial made the same mistake? I wouldn't worry about it, if the intention is to have ticks at every 5MPH then that is what the rest of the wheel will show.

Top Bottom