• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Interior Dash

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Good catch!
I was under the impression that the odometer is a legal requirement.
If you operate (aka license) the vehicle on normal roads, it is.
If the vehicle is purpose built for anything else, a engine hour isn't required, but it is the only way to can prove how much / how long something has been run; so you'll find one on those type. (Boats, construction equipment, etc.)

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Incorrect........
If you look closely, in the middle towards the bottom between the 2 round "gauge" faces, you'll see a little rectangular window.
It's a digital read on inside that window.

Buttons are more expensive; you'll just press the < and > arrows to move up or down the "dial"
The Up and down arrows are probably for setting the tone (More or Less)
Yes, I noticed the window but they did not have an odometer there.

Yes, buttons are more expensive. Having a more complex integrated circuit to navigate through the menus is less expensive than buttons.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I noticed the window but they did not have an odometer there.

Yes, buttons are more expensive. Having a more complex integrated circuit to navigate through the menus is less expensive than buttons.
Being digital, you'll only see it when the key is on.
Kind of like the idiot lights; they don't light up till you turn on the ignition.

As for the integrated circuit, they are so common place now, they probably run a few cents now.
Here's a couple of examples off of eBay

First one is for a lot of 240; second one is for a lot of 640
So the first one is 0.017 of a cent each; the second one is 0.006 of a cent each.

This is why old style is pretty much out; the new style is aimed at the majority of the buying public 19 thru 49 years old.
That group has grown up with touch screen, menus and the such.

IC in bulk.gif

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is finalized. Luv it. Simple direct and unassuming.

View attachment 9104

I like the set up. I actually really like the ultra simplistic radio, though it doesn't appear we'll be able to save the stations we like for quick access, but that's ok. I'm also really liking their choice for heat/AC controls.

I just hope the MP3 plug in will be more than just a charger and actually allow us to plug in and listen to our ipod music on the actual car stereo.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"New" technology isn't necessarily good. I recall when the telephone company (remember them?) introduced Centrex, an arcane business telephone system that put a WORLD of functions at your fingertips from an ordinary 10-button phone on your desk. Well, that was the story, anyway. I worked for a large publishing company, printing among the magazines and periodicals, most of the phone books for the central states. So we were "honored" with one of the first Centrex systems in the country about 1976 - that came with a pair of legs sticking out from under the double-rack that sat in the reception area . . . it had it's own dedicated Bell tech who practically lived under it.

From your phone you could dial "9" to get an outside line, "8" an intercom line (prior to dialing the number). You could dial "80" for "page all", or a series of "8_" numbers to page certain departments or warehouses. You could forward calls, redial, message, ringback, and do all kinds of techie stuff, but just making an ordinary phone call outside the building was a serious problem. Occasionally Centrex would just hang up on everyone - for no apparent reason. I always had to warn my customers that this might happen during our call (it was common to happen 3-4 times a day) . . . and this didn't help us look professional AT ALL. We wasted more time looking up how to put a call on "Hold" than we would simply calling the number back. When you had a second line break in, more often than not, switching to the other call would cause you to hang up on both. Although we had this advanced technology throughout the offices we still needed two full-time "operators" to shepard the calls.

I owned an early "digital" watch that could perform dozens of functions including time, day, date, stopwatch (3 modes), alarm, countdown timer, and a couple of other functions I never could figure out (the instructions were in a weird early Chinglish that was indecipherable). The trick to this watch was that it had only three buttons (plus one that turned a light on and off so I could read the LCD screen in the dark), meaning that all normal operations required a dance on the three remaining buttons to select and operate the various functions. After six months when the "gold-tone" began to rub off, I ditched it . . . going back to an analog watch that told me the time and date without having to push a long sequence of buttons to get to the prime reason I wear a watch in the first place.

After a few assorted calculators and PDA's came and went I found that there is a mindset somewhere, primarily in the Far East, that buttons are bad. This forces you through a series of sub-menus and long-short-long-long button pushes to reach the desired function, and any mistake cannot be backed out, but requires starting over. Yes, I even had a Casio day-planner that was a nightmare to program with all your phone contacts and calendar. Of course when the batteries died you had to replace them - requiring you re-enter ALL of the data because the device had no storage. :doh:

Today I carry a Windows phone. It does everything well and links to my desktop, cloud accounts, and e-mail accounts quickly and easily. Not great, but it's certainly on par with Android and Apple phones that I've owned. If you're a Windows user, it's all pretty intuitive and the platform works well because it seldom outsmarts me.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The major problem with Centrex was that someone in your HR department got to pick the options.
As we all know HR people have no idea what we do or what we need to get the job done.
As a result, they ask for what they think is needed even though they have never done the job.
I remember I requested someone with advanced shell and AWK skills.
They told me I was looking for a UNIX sys adm.
No! I was looking for someone who could manage an integrated environment that required seven NCR 3700 computers running 4 unique Oracle databases setup to act has a locally housed distributed system and one full backup system with two remote mini test versions that could run multiple instances of the full system. And among other things, we had to run nationwide NPA splits every two or three months.
When I explained what we needed they insisted that I needed a C programmer despite the fact that I told them we had made a decision to use shell and AWK for technical reasons.
To err is human, to totally screw things up requires a computer, to really make a mess requires an HR department.
Do me / us a favor please? Move your post to "All Things Geek"
This has absolutely nothing to do with the Elio dash .

Lil4X could you do the same please.

I can merge full threads, don't know if I can move single posts.

Thanks.

Coss -

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do me / us a favor please? Move your post to "All Things Geek"
This has absolutely nothing to do with the Elio dash .

Lil4X could you do the same please.

I can merge full threads, don't know if I can move single posts.

Thanks.

Coss -

Happy to if you can tell me how. WH
I was responding to something in the thread it was in.

Top Bottom