• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Interior Dash

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope that is just a rendering on the dial/wheels, but looks like they are using 7.5 MPH ticks? The speedo goes from 0 - tick - 15 and not 0 - tick - 10.
But it appears that the tick is only 1/3rd of the way to the 15 which makes me think it's still 10 MPH numbering, hopefully with ticks halfway between, but starting with 15, ie 15 25 35 45 55 65 75 85 95 to correlate with the most common speed limit postings.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But it appears that the tick is only 1/3rd of the way to the 15 which makes me think it's still 10 MPH numbering, hopefully with ticks halfway between, but starting with 15, ie 15 25 35 45 55 65 75 85 95 to correlate with the most common speed limit postings.
I minimal suggestion if this is the case is to ad a second tick at 10 MPH. Thereafter alternating numbers with ticks.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That head unit doesn't look like it uses a standard single DIN opening unless the unit is somehow surface mounted so that the faceplate is hiding the DIN opening. Might start calling it the Elio Pill because of its shape.

Follow up: Having rethought this through, I realize most if not all head units hide the opening to some degree with their fascia. Concern duly withdrawn.

I know I already replied to this and you have already withdrawn the question, but NEW INFORMATION has surfaced that I wanted to point out :)

According to THIS ARTICLE from Yahoo (posted elsewhere on this forum)....
Yahoo News said:
"...For example, components such as the air vents, HVAC controls, radio head unit and speaker mounts, as well as headlight, turn signal and other switches, follow industry-standard conventions for design, mounting and attachment. This not only keeps cost down, but it also facilitates swapability in upgrading certain vehicle components to avoid obsolescence...."
Bold emphasis is my own. :D

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice, clear photo.

A main concern about the dash gauges is the glare/contrast of the silver rings and numerals on the dials - its annoying and makes them hard to read in addition to the driver having to process numerals on a spinning gauge like some kind of slot machine instead of a rotating pointer which is intuitive. Could be a safety hazard contributory to accidents. Hope EM considers toning down the contrast, perhaps going to black on the face rings.
EM is aware of this reflection problem and is aware decoding numbers is a lot harder than judging a needle's positiohn. This is the choice Paul has made, and I really don't think it's going to be changed until someone with the iihs or some other such powerful body raises hell about it. At least they enlarged the numbers a bit, put in more frequent indicators, and darkened everything except those bloody dial faces. Better thsn nothing.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Incorrect........
If you look closely, in the middle towards the bottom between the 2 round "gauge" faces, you'll see a little rectangular window.
It's a digital read on inside that window.

Buttons are more expensive; you'll just press the < and > arrows to move up or down the "dial"
The Up and down arrows are probably for setting the tone (More or Less)

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having lots of buttons, as on radios and stereos, is considered unattractive. But the fewer buttons there is, the more a person must drill down through lots of menus which is user unfriendly and distracting from driving.

I prefer having radio station preset buttons.

https://app.box.com/s/f6l40ztd9dwswm91cw2dxz796go3dq4c
I prefer something like this with navigation/multi-format disc player/removable faceplate.
BOSS BV9980NV Single DIN 7 inch Bluetooth Navigation Receiver for Vehicles
boss receiver.jpg

Top Bottom