• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is The Cam Drive Belt Or Chain?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I prefer a chain to a belt any day, Belts stretch More than chains and are costly to replace.
Actually, a chain costs almost the same to change... both have tensioners and you have to take the front end off either motor. Now, if you mean that chains don't have to be changed as often, you are probably correct. I find both to be rather simple to change once you have the front pulley and cover off.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, a chain costs almost the same to change... both have tensioners and you have to take the front end off either motor. Now, if you mean that chains don't have to be changed as often, you are probably correct. I find both to be rather simple to change once you have the front pulley and cover off.

It all depends on the engine. I have gotten quite good at VW TDI timing belt changes. I can do them in 4-6 hours, depending on the model. That includes a new water pump, too.

Most dealerships charge over $2,000 to do it properly... or about $1,900 to do it completely wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It all depends on the engine. I have gotten quite good at VW TDI timing belt changes. I can do them in 4-6 hours, depending on the model. That includes a new water pump, too.

Most dealerships charge over $2,000 to do it properly... or about $1,900 to do it completely wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True... Depends on the engine. But, if someone gave you two identical engines, one with a chain, one with a belt, it would take the same amount of time either way.

Top Bottom